News Article: Bernier Comments after the Montreal Game [to French Reporters]

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
can a militant coaching strategy still work in this day and age?

you're literally dealing with millionaires

I have liked Carlyle more than I thought I would and do think he's a good coach but the reality is maybe coaches like Babcock, Byslma, MacLean are the way to go

can't wait for 24/7

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
This entire team is playing without much mojo.

They did the same thing under Wilson before he left.

Seems like a broader-based team mentality to get Carlyle out.

MacArthur and Grabovski's words, as well as Komarov's exit have pretty much convinced me, that the team doesn't like playing for Carlyle.
Didn't players dislike Scotty Bowman?Not comparing Carlyle to Bowman, just asking actually

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
That Spark should be their inflated paychecks they deposit every week. If their less greedy, its the excitement of playing in front of thousands of fans and millions of people watching. I'd be thrilled to play hockey for a living and retire at the age of 35, these athletes need to suck it up.

VERY small percentage of NHL players can enjoy this luxury.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Bernier hits the nail on the head with that interview - this team does not prepare well for games. That lies directly on the coaching staff when you have a team as young as ours. We don't have those seasoned vets to help show these kids how to regularly prepare for games. Our coaches need to guide them, while making sure they don't get tuned out.

A team that falls into long slumps every year/has consistency issues most of the time needs some strong leadership. At this point, its evident this is a culture issue, not a talent problem. This team has ALOT of talent.

We need to get some hard-nosed veterans on this team. The cheapest way to get that is to get some hard working 3rd/4th liners or a couple steady bottom pairing D.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
That Spark should be their inflated paychecks they deposit every week. If their less greedy, its the excitement of playing in front of thousands of fans and millions of people watching. I'd be thrilled to play hockey for a living and retire at the age of 35, these athletes need to suck it up.
Enough with this "woe is me" crap.... they make a lot of money that you don't. Fact is they all make that money and they all play in front of the fans so why is that any more of a spark then the other team has? They're losing, it sucks, they've lost confidence... now they have to get it back. That's all he's saying.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Some one needs to say something.

These guys need to wake the **** up.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
The team has hit a dry patch. Scoring is down considerably, goaltending has come back down to earth, and we've had trouble defending all season. Factor our injuries into the equation and its been a really rough few weeks. Definitely cannot see Carlyle or Nonis being comfortable with this blueline for remainder of season, so I would expect to see some changes. Team also needs to start working harder and playing more competitive. MTL were first to every loose puck on Saturday and played far more physical. No time to be panicking, but certainly some room for concern.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada

Minus the "inflated" bit that is pretty much the driving factor behind why people go to work of any kind. Hockey players who make the NHL are lucky in that they make money doing something that they in most cases love to do...not always an option when earning a paycheque...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad