Bennett question

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I fail to see why a player, who has ability to create and score, wouldn't be able to do so because he has been asked to play responsibly. This is just a big cop out. He plays well enough defensively and hes a smart player. His problem is he is unable to produce offensively. Outside of some occasional nice passes and weak wristers he hasn't been able to put it together. Yet at least.

We all want goals and offense from Sutter and he gets a lot of grief for his totals. But somehow BB's are fine because he's asked to play responsible hockey? I don't see it.

The kid has talent and will put it together at some time.

Sutter has played in almost 500 NHL games and is a vet they need to play well to make their bottom six go. He is also given ample PK and PP time. What does he have to do with BB?

Spaling has one point in his last 12 and Winnik has put up goose eggs in 6 of his 8 games with the Pens (and also hasn't potted a goal as of yet). So comparing him to these two is an apt comparison. They are all playing similar roles at ES.

BB has one function right now: keep it simple and safe. Most importantly, keep Adams on the bench. If you want more out of him, honestly, who cares what you think? MJ said he is happy with his game and as long as he keeps Adams sitting, it's what matters.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Sutter has played in almost 500 NHL games and is a vet they need to play well to make their bottom six go. He is also given ample PK and PP time. What does he have to do with BB?

Spaling has one point in his last 12 and Winnik has put up goose eggs in 6 of his 8 games with the Pens (and also hasn't potted a goal as of yet). So comparing him to these two is an apt comparison. They are all playing similar roles at ES.

BB has one function right now: keep it simple and safe. Most importantly, keep Adams on the bench. If you want more out of him, honestly, who cares what you think? MJ said he is happy with his game and as long as he keeps Adams sitting, it's what matters.

agreed totally on keeping it simple. hoping that HCMJ sees this as a building block sort of thing and expects beau's game to evolve after he establishes himself as a responsible player, though that's probably a pie in the sky kind of dream at this point. even moreso would be dumping kunitz from the power play and bumping up perron and giving bennett at least some second pp time. his game just seems tailored to the power play.

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009

I agree it is an apt comparison. That's my point. He compares to third and fourth liners because that's how good he currently is. Its not because hes choosing to play simple, its because that's his level right now.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I agree it is an apt comparison. That's my point. He compares to third and fourth liners because that's how good he currently is. Its not because hes choosing to play simple, its because that's his level right now.

BB isn't the first player to change/simplify his game to stay in the lineup and he certainly won't be the last. He could most certainly get the puck and try to dangle guys and make risky plays. His talent for doing those things didn't suddenly vanish.

As we have seen with even Crosby and Malkin, more often than not, a dangle or risky pass often results in a turnover. The difference is those two have the clout and superior talent to get away with those mistakes with MJ. BB doesn't.

He is making a conscious choice to be a straight line guy. It's a lot harder to be creative when you get the puck and dump it in the zone. It's pretty obvious stuff here.

Florentino Ariza

Sep 21, 2009
Washington DC
in what world is bennett less physical than brandon sutter?

I never brought up Brandon Sutter, and I'm not going to compare the two. I'm just saying that my inexpert opinion is that Beau Bennett has to be stronger on his skates. He frequently loses battles because he isn't, and I've seen him get out of trouble only because he has slick hands. He can make plays, he can shoot, he can pass, etc, but from what I've seen he will benefit from some more strength,which I'm sure he'll be able to acquire. He has the natural skills that can't be taught.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
At the pace Sutter is on, 33pts...it will be his 2nd highest point total of his career.

Brandon Sutter is exactly the type of center that the LA Kings and Chicago have employed in that position the past couple years. Hopefully, he acknowledges that and doesn't take a very big pay raise. I think the last few games he's basically been our PK. Him and Winnik on the PK look great and he is literally our only aggressive forward on the PK.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Brandon Sutter is exactly the type of center that the LA Kings and Chicago have employed in that position the past couple years. Hopefully, he acknowledges that and doesn't take a very big pay raise. I think the last few games he's basically been our PK. Him and Winnik on the PK look great and he is literally our only aggressive forward on the PK.

That made me die a little on the inside.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That made me die a little on the inside.

If Sutter plays well in the playoffs and is willing to take 3 or 3.5 x 3 wouldn't you give it to him?

I understand the complaints about him being soft, but if you surround him with big bodied players, I think he is essentially Jarrett Stoll for a cap strapped team. Which is what we are, and I doubt a player like Soderberg signs here if we are still employing Sutter.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Sutter has been good on the PK but he's been an absolute drain at ES.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If Sutter plays well in the playoffs and is willing to take 3 or 3.5 x 3 wouldn't you give it to him?

I understand the complaints about him being soft, but if you surround him with big bodied players, I think he is essentially Jarrett Stoll for a cap strapped team. Which is what we are, and I doubt a player like Soderberg signs here if we are still employing Sutter.

**** no, because Sutter's not just soft, he's weak. That hurts his line in possession, puck battles, and offensive zone time.

And when his line does get offensive zone time, they don't do anything with it because Sutter's got nothing going for him offensively except a shot off the rush.

I had huge hopes for the guy after the Staal trade but he's been nothing but a big disappointment outside of last year's playoffs.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
with bb right now, it's not about talent.........it's more about strength. What he needs most is a full year of good health and a full summer of Roberts training.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Although people don't want to hear it, this is Beaus biggest issue. His current style of physical play is suitable for a California roller hockey league; at this level he needs to get stronger to excel

I was going to say the same thing. Almost every time I notice him he's getting rag-dolled along the boards or off the puck. There's a real contest on this team for who should get the "Bambi" nickname between him and Sutter.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I was going to say the same thing. Almost every time I notice him he's getting rag-dolled along the boards or off the puck. There's a real contest on this team for who should get the "Bambi" nickname between him and Sutter.

It's not just that he's in the bottom 10% of NHL skaters when it comes to strength, it's that he's also in the bottom 30 or so % when it comes to skating. Bad combination to have in a wing and it's nothing that can be corrected by confidence, coaching or usage.

Guys like Sutter or Marcus Johanssen at least skate well.

Michael8771*

with bb right now, it's not about talent.........it's more about strength. What he needs most is a full year of good health and a full summer of Roberts training.
I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your sentiment here, but IF that's the case than BB has a lot of explaining to do. Why hasn't he gotten stronger? Why hasn't he taken his conditioning more seriously? He's what 23 now? If he wants big money and if he wants to find a niche on this team maybe he should be better prepared by hitting the gym and giving himself every opportunity to succeed and excel. I personally am not as high on him as some, but it's come time to either produce or GTFO!

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your sentiment here, but IF that's the case than BB has a lot of explaining to do. Why hasn't he gotten stronger? Why hasn't he taken his conditioning more seriously? He's what 23 now? If he wants big money and if he wants to find a niche on this team maybe he should be better prepared by hitting the gym and giving himself every opportunity to succeed and excel. I personally am not as high on him as some, but it's come time to either produce or GTFO!
Bro.. did you not hear cassius' theory on BB utilizing Twitter too much? :sarcasm:

Go and find this glorious theory and it will provide you all the answers you need to this burning question.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

hard to do when every 2-3 weeks your on ir. some injuries may heal in a few weeks but take a long while to regain strength. imo

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Bennett is in the bottom 13% of skate lace tying and the bottom 27.5% of stick taping in the league.

True facts.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
We're a weaker than normal team and the only one of our 20 skaters that could be argued to be anywhere near as weak as Bennett is Sutter.

Saying he's in the bottom 10% of the league in terms of strength isn't exactly the stretch that it would be to, for example, try to say Pascal Dupuis (who, incidentally, had 17 more goals, 20 something more assists and a boatload more Selke votes than Bennett in his 23 year old season) is an AHL-level talent without his work ethic.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
We're a weaker than normal team and the only one of our 20 skaters that could be argued to be anywhere near as weak as Bennett is Sutter.

Saying he's in the bottom 10% of the league in terms of strength isn't exactly the stretch that it would be to, for example, try to say Pascal Dupuis (who, incidentally, had 17 more goals, 20 something more assists and a boatload more Selke votes than Bennett in his 23 year old season) is an AHL-level talent without his work ethic.

Odd that this child-man with half the strength of your average leukemia patient was able to outmuscle Chara for a puck over the weekend.

Bennett's issue is opportunity, which is why comparing his production to Dupuis' is foolish. That crazy ol' context rearing it's ugly head again. As for Dupuis' talent, you can keep misinterpreting it as an insult and disagreeing with what the man himself said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad