Berggren recalled from GR

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I don't really see a scenario where Berggren doesn't have an NHL career.
At least he's producing at lower levels. When Zadina went to Czechia and got outscored by Hronek the alarm bells were going off for me.
Yeah, well when you take into context that he's one of the only offensive players on one of the ineptest offensive teams in the AHL... you'll see why he produces when he's getting top PP minutes, etc.

Translate that up, and you see what you saw when he's been playing here the past two nights. He's not talented enough offensively to bump anyone out of the top six, Middle six right now he's gonna have trouble(with the Red Wings), and definitely not even close to physical or responsible enough for a 4th line role.

Taro Hirose produces too, for some sort of example to what I'm talking about when you "translate up".

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah, well when you take into context that he's one of the only offensive players on one of the ineptest offensive teams in the AHL... you'll see why he produces when he's getting top PP minutes, etc.

Translate that up, and you see what you saw when he's been playing here the past two nights. He's not talented enough offensively to bump anyone out of the top six, Middle six right now he's gonna have trouble(with the Red Wings), and definitely not even close to physical or responsible enough for a 4th line role.

Taro Hirose produces too, for some sort of example to what I'm talking about when you "translate up".
Hirose has 4 goals in 60 NHL career games. Berggren had 15 in 67 as a rookie.

We'll see where things go, obviously he's not going to get infinite chances. But I disagree with the notion that he can only produce if fed top opportunities. Part of his success both in Skellefteå and when called up to the NHL was driving offense from lower lines.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
You would have traded away Tage Thompson at the same age too?
Hmmm is that who you're suggesting he is? Cause, with Berggren specifically, sure I'll take my chances. He's not going to be that.

Even if he did turn out to be Thompson, sure, I'd do a similar trade. It resulted in the Blues winning a Stanley cup where the player they acquired was pretty instrumental, winning the freaking Conn Smyth trophy.

Ryan O’Reilly to St. Louis in exchange for Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, Tage Thompson, a 2019 first-round pick (which ended up being 31st overall, Ryan Johnson) and a 2021 second-round pick (traded to Ottawa).

Anyone would do that again for a Stanley cup let alone that player being one of the leading drivers for it.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Hmmm is that who you're suggesting he is? Cause, with Berggren specifically, sure I'll take my chances. He's not going to be that.

Even if he did turn out to be Thompson, sure, I'd do a similar trade. It resulted in the Blues winning a Stanley cup where the player they acquired was pretty instrumental, winning the freaking Conn Smyth trophy.

Anyone would do that again for a Stanley cup let alone that player being one of the leading drivers for it.
We're not (and shouldn't be) all-in for a cup this year (or realistically, in the next 2-3).

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
We're not (and shouldn't be) all-in for a cup this year (or realistically, in the next 2-3).
That's not all in though when I'm keeping the majority of top prospects and cap and it's a building block piece not a rental.

Idk, if I'd be so happy if they traded top pieces off for a 1 year vet. Even if he was really good. Berggren, again, maybe... Depends on the player.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway

We are not just one player away from contending.

I am not saying he is Tage. Just saying 22 year old Elmer has the same kind of production as 22 year old Tage. He should be given some time as big guys like that take time to develop.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Well...

I'll have to wait till TDL I guess to get some people into the mindset that Red Wings are good now and they are contending. An if a certain type of player comes here, they'll be contenders. No teams ever really "a player away". If you're in the playoff picture though and have a chance to make a move, dang you for not trying.... (LIONS)!!!!!

They've got some "easier" games against Canadians/Sharks and have the opportunity to bury teams like the Senators/Sabers in this next 7-day stretch.

I can't make anyone think the Red Wings are good or contenders, but I watched a crappy Montreal team make a run not long ago and imo this team is more talented than that one.

Reactions: Henkka and WF19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad