News Article: Bergevin Offered Panarin more money

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
You said no top six was acquired after Cammy. Since when is a 35 goal scorer not a top six forward? He still went on to have better seasons than anything MB acquired and given that he had to buyout Parentau it would have just been better to keep him. Even sucky Bourque helped this team get to the ECF. I'll take one good year over five years of nothing. Keeping Therrien is a five year tank move. :laugh:

Cole gets 61 points in 1st year and 81 points combined in last 3 seasons of his contract. Like I said...with this logic, Gomez would also fit as acquiring a top 6 player because he put up 59 points in his first year. That's why I excluded both.

Gomez, one of the worst contracts in the entire league was the same as a FA signed who went on to be our first power forward in 10 years and scored 35 goals? That isn't to mention the way Cole helped Paciorettys and DD's game. The Cole/DD/Pac line was incredible to watch but I guess you have no taste for dynamic hockey. Funny how you **** on the Cole signing and then praise the Vanek move. We gave up less and got more out of Cole than Vanek by a mile but no the Vanek move was building the future, a true transition right?

Oh no not aging players! If only we could get some players that don't age, then we will be set. What long term contracts? Baby bergie got his buyouts on entry anyways, it had no effect long term. Are you still whining about kaberle?

It's funny because Cunny was gone after his season but our current coach not only remains but is getting his friends in on the scam as well. Does Bergevin plan to tank next season too? Maybe Bergie can keep his tank going with Galchenyuk on the 2nd line again.

If you apply the intangibles BS to Gauthier it means you apply the BS to Bergevin. It's like saying Bergevin acquired Gonchar to help the young D's game out or Briere's playoff experience helped out Habs playoff push or Prust helping Gallagher/Galchenyuk's development or whatever new BS they're coming up with nowadays. :laugh:

I think you're confusing something, I think both GMs suck. Where in my post did I give props to Bergevin for getting a rental Vanek and letting him go for nothing? I'm actually mocking Bergevin AND Gauthier. Neither tanked on purpose, I just can't help but see some of the double standard people have with defending Gauthier/Bergevin. Neither accomplished anything and made conference finals off the back of players drafted/acquired through Gainey...which is sad since he gave away Riberio for nothing, lost Streit/Souray/Kovalev/Koivu for nothing, and made one of the worst trades in this era McDo/Higgins for Gomez. When you're a GM who is living off a core built by a GM who made that many errors, you know you aren't good at your job.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
No chance that obscene Quebec taxes came into play. Or having to learn 2 new languages. Or the opportunity to play with a dynasty. Must be Therrien.

This forum is embarrassing in how shallow the analysis is.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
No chance that obscene Quebec taxes came into play. Or having to learn 2 new languages. Or the opportunity to play with a dynasty. Must be Therrien.

The majority of that has been acknowledged. It is only natural that the one variable that can actually be modified is the one talked about the most, no?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
i read this and thought "cool story bro"

keep it to yourself next time, he's trying to make excuses for himself.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
People forget that Erik Cole bounced back after the lockout season and almost had back-to-back 20 goals seasons in Dallas (16 and 18 before being traded). He also returned Mattias Janmark (29 points in 73 NHL games as a rookie this season), Mattias Backman (was pretty good for a rookie D in the AHL this season, lead his team in +/-) and a second-round pick (49th overall in 2015 draft) at the deadline last year, so his value was obviously still pretty high around the league.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Ontarios highest tax bracket is 54% now. Hardly attractive. If you look at most NHL cites, they're all in the high 40's in terms of salary lost to taxes. It may be a 2-5% improvement from team to team but hardly a deal breaker or something that can't be overcome.

Taxes are really overstated when it comes to reasons to play or not to play with a team for the most part.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
"Le Canadien était disposé à mettre le magot puisque Panarin a paraphé un contrat d’une valeur globale de 22,75 M$ s’échelonnant sur cinq ans pour un salaire annuel moyen de 4,55 M$."

Funny, he makes an article about Panirin but takes Anisimov numbers... After all, a russian is a russian right?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Who cares. Bergevin failed to get a player once again. Whether it's Williams, Panarin, or the vast number of top 6 players that have changed addresses. He had a moment of success with Vanek, that lasted 3 months out of his 48ish since taking over.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Ontarios highest tax bracket is 54% now. Hardly attractive. If you look at most NHL cites, they're all in the high 40's in terms of salary lost to taxes. It may be a 2-5% improvement from team to team but hardly a deal breaker or something that can't be overcome.

Taxes are really overstated when it comes to reasons to play or not to play with a team for the most part.

Agreed.

And I remember Damphousse saying taxes wasn't an issue for players. A few percents out of a pay in millions doesn't mean much, it's just money sitting in your bank account.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Agreed.

And I remember Damphousse saying taxes wasn't an issue for players. A few percents out of a pay in millions doesn't mean much, it's just money sitting in your bank account.
It may not be for the players, but most of the players take the guidance from their agents, and I think in alot of cases, it's the agents who are driving the bus...

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
It may not be for the players, but most of the players take the guidance from their agents, and I think in alot of cases, it's the agents who are driving the bus...
Agents usually seek to make the best name for themselves by serving their clients well. GMs who are shifty, thrifty or generally incompetant and have delusions of grandeur get tougher treatment from agents because they want to protect their clients.

A good agent would tell UFAs to avoid Montreal under Therrien and BargainBin. Therrien because we play exhausting, boring, low-stats hockey and he notably throws ELITE players under the bus. BargainBin because this organization has no vision or plan for victory beyond Let Price Le Win It, Tabarnaque and most players have at least a passive dream of winning a Stanley Cup. Add in the taxes and it's obvious why BargainBin has "nearly" gotten agents but hasn't managed to sign a single good player. Compare with Philadelphia and New York - two teams that have constantly and consistently gunned for it - and made MANY mistakes but still they've made it further and farther than the Habs have over the past 20 years. Philly was a contender, New York was too - Montreal never got close to that. Agents see this, they can tell the overall atmosphere of an organization and Montreal is NOT a destination, and it has nothing to do with weather or taxes.

We're not an undesirable city - Montreal is a great city for students and rich people, it's safe as hell, relatively clean, cultured, unique in many ways and the city lives and breathes hockey. Every player loves the Bell Centre. We signed Cammalleri, Gionta, and Cole in short succession when the organization appeared to have direction and vision. But why would anyone come onto a sinking ship now?

Players, and especially their agents, aren't blind and deaf - they know of the country club, they know that this organization is entirely arbitrary in the worst ways, they know the cup window never even opened and is now shutting closed. Man, I'd rather sign in Winnipeg or Florida - they have a trajectory. We're a slowly sinking ship that's off course and out of fuel.

As if we're going to be a contender next year with a "healthy" price. As if it'll solve our awful special teams, goal-scoring woes, the aging Markov and Pleks and regressive, unevolved tactics.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

what other language than english players HAVE to learn ?

dynasty ? Habs won 2 cups in their last 30 years, most NHL players are too young to remember the last one...

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
People forget that Erik Cole bounced back after the lockout season and almost had back-to-back 20 goals seasons in Dallas (16 and 18 before being traded). He also returned Mattias Janmark (29 points in 73 NHL games as a rookie this season), Mattias Backman (was pretty good for a rookie D in the AHL this season, lead his team in +/-) and a second-round pick (49th overall in 2015 draft) at the deadline last year, so his value was obviously still pretty high around the league.

Wow, I did not know he got that big of a return :amazed: Janmark alone would have been a great trade :laugh:. Speaking of which, he's another skilled forward we could have drafted instead of Conor Crisp..

The Cole trade made sense at the time cap wise. The problem is that Bergevin did absolutely nothing useful with that extra cap space. So the real reason he got traded was likely character issues / off-ice reasons.

TheLastShift

Canada
Nov 14, 2007
As a Habs fan I am happy to hear their was an effort. As a Habs fan... I am embarrassed by a lot of our fan base.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
what other language than english players HAVE to learn ?

dynasty ? Habs won 2 cups in their last 30 years, most NHL players are too young to remember the last one...

I think the dynasty he spoke of is in Chicago.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Come on.....coach Q & little Bow GM......Toews, Kane, TT....smart D....all star G....multiple cup winner......contender, Vs a team with a superstar goaltender????

Pretty easy decision for Panarin.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Agents usually seek to make the best name for themselves by serving their clients well. GMs who are shifty, thrifty or generally incompetant and have delusions of grandeur get tougher treatment from agents because they want to protect their clients.

A good agent would tell UFAs to avoid Montreal under Therrien and BargainBin. Therrien because we play exhausting, boring, low-stats hockey and he notably throws ELITE players under the bus. BargainBin because this organization has no vision or plan for victory beyond Let Price Le Win It, Tabarnaque and most players have at least a passive dream of winning a Stanley Cup. Add in the taxes and it's obvious why BargainBin has "nearly" gotten agents but hasn't managed to sign a single good player. Compare with Philadelphia and New York - two teams that have constantly and consistently gunned for it - and made MANY mistakes but still they've made it further and farther than the Habs have over the past 20 years. Philly was a contender, New York was too - Montreal never got close to that. Agents see this, they can tell the overall atmosphere of an organization and Montreal is NOT a destination, and it has nothing to do with weather or taxes.

We're not an undesirable city - Montreal is a great city for students and rich people, it's safe as hell, relatively clean, cultured, unique in many ways and the city lives and breathes hockey. Every player loves the Bell Centre. We signed Cammalleri, Gionta, and Cole in short succession when the organization appeared to have direction and vision. But why would anyone come onto a sinking ship now?

Players, and especially their agents, aren't blind and deaf - they know of the country club, they know that this organization is entirely arbitrary in the worst ways, they know the cup window never even opened and is now shutting closed. Man, I'd rather sign in Winnipeg or Florida - they have a trajectory. We're a slowly sinking ship that's off course and out of fuel.

As if we're going to be a contender next year with a "healthy" price. As if it'll solve our awful special teams, goal-scoring woes, the aging Markov and Pleks and regressive, unevolved tactics.

Delusional much? You are projecting your thoughts onto an agents, for the same money a free agent would rather sign in Montreal than 3/4 of the leagues other teams, Habs will always be a highly respected and desirable destination despite of your anti- Therrien/Bergevin ramblings.

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
News Article: Bergevin Offered Panarin more money

What a dumb player he is for not going for the money :shakehead

.... said no1 ever on HFboards

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

Lol at this. The excuses are pathetic

yRessUneChose

yRessUneBarbe
Jun 7, 2015
stop talking about weather,taxes, players preferences of their families for a city;

Bergevins job is to get the best player available for this team, and we have had the same recycled ******** for the past three years;

Raise me an hand if any player that wants to win the SC, wants to score GOALS would love to come to Montreal after they completely collapsed without Price this year, and the owner,GM,COACH, all come forward to spew ****** excuses to appease the <<mass>> fans brass;

yeah, no one will want to come here. Who would want to play for Therrien; ?

Panarin?

no.

Stamkos,Boedker,Opkoso,Jagr? no one will want to come here with the entire organization feeling empty of complete failure and just say <<Its Price injury>>

its insane, insane in the way of; Man; bergevin, the players might not want to come for a coach that tell his players to <<Grind deez guys out>>, for a coach to bench and call out his superstar player that basically, GAVE THEM GAMES N GAMES A CHANCE TO WIN in every ****ing possible game aka P.K Subban <<Jeu dindividualiss>>

Yeah; good publicity to attract top 6 players or even F.Agents;

Would any coach in this league would of thrown under the bus a top 5 D for <<making a mistake>> and benching him;

NO.

Why would any F.A, player or a player that has NTC clause would want to come here, especially if after this season, bergevin said <<Therrien is strict,firm, and fair>>

No.

No one would want to come here. Unless you want to overpay D.Briere 4mills a year I guess.

Oh....

yRessUneChose

yRessUneBarbe
Jun 7, 2015
big moves are happening, for Bergevin.... his best <<excuse>> was <<I tried signing SOME TALENTED PLAYER THAT PLAYED IN THE KHL WHICH PROBABLY EVERY TEAM OFFERED HIM A CONTRACT>> I TRIED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please;

Players will not want to play for Therrien garbage coaching; remind me, how many players did the Penguins signed with Therrien as HC... or when he was HC of the Canadiens?

oh... probably none?

if I was a star/top 6 player, I would doubt myself before signing in Montreal when I see the way that Therrien has coached this team, the way he has thrown under the bus Eller, Galchenyuk, Subban, and only praises <<hard working players>>

FFS, D.D probably comitted more errors than Subban ever did, yet, spotlight is on Subban,

oh my.....
I would think thrice before joining the Habs, I would not want to play for Therrien, he does not teach,he does not make you a better player, he molds you into his system which is <<Do not get me fired, Price will mask all of my flaws>>

still cannot believe how they just, went through the ****ing titanic this season and yet feel to do no change in the coaching staff besides the newly hired consultant;****ing gutless organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad