Post-Game Talk: Benning's But(t)s

Status
Not open for further replies.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
You remind me when I was a kid, can't recall exactly how old maybe 8 or 9 and Id be thinking how awesome the canucks are. "This is the best team in the league we are going to win multiple Stanley cups... we got Tony Tanti, Petri Skriko, Garth Butcher.... "
Good to feel young again.

I don't think we are the best team in the league. THere is work to be done, but my point was that the team is not in as bad a shape as a lot are making it out to be.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Imo keeping Green around was always a huge indicator of Benning's priorities: don't get fired. If the team did bad, he always had a scapegoat handy in case his seat got hot. He sold Blueberries over and over on how good the team was - if it failed repeatedly, it's because the coach just didn't do a good job. It worked with Desjardins so he figured he could keep using the same strategy.

Which is why the fans calling for Benning's head specifically probably played a huge role in his firing. Blueberries thought he wasn't wrong about Benning, surely if the team was performing like shit then the fans would call Green out instead. But they wanted BENNING gone, the supposed genius who was just a lucky stretch away from a SCF final.

The Boudreau hiring makes a lot of sense from this perspective. It was basically Blueberries telling Benning he lied to him about the state of the team, and as such was no longer worthy to make decisions. With a sycopanthic media, he only found out what everyone already knew by hearing it straight from the people propping up his investment.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Absolutely not. The ability to communicate effectively is a necessary skill in a manager. Its not that he was bad, he was completely incompetant. You don't hire people to upper management positions when they can't communicate effectively.

Press conferences, talking to the fans.... that's not really vital to running a hockey team for a GM. That's the job for the President to sell the on-ice vision to the public, which was a vacant position due to FA trying to run everything behind the scenes on the cheap. Behind the scenes communications? Yeah, probably that was an issue, how do we know specifics unless we worked in the organization?

To the people saying he was stupid because he clearly suffered anxiety in front of a mic are ableists and should re-evaluate their decision making. I will not take your opinion seriously if you say that.

Was he bad at being a GM? Yes. Does that make him stupid? Well, I wouldn't trust any posters here to run a team either, does that make everyone stupid? No, it just means you aren't meant for the role, and neither was JB. Knock off the labels and stick to criticizing the moves.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
The organization is in a shambles. Yeah sure Demko is a franchise goaltender, and Hughes looks like a Norris candidate, and Pettersson looks promising, Podz and Hogs are great young players, Garland looks pretty darn good, Boeser is a 30 goal scorer, Horvat is a great 2 c without of years left, but other than that we are screwed for the next 5 years.

no, and no, and cap space v talent? yea, this team is hooped

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Press conferences, talking to the fans.... that's not really vital to running a hockey team for a GM. That's the job for the President to sell the on-ice vision to the public, which was a vacant position due to FA trying to run everything behind the scenes on the cheap. Behind the scenes communications? Yeah, probably that was an issue, how do we know specifics unless we worked in the organization?

To the people saying he was stupid because he clearly suffered anxiety in front of a mic are ableists and should re-evaluate their decision making. I will not take your opinion seriously if you say that.

Was he bad at being a GM? Yes. Does that make him stupid? Well, I wouldn't trust any posters here to run a team either, does that make everyone stupid? No, it just means you aren't meant for the role, and neither was JB. Knock off the labels and stick to criticizing the moves.
Even if it was anxiety, and you've yet to prove that it was, shouldn't Benning have taken steps to improve that skill? Given that he didn't have a president, and by all accounts wasn't pushing to get one installed, it's a skill a good GM would have worked on.

Beyond that, we know Benning didn't even talk to players, preferring to only speak with their agents. That is an objectively terrible way to manage a team, especially in the midst of a pandemic. Was this also anxiety?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

It’s actually their job 100%.

thats the role of a GM. The idea they just watch hockey and are smarter than everyone is ficking stupid.

I say he was stupid because of his actions on top of how he explained things.

Whining about the labels just obfuscates it. Experts on “hockey” who can’t explain simple things are probably not experts at anything. Arguing about which label a clearly incompetent man doesn’t deserve is pure stupidity in almost 2022.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The hoops people will jump through to absolve a clear idiot they spent years supporting is wild.
I always got the feeling that for some people, being positive/supportive for the sake of being positive/supportive seemed to completely supercede all willingness to be fair, honest, and logical-- almost as if there was some weird complex driving it. I really don't get that die-hard side of sports fandom, personally.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Forsling for Clendening.

And they realized Clendening couldn't f***ing skate.

That was something else.

Wait, it was the same thing for nearly every defensemen brought in. A terrible pro scout.
That was an outlier pro scouting mistake. Aquiring Gudbranson, Barkowski, Sbisa, Larsen, Pouliot, Benn, MDZ, etc showed they knew what they were doing when getting nhl dmen :nod:

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
We didn't need this thread. Move the f*** on.
A historical sports bozo GM who managed to survive in that position for 8 years will be a discussion point for decades, especially by the fans of the team that had that bozo destroying their team

Looking back at how bad it was is quite amazing Chair Man

Reactions: vanuck and megatron

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
A historical sports bozo GM who managed to survive in that position for 8 years will be a discussion point for decades, especially by the fans of the team that had that bozo destroying their team

Looking back at how bad it was is quite amazing Chair Man
It doesn't interest me in the least.

The tank threads and management threads were a blight on this forum for years. Why anyone would want to revisit and prolong that agony is beyond me.

You guys are turning Benning into an indestructible zombie — rising from the grave to haunt the threads of HFCanucks for time infinity.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

The tank threads and management threads were a blight on this forum for years. Why anyone would want to revisit and prolong that agony is beyond me.

You guys are turning Benning into an indestructible zombie — rising from the grave to haunt the threads of HFCanucks for time infinity.
Haunt what, it's just a fun discussion point to shoot the sh*t on now that it's behind us, not some agonizing thing that anyone's being forced to be interested in. If that continues to be the case moving forward, so be it, there's really no need to take it so seriously.

People still talk about Keenan/Messier for the same reasons, and they're not frothing at the mouth as they do it. It's just fascinating and conversation-sparking lore at this point.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Then ignore it pal.

The blight was the idiots who supported the loser. I get why some are embarrassed about it now.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Then ignore it pal.
Haunt what, it's just a fun discussion point to shoot the sh*t on now that it's behind us, not some agonizing thing that anyone's being forced to be interested in. If that continues to be the case moving forward, so be it, there's really no need to take it so seriously.

People still talk about Keenan/Messier for the same reasons, and they're not frothing at the mouth as they do it. It's just fascinating and conversation-sparking lore at this point.
The poster complaining has but Gillis posts that came up within the past few weeks but commenting on the gm he supported within 3 weeks of being fired is haunting. What a joke.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Blame Benning for the blight then. He f***ed over this franchise for nearly a decade. That is a blight. We are here recognizing and discussing the blight that he haunted our team with.

Thank God he is gone but we must never simply forget and ignore the tragedy as it is still here

Last edited:
Reactions: vanuck

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Benning was very stupid.
Benning was very lazy.
Benning was very selfish.
Benning was very arrogant.

It was just an incredible perfect storm of incompetence that should have lasted for 6 months a la Keenan/Messier but somehow dragged on for 8 years.

You had this lazy stupid man who had absolutely no idea what he was doing and who simply had no idea how to present an idea or answer a question in an intelligent fashion. The best he could do was repeat tropes and buzzwords - literally every defender he ever acquired had a 'good first pass' despite several being amongst the poorest puck-moving defenders in the NHL.

And again, every single plan for the entire 8 years was for nothing but the immediate future to try and save his job. Part of it was selfishness, part of it was that he simply wasn't smart enough to actually formulate a long-term plan.

And yeah, things like 'Sven and Jake are a year older so they'll be better' is the sort of thinking you see from a 10 year old. And statements like this happened constantly. 'Beagle and Schaller and Roussel are bigger so that should mean less injuries' was another great one.

f*** Jim Benning. Most toxic person in the history of sports in Vancouver.

Start of the season

“We really like our depth this year, we have [however many] guys on the farm that will be able to step in”

End of season

“Well you know we had a lot of injuries which makes it tough”

Next season

“We REALLY like our depth this year, it is really improved from last year”

End of season

“Ya know with those injuries to Sutter and Edler it’s tough”

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Start of the season

“We really like our depth this year, we have [however many] guys on the farm that will be able to step in”

End of season

“Well you know we had a lot of injuries which makes it tough”

Next season

“We REALLY like our depth this year, it is really improved from last year”

End of season

“Ya know with those injuries to Sutter and Edler it’s tough”
But drafting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad