Bernier = Latendresse

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Is it safe to say that Guillaume Latendresse is basically on the same road as Steve Bernier? In the way how everyone said they are too slow and will have trouble in the NHL? well Bernier is killing it in the NHL after 4 years of junior and a half a year in the AHL. I think Latendresse will end up taking this path.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Bernier has had success at the NHL level. Wait for Latendresse to have a chance before calling him the next Bernier. That said, I agree with you. Latendresse is your typical power forward, called slow and lazy, and he has a chance to prove the doubters wrong, like Bernier did.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Richard_Zednik said:
Is it safe to say that Guillaume Latendresse is basically on the same road as Steve Bernier? In the way how everyone said they are too slow and will have trouble in the NHL? well Bernier is killing it in the NHL after 4 years of junior and a half a year in the AHL. I think Latendresse will end up taking this path.

Could be a pretty good comparison...I don`t know Bernier`s game enough to see if he is as much of a ``power forward`` as Latendresse. I see that Bernier def. has the skills though, which i think Guillaume has as well. What I love about Latendresse though is that he just hits everything moving when hes on his game and at 18 hes already built like an nhler as apparently hes pretty huge. But good comparison so far.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
They both might be players whose skills are better suited for the NHL game...

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
From what I've seen of them, Bernier looks a little more skilled and faster. Latendresse still has some stuff to work on before he is a quality top-6 power forward.

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
Thats why Latendresse has

DaveyCrockett said:
From what I've seen of them, Bernier looks a little more skilled and faster. Latendresse still has some stuff to work on before he is a quality top-6 power forward.

to go through Ahl path, everybody from habs bandwagon wanted him NHL this year, hope slow developoment will bring out the best from him, habs have done it so many times before!!

Last edited:

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
DaveyCrockett said:

Latendresse is on his way to his 4th season and Bernier i heard only really got his game going in his 4th season, Latendresse wont have the distractions he had this season and will be able to concentrate on the things he needs to improve, a season in the AHL he will greatly improve.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Habs4ever said:
to go through Ahl path, everybody from habs bandwagon wanted him NHL this year, hope slow developoment will bring out the best from him, habs have done it so many times before!!
yeah you know with Ron Hainsey and Marcel Hossa

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
There are some fairly significant differences between the two of them actually. Bernier is, in my mind, fairly significantly more skilled. Bernier truly has tremendous puck skills and is also a much better skater. Latendresse is more of a true power forward. Whereas fans got frustrated by the fact that Bernier would often try to make the skilled play in junior, Latendresse uses his size way, way, way better overall and plays a more physical, confrontational game. They are both big francophones who get labelled as power forwards, but their games aren't as similar as one would immediately think.

Ape Clutch

Jul 19, 2004
golleafsgo_17 said:
yeah you know with Ron Hainsey and Marcel Hossa

Oh shut up... atleast we have prospects to talk about...where are yours? where are you? Out of the playoffs...no prospects... a very bad 8 years ahead of you buddy...good luck!!

Lats>Bernier

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
There are some fairly significant differences between the two of them actually. Bernier is, in my mind, fairly significantly more skilled. Bernier truly has tremendous puck skills and is also a much better skater. Latendresse is more of a true power forward. Whereas fans got frustrated by the fact that Bernier would often try to make the skilled play in junior, Latendresse uses his size way, way, way better overall and plays a more physical, confrontational game. They are both big francophones who get labelled as power forwards, but their games aren't as similar as one would immediately think.

That's an interesting analysis. There might be a place for Latendresse on the bottom 6 (with spot duty on special teams and top 6) and a chance to grow into a scoring role. If he uses his size and plays a simple but effective physical game, he'll get to the NHL quicker than if he would as a top 6 scoring forward.

KH1

Kanye West said:
Oh shut up... atleast we have prospects to talk about...where are yours? where are you? Out of the playoffs...no prospects... a very bad 8 years ahead of you buddy...good luck!!

Lats>Bernier

:biglaugh: I really love it how you decided that he can't speak about the Habs because the Maple Leafs suck. Just because Toronto is out of the playoffs doesn't make Hainsey or Hossa (or Lantendresse, for that matter) any better.

X-SHARKIE

Kanye West said:

Lats>Bernier

Great post, you made quite the strong arguament for Hainsey and Hossa along with future Habs prospects.

In all seriousness though, I agree with Matt, but the thing that really separates Bernier from Latendresse is Steve's vision of the ice and creativity. Finishing touch is something both have however.

Surfer Dude

Dec 29, 2005
It's funny, when Lat fell in the draft, I was thinking of Bernier, O'Sullivan, and Schremp. Different types of players with character issues that are going to be good, in case of Bernier, great.

Transported Upstater

People need to keep in mind that Bernier is playing well at the NHL level.

Latendresse still has one more year in junior.

Pure Rock Fury*

Not to mention Bernier has showed he can be a wrecking ball down low while playing against grown men.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Kanye West said:

Lats>Bernier

You should try growing up. You don't like what someone says so you resort to cheap out of the playoffs crap, well if you know what Karma is, it won't be so funny come tuesday.

The funny part is that non Hab & Leaf fans must be so sick of reading all the stupid crap from the two fanbases cause it's a given any bad thing said about one side from the other and the thread goes down the toilet faster then a fat man at an all you can eat convention.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
rohan said:
Bernier has had success at the NHL level. Wait for Latendresse to have a chance before calling him the next Bernier. That said, I agree with you. Latendresse is your typical power forward, called slow and lazy, and he has a chance to prove the doubters wrong, like Bernier did.

Wait for next year before you say that Bernier has "made it"

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
clay said:
Latendresse is a lot softer than Bernier.

I think that like another poster already said, Latendresse, just like Bernier, will be a better pro player. Sometimes in the Q, it just seems like he don't want to be there. But in pre-season with the Habs, he was one of the best player. I know that it wasn't against the best players of the NHL, but he wasn't soft at all.

Maybe it's not the best attitude to take, but who cares...down the road, both Bernier and Latendresse will be great players...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad