Bernier and Penner in

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
From the practice today in St Louis (also mentioned by LA Kings INsider tweet )

lisa dillman ‏@reallisa
Sequestered w/ my cold germs, not to make anyone else sick (we hope). But looking like Penner back in lineup tonight & appears to be Bernier

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
And who will Penner replace? Only one I'd support being pulled after yesterday is Richardson. The rest seemed to all do something (yes, even Stoll).

Captain Mittens*

rabbit_pancake.gif

michelle-obama-pancake.jpg

joe_biden_pancake_head.jpg

taryn_southern_roflcon_pancake.jpg

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Bernier had to be a given. There is just no way Sutter could justify playing Quick back-to-back again, especially after Quick's slip-ups in Detroit. Unfortunately, Sutter's incompetence with netminders means that Bernier will have to play himself into being game ready and sharp. Which could result into risking points. There needs to be a normal rotation. Quick is a beast, but just because he had some elite numbers doesn't mean we give him Brodeur's work load in his prime.

Penner is interesting, as long as he is replacing King. Not a fan of him replacing Gagne.

Gagne-Kopitar-Brown
Clifford-Carter-Williams
Penner-Richards-Anyone

That would sound about right.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Bernier had to be a given. There is just no way Sutter could justify playing Quick back-to-back again, especially after Quick's slip-ups in Detroit. Unfortunately, Sutter's incompetence with netminders means that Bernier will have to play himself into being game ready and sharp. Which could result into risking points. There needs to be a normal rotation. Quick is a beast, but just because he had some elite numbers doesn't mean we give him Brodeur's work load in his prime.

Penner is interesting, as long as he is replacing King. Not a fan of him replacing Gagne.

Gagne-Kopitar-Brown
Clifford-Carter-Williams
Penner-Richards-Anyone

Yeah, I hope Gagne isn't the odd man out, he has been pretty good this year, miles better than Penner or King.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Makessensse with back to back.
Here's hoping that LA continues to create the chances they did against Detroit. Was good to see some drive and intensity, just wish it would have paid off.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

A couple of the reporters covering the practice seem to think the odd man out is Richardson.

I'm guessing he'll play w/Richards on the 3rd line.

Hope Bernier comes out sharp, the Blues have lost 4 in a row and want this one.

topliner967

Dec 14, 2011
Northern Europe
Penner is under a lot of scrutiny. I realize he's put himself in this position by playing pretty bad (well, quite awful at times), but it's gotta be tough mentally.

I know Bernier got some flack for looking like he didn't care last time he played. But I think that's kind of his game. When he's playing well he has a real sort of calmness to his game, but if he's off his game, it probably comes off as being nonchalant/non-caring. Hope to see big games from these two!

123slam

Dec 28, 2006

Gagne-Kopitar-Brown
Clifford-Carter-Williams
Penner-Richards-Anyone

Not sure why anyone would advocate taking King out rather than Richardson. King had a far better game and brings that size element we need against the Blues, as does Penner.

Gags-Kopi-Brown
Cliffy-Carter-Williams
Penner-Richards-Nolan
King-Stoll-Lewis

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Penner is under a lot of scrutiny.

Yeah, he is and he seemed pretty adament after he signed the 1 year deal over the summer that he really wanted to prove to DL that he was worth it and DL seemed to believe him, and went onto to say if Penner had a good year, he'd get a contract.

Even if Penner realizes that the Kings might not be in his long term future, some team will and the better he plays, the better contract he might get.

He did play well in the playoffs, he needs to find that again.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Not sure why anyone would advocate taking King out rather than Richardson. King had a far better game and brings that size element we need against the Blues, as does Penner.

Gags-Kopi-Brown
Cliffy-Carter-Williams
Penner-Richards-Nolan
King-Stoll-Lewis

I meant on the top 9, I don't care who is on the fourth line :P I am the anti-johnny utah. I have no problem with King being on the fourth line as he isn't a liability. You're lineup looks fine to me.

FPotvin39

Pad Stacker
Jan 18, 2007
So Cal
If Bernier plays really well today (I said IF), what do you think the chances are of him playing the next game are?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Yeah, he is and he seemed pretty adament after he signed the 1 year deal over the summer that he really wanted to prove to DL that he was worth it and DL seemed to believe him, and went onto to say if Penner had a good year, he'd get a contract.

Even if Penner realizes that the Kings might not be in his long term future, some team will and the better he plays, the better contract he might get.

He did play well in the playoffs, he needs to find that again.

I don't get what the big deal about Penner is....he's been a King for at least a 100 regular season games, and sucked in a least 95 of them. BUT, he was a beast in the playoffs and was a key to the success....THAT is why he's been brought back. So, in my opinion, you scratch the dude until game one of the playoffs....IF the Kings make it!

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Johnny B will get his games in March, The Kings have a back to back every single week.

I doubt Sutter plays Quick four games in Seven nights, every single week.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
If Bernier plays really well today (I said IF), what do you think the chances are of him playing the next game are?

He won't. The next game is three nights away. Johnny B is not the number one net minder, and it's not up for debate with Sutter.

You don't bench Your Cup winning playoff MVP goalie, because he has a bad game here or there.

Quick has Earned the right to have a bad game once in awhile. Are people forgetting if not for him, the Kings are a lottery team last year ?

Period.

Last edited:

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
I don't get what the big deal about Penner is....he's been a King for at least a 100 regular season games, and sucked in a least 95 of them. BUT, he was a beast in the playoffs and was a key to the success....THAT is why he's been brought back. So, in my opinion, you scratch the dude until game one of the playoffs....IF the Kings make it!

That's a lot of salary for a best of 7 series. He should be better. Shoulda, woulda coulda. I don't get how cannot be consistently good throughout the year. At least punish the other team if you're not gonna score..... I'm pretty frustrated with his play....

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Kings haven't played back to back games yet this season.

Sutter did say after last year that he should have played Bernier more, so unless he totally bombs, I think he'll get more starts than people may expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad