Bergeron Cleary

Status
Not open for further replies.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Where the hell did this guy come from?? Major steal for the Bruins last draft. Guy has 8 points so far! Youngest guy in the NHL! :handclap:

Colour me impressed

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
More than the fact that he's got great hands and is already a great passer, what impresses me the most about Bergeron is how smart he is. He's 18 years old, and Sullivan already feels confident putting him on the power play, and sticking him at right wing on the checking line.

Second round pick or not... I'm convinced. The kid is special.

H3ro

Apr 24, 2003
Visit site
He had only played one junior year!... 2 years ago, he was playing Midjet AAA... Huge steal by the Bruins.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
H3ro said:
He had only played one junior year!... 2 years ago, he was playing Midjet AAA... Huge steal by the Bruins.

WOW..... :bow: :bow: Midget AAA to NHL in two years....

:bow: :bow: :bow: Thats all i can say!!!!!

Stock Rocks

Feb 27, 2002
Billerica, Mass.
Visit site
Fedz said:
WOW..... :bow: :bow: Midget AAA to NHL in two years....

:bow: :bow: :bow: Thats all i can say!!!!!

Some guys just have "it."

You can't quantify it by looking at his skating- it's average.

You can't quantify it by looking at his shot- it's average, nothing big or heavy or particularly accurate, with a quick release.

But he just doesn't play like a rookie out there. He sees the ice better than perhaps anyone else on the team and knows where to go with the puck. Against the Devils over the weekend, he and Samsonov put on a passing clinic during a Bruins power play. They didn't score, but the PK didn't have an answer for either one of them, and Brodeur had to make a couple of tough saves.

Bergeron is one hell of a story. And the rest of the league is starting to catch on.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
La-La-Laprise said:
He has been a rookie for 4 years straight now.

at 15 - Rookie BAA
at 16 - Rookie MAAA
at 17 - Rookie QMJHL
at 18 - Rookie NHL

4 leagues in 4 years.

Is it Bergeron, or Bergeron-Cleary?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Draft Guru said:

The only time it was listed as Bergeron-Cleary was with CSB and the draft. In the Q he is known as Bergeron.

Same thing with Julien Ellis. At the U18 he was listed as Ellis-PLante. But the Q just has him as Ellis.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Draft Guru said:

he was drafted as bergeron-cleary, and i think that's his legal name. but he goes by bergeron. oconnell said was trying to get him to change his name to pat cleary, to fit in with the bostonians :joker:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Stock Rocks said:
Some guys just have "it."

You can't quantify it by looking at his skating- it's average.

You can't quantify it by looking at his shot- it's average, nothing big or heavy or particularly accurate, with a quick release.

You've just summarize why most people didn't see him coming. I saw him play only twice in the Q but he looked just as efficient/unremarkable as he does in the NHL.

It didn't look like he had any "secret weapon" that would make him a great NHLer. He was efficient and doing a nice job.

It's just that it appears he is the type of player who can get it done at any level without a sweat. It happens sometimes, and you never see them coming. Players who are just smart enough to get it done and can work with players of superior talent level.

He has that quality based on the four Bruins games I have seen this year.

It could also be the case of a coach and player clicking in a remarkaable way. Doesn't mean Bergeron doesn't *deserve* what is happening right now, just that the newbie coach is bringing him along the perfect way.

He is a hell of a find. I liked him for the draft but I NEVER saw it coming. Hope he will keep it up because he also looks like a nice person on top of being one of my favorite up-and-comers!

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
reminds me of adam oates a lot...i'd say in a few years, he'll put up a good amount of points, and people will wonder what all the fuss is about. looks like an excellent pick, and perhaps the b's draft will be upgraded from the crappy marks that they were given by many a publication.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Vlad The Impaler said:
He is a hell of a find. I liked him for the draft but I NEVER saw it coming. Hope he will keep it up because he also looks like a nice person on top of being one of my favorite up-and-comers!

Well, you're right on there about his personality.

Patrice and I stayed at the same hotel in Nashville, so on Sunday after Day 2 wrapped up, he and I sat down for about an hour in the hotel restaurant and just talked about the whole draft experience.

He was/is such a nice kid- his parents definitely raised him right. And, he has a very good relationship with his older brother Guillaume.

But I was literally in awe of his maturity and excellent grasp of English. I just had this gut feeling that when he arrived in Boston for training camp, he would do better than most 18-year-old junior rookies in their first pro camp because he would have no problem with the language and was such a serious, but confident person.

I'll be honest- I believed that he was going to be an NHL player, and my WHL scout friend with me at the time can attest to that because he was there to hear me gush about Patrice's personality and potential. However- I didn't believe for a second that he would be playing in the NHL and producing the way he has *this* year. I believed he would tear it up in the Q first, then challenge for a spot in Boston next year.

My hat's off to him.

Here is what I wrote for the New England Hockey Journal's July 2003 draft recap issue:

Talent Analysis: Bergeron is a creative playmaker who has great hands and vision, not to mention keen hockey sense and a nose for the net. He's been described in the same sentence with Steve Yzerman and Ron Francis for his ability, character and work ethic. He's an underrated goal scorer who has a wicked wrist shot and great release that he can get off from just about anywhere. Bergeron's skating is not what it could be. He lacks an explosive first-step and burst, but he isn't a poor skater by any means. With diligence and a good power-skating instructor, Bergeron can eliminate it as a shortcoming in his game. He has a slight frame and needs to get stronger.

The Buzz:

"I'm a playmaker. I like to set up the goals, but I can score them too. I work hard and try to be a good teammate."- Patrice Bergeron

"He's got great hockey sense. Patrice played a big part on a team that almost upset the heavily favored Halifax Mooseheads in the Quebec League semis. He's very good on faceoffs and competes hard. We're very excited about this player and where we got him in the draft."- Scott Bradley, Boston Bruins Director of Amateur Scouting

"We think he's going to be a special one. He's a little like Adam Oates in that he'll look one way and then go the other. He's a very skilled passer and makes plays at crunch time."- Bruins GM Mike O'Connell

"Bergeron is a terrific kid who has a good skill level and is dangerous offensively. He's one of the hardest workers I saw this year, and I tell you, if he can get a little better in his skating and bulk up, he could be a real steal where Boston got him. He's a leader on that Bathurst team, and I think he's only scratching the surface in terms of what he can become as a player." - Western NHL team scout

NEHJ Grade: A-
On ability alone, Bergeron is probably closer to a solid B at present, but after spending time with him, you really come to appreciate his sterling character and passion for the game. Understanding that his strength and conditioning needed work, Bergeron went out and hired a personal trainer out of pocket to help him be a better player after his season ended, and you can already see it paying dividends, as he looked stronger and heavier than his listed 180-pound weight at the draft. He's mature beyond his years and already has a strong grasp of the English language, which should help him to fit right in at camp. He may be a little shy off the ice, but Bergeron oozes confidence on it, and when you hear the scouts rave about his intangibles, you realize that if anyone is going to go the distance to excel at the highest level, this young man from Quebec City will. Watch him- he'll be among the league scoring leaders in the Q next year. After that, a permanent spot in Boston won't be far behind.

Reactions: WickedBruinsGirl

DR. Holiday

A great young player although not good enough for the HF top hundred. Weak list. At this point he has to be the Calder favorite at forward (behind M.A. Fleury overall).

DR. Holiday

Vlad The Impaler said:
Isn't it *painfully* obvious that the list was done BEFORE Bergeron's success?

I just question how spezza ia in it at all. I assume it is a new thing if not it is even worse.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
La-La-Laprise said:
He has been a rookie for 4 years straight now.

at 15 - Rookie BAA
at 16 - Rookie MAAA
at 17 - Rookie QMJHL
at 18 - Rookie NHL

4 leagues in 4 years.

That is quite an accomplishment! Those who played a little bit of hockey know that it is so hard, just get accustomized to a new level.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Maybe they should send him back to juniors...like they the Pens should do with Fleury... :joker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad