Confirmed with Link: Berggren and Seider nominees for EHC Young Player of the Year

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm thinking we really, really need to look harder at Finland moving forward.
The team has selected a Fin in each of the last 3 drafts, last year it was Viro.

I think people were too fixated on Raymond last draft just like they are with Eklund this draft. I had Lundell below Drysdale and Sanderson so he wouldn't have been my pick anyways. If Raymond busts and Lundell becomes a star, well... that's on Hakan.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
The team has selected a Fin in each of the last 3 drafts, last year it was Viro.

I think people were too fixated on Raymond last draft just like they are with Eklund this draft. I had Lundell below Drysdale and Sanderson so he wouldn't have been my pick anyways. If Raymond busts and Lundell becomes a star, well... that's on Hakan.

He definitely didn’t really showcase himself that well last season. Hoping he can bounce back this year.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

...and the other teams that passed on him.

The guy went 12th.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
...and the other teams that passed on him.

The guy went 12th.
Well yeah, but I think the defensemen (which was my pick) and the goalie will turn out OK. Not really sure about the wingers and centers picked above him though.

Of course Lundell could flop too, but 1 PPG in Liiga is similar to Aho's stats so it's looking good for him so far.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Well yeah, but I think the defensemen (which was my pick) and the goalie will turn out OK. Not really sure about the wingers and centers picked above him though.

Of course Lundell could flop too, but 1 PPG in Liiga is similar to Aho's stats so it's looking good for him so far.

I was trying to point out that other teams than the Wings passed on him. Maybe they're wrong, but its not on one person.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I was trying to point out that other teams than the Wings passed on him. Maybe they're wrong, but its not on one person.
We don't care about other teams, we want them to screw up.

Now if you're gonna say that I should blame all of the Euro scouts instead of just the director, you might have a point.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

All those teams who picked at 5-11 are wrong.

Not sure about Wings, I still keep Raymond and Lundell as 50/50 choise at draft time.

Think we will be fine with Raymond, but Florida got the steal who should have been 5th overall at least.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Hard to compare. Aho did it for a full season + playoffs. Lundell a shortened season (with a lot more goals than assists = could be more of a hot run with high shooting %) and didn't score much in playoffs.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Hard to compare. Aho did it for a full season + playoffs. Lundell a shortened season (with a lot more goals than assists = could be more of a hot run with high shooting %) and didn't score much in playoffs.

Also dominated at the WJC where he was probably the 3rd best center in the tournament. (I'd rank only Zegras and Stutzle as better.)
Also had a terrific WC with 4 goals and 7 points in 10 games.

I don't think his goals being higher than his assists is indicative of anything other than the guy being one of the best shooters in his draft class. One of the knocks on him in his draft year was that he didn't have any standout offensive tools except for his shot.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
For real, nothing about his performance says bust. He's right on track to be a top line guy if he hits his potential

Super excited for him to come over next year. Whether in GR or Detroit, the opportunity for him to show what he can do is only going to increase from last year, and the people who are down on him will start to understand why others are steadfast supporters

Reactions: Realgud and NickH8

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com

Not sure about Wings, I still keep Raymond and Lundell as 50/50 choise at draft time.

Think we will be fine with Raymond, but Florida got the steal who should have been 5th overall at least.

Totally agree with this. I would have been fine with Lundell for what that's worth. My personal list at the draft had Raymond at 2 and Lundell at 4. I couldn't believe he fell to 12, I thought he was exactly the type of center most NHL teams would "reach" for. We'll see in a few years how both of these players fare in the NHL but I am a big fan of both. Florida really killed it the last 2 drafts despite picking 13th and 12th (Knight and Lundell).

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I will take a Drysdale any day.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I'm getting right pumped up to see these guys in pre season. Seider is coming in as a lock and i think he will really surprise and impress. It's up in the air about Berggen, Raymond and Veleno but Raymond is being talked about as a Calder finalist. Other 2 both i'm also really high on. Lots of people are saying still a few more years before the playoffs. I really don't see how that's so. If any of these prospects come in and impress and turn out to have immediate impact. Larkin,vrana,bert,zadina turn to nice conplimentary pieces. Seider also in Calder talks. We added a decent defenseman with Leddy. Ned and second half of season Greiss is a decent tandem. So you have at least the possibilty of say a Kaprizov level rookie, that's some major improvement if you ask me. Totally forgot about Suter as well and maybe Tanguay turns around the powerplay. Playoffs this year boys and girls mark my words. Stevie can now call this his team and i'm pretty jacked about it. This team in 2-4 years tops are the new Tampa Bay Lightning.
There's gotta be someone with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beneven Stanciano

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
This won't be decided until October 23rd?

Because of COVID or something?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Its promising to see Berggren put up 12 goals. But I still don't know how well his play style will work out in North America. A lot of these toe drags and between the legs stuff are not going to work on NHL D with tighter angles and less space. I know there are players like that in the NHL but I don't think he is quite at that level.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I'm thinking we really, really need to look harder at Finland moving forward.
Would be nice to lean into European scouting in general until our North American scouting improves.

I was thinking that Swiss hockey may become a goldmine if all the big North American prospects and NHL retirees who've gone there to play recently, help to popularize the sport more in Switzerland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad