Bernier and the Vezina

Cotton

May 13, 2013
After watching the Leafs beat on Anaheim last night, in which Bernier was the difference once again with a 43 save performance, I checked out the league leaders and found that in his first full year, thus far, amongst tenders having played atleast 30 games he's tied for second in Sv%, and amongst the six tenders likely to have a shot at winning the Vezina he's faced the most shots by a large margin, 2nd most in the league beyond Mike Smith and considering he's playing on one of the worst defensive teams in the league, I'm wondering what people think his realistic shot is of having a shot at the Vezina.

Bernier's played 67 less minutes then Rask yet faced over 300 more shots and has the same Sv%. In my opinion Bishop and Rask will fight it out for the Jennings (Lowest GAA) but at this point I think Bernier is runner up to Bishop for the Vezina with a strong argument supporting him having been the best tender.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/statistics/?sh...&prefilter=2-1

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Could very easily argue Bernie should be in consideration, but don't think he has any chance of winning. Maybe finish 5th or so.

Price - Has played well this year, and with his stellar performance at the Olympics he will be looked at more favourably.
Bobrovsky - Since coming back from injury he has been amazing and is a large reason Columbus is currently sitting in a playoff spot. If they make the playoffs I think he can repeat.
Bishop - Many didn't have Tampa doing that well this year. Bishop has brought the team to 2nd in the Atlantic for much of the year.
Rask - Because he is Rask.
Lundqvist - Because he is Lundqvist.
Mason - Won't be a threat to win but will be getting some votes still. At times this year he has carried the Flyers.

And that's just the east.

Out west there is still the likes of Miller, Quick and Varlamov. Harding too in the limited time he has been able to play this year was amazing, not sure if he will qualify though. But then there has also been Scrivens who has believe it or not improved his sv% since being traded to Edmonton.

Bernier has been good. But I don't think he has been vezina winning good.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Bernier's stats are among the best, that can't be disputed, but he doesn't have enough shut out's to get the Vezina. Most of the leaders have 4 so, Bernier only has 1.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Bernier is the reason the Leafs are where they are in the standings and his sv% among the best definitely worthy of Vezina recognition no doubt about it.

When your team is 30th in shots against and your goalie is among the sv% leaders the decision should be an easy one.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Bernier has definitely been great but he doesn't have the 'name pedigree' just yet I feel, and also the fact that he wasn't really the true starter (though his usage would show us otherwise) until about December also hurts him a little bit, whereas a guy like Bishop who even though didn't have the pedigree of a guy like Lundqvist has been the undisputed starter for Tampa and his performance has been too hard to ignore to this point. Then there's Rask who's always good and plays for a Cup contender. :dunno:

Honestly though if it were up to me I think it should be Bishop, followed by 2 of Bernier/Miller/Varlamov for the last two spots. As much as Miller annoys me, you can't ignore what he's done this season. His workload has been even tougher than Bernier, and he played behind a god awful team for most of the year yet still sports an amazing sv%. Varlamov has also been excellent and is leading Colorado to their best finish in years.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Funnily enough, about 10 minutes ago on Hockey Central the question was posed, Is Bernier now in the Vezina conversation, and is he now amongst the elite netminders in the league.

Result: no answer about the Vezina, and if he's as solid in the playoffs then yes, he's one of the elite.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He won't win obviously but he will likely get some votes.

I'm so impressed by his play and would say he has a decent shot at winning the Vezina in the next few years.

Rollcage

Apr 26, 2012
Toronto
He's not going to win it this year. No goalie is ever going to be considered "elite" in his first season as a starter unless your name is Patrick Roy.

In a couple years? Maybe.

He tends to play like a god most days, but he makes some really bad mistakes.

Rollcage

Apr 26, 2012
Toronto
Result: no answer about the Vezina, and if he's as solid in the playoffs then yes, he's one of the elite.

I wouldn't say he's one of the Elite, I think he'd be like Holtby, Damn good, but not proven elite.

"Elite" should be reserved for those goalies that are on a completely different level, like Rinne, Miller, Lunqvist and Quick....

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
Bernier should get some votes but probably won't win ... he takes the 2nd most shots of any goaltender and is still top 5 in save percentage

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
This probably sounds premature but he deserves to win it... I haven't seen a goalie out play him even once this season. Maybe the Bobrovsky, Columbus game but that's all I can recall. If he played for the Blues or Boston he is likely the front runner. The fact the leafs are 2nd in the Atlantic and 30th in the league in shots against is mind blowing... not sure its ever been done before... ever. The guy simply stands on his head every night... I seriously feel bad for the guy. Voting will be based of stats however, and his G.A.A doesn't stack up with Bishop and Rask... sad really.

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo
I wouldn't say he's one of the Elite, I think he'd be like Holtby, Damn good, but not proven elite.

"Elite" should be reserved for those goalies that are on a completely different level, like Rinne, Miller, Lunqvist and Quick....

It is interesting to me that you say Miller, because Bernier's situation and numbers are very much like Miller's. I think we have a gem and though I expect he will be overlooked for the Vezina this year, I think he has a good shot at earning one during his career.

TheThrill81*

Rinne is just below those guys, imo.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
It's amazing to see how well he's played this year especially considering this is his first year as a starter getting consistent games in the NHL. He'll only get better as he becomes more comfortable and accustomed to the heavy workload, something he seems to relish because he's a competitor. If not this year then surely in the years to come after putting up solid numbers consistently he will be given consideration. He learned from the best in L.A and saw first hand what it takes to win a Championship, what's not to love about this guy? I mostly like his attitude and demeanour, he plays with a mean streak and you can tell the team respects him allot. Very happy with him as the goalie of the future, eases the sting of not having Rask a bit.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
He's not going to win it this year. No goalie is ever going to be considered "elite" in his first season as a starter unless your name is Patrick Roy.

In a couple years? Maybe.

He tends to play like a god most days, but he makes some really bad mistakes.
So does Price and he's considered probably in the top 3. Just look at 90% of his goals vs the Leafs last season, most were soft .

As for Bernier , he should be in the conversation and I can see him at best getting what would be 3rd in the Vezna but he doesn't have the reputation yet to get the votes. The team also, isn't good enough to help him out either. His GAA would hurt his chances

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
we need this thread. Good call

If Bernier plays the majority of the games down the stretch like we expect him to, he's a lock for at least top 3

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
Could very easily argue Bernie should be in consideration, but don't think he has any chance of winning. Maybe finish 5th or so.

Price - Has played well this year, and with his stellar performance at the Olympics he will be looked at more favourably.Bobrovsky - Since coming back from injury he has been amazing and is a large reason Columbus is currently sitting in a playoff spot. If they make the playoffs I think he can repeat.
Bishop - Many didn't have Tampa doing that well this year. Bishop has brought the team to 2nd in the Atlantic for much of the year.
Rask - Because he is Rask.
Lundqvist - Because he is Lundqvist.
Mason - Won't be a threat to win but will be getting some votes still. At times this year he has carried the Flyers.

And that's just the east.

Out west there is still the likes of Miller, Quick and Varlamov. Harding too in the limited time he has been able to play this year was amazing, not sure if he will qualify though. But then there has also been Scrivens who has believe it or not improved his sv% since being traded to Edmonton.

Bernier has been good. But I don't think he has been vezina winning good.[/QUOT

I might be in the minority and am happy Price played well at the Olympics, but stellar? I don't remember Price having to steal Canada a game. Keep them in sure, but win one no.

Rask, Quick will get the most votes, IMO. Then after this years playoffs, maybe Crawford will get some respect?? I mean all the guy does is win games, lol, what a horrible trait in a goalie.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
When was this trade a wash? a 2nd and Frattin is nothing to be missed.

Probably because we had Reimer and before this season progressed they were considered on par with each other, meaning it could be wasted assets. Obviously as he's pulled away you can see it's an amazing trade.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Probably because we had Reimer and before this season progressed they were considered on par with each other, meaning it could be wasted assets. Obviously as he's pulled away you can see it's an amazing trade.

Yeah I guess so. Just in my mind I thought it was great right away. Low risk high reward.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Berniers save % is tied with Rask now, and he plays on a way worse defensive team.

Bernier can make a case for vezina.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
He's definitely a top 10 goalie in the league. If he keeps up his unreal play he could very well end up being to 5 within a couple years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad