NFL: Ben McAdoo & Jerry Reese fired

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
why fire them now when they just this week gained ground on the #1 & #2 overall picks?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
why fire them now when they just this week gained ground on the #1 & #2 overall picks?

Why wait for the inevitable? Gives them more time to search for replacements, especially when more guys get canned at the end of the month.

Speaking of, apparently 8-10 coaches are expected to get fired this year. More than the yearly average.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Thank f***. Reese was a long time coming. McAdoo deserves to get canned for the way he mishandled everything this season.

Predicting Gruden, Payton, or McDaniels.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why wait for the inevitable? Gives them more time to search for replacements, especially when more guys get canned at the end of the month.

Speaking of, apparently 8-10 coaches are expected to get fired this year. More than the yearly average.

Plus it eliminated a needless month of constant speculation for both guys who were dead men walking anyway. Might as well can them now and get the Giants turmoil off the back pages. Especially with the Eli backlash.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So does Eli start now? Considering how much Mara likes him.

Thank ****. Reese was a long time coming. McAdoo deserves to get canned for the way he mishandled everything this season.

Predicting Gruden, Payton, or McDaniels.

Manning as a first time coach would be tough for him, especially in the biggest media market. As great as he was, the papers would be unforgiving should the team falter. Especially if Eli sticks around.

They might be able to entice Gruden with a full control/Belichik style job but at this point who knows with him.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Manning as a first time coach would be tough for him, especially in the biggest media market. As great as he was, the papers would be unforgiving should the team falter. Especially if Eli sticks around.

Pretty sure he meant Sean Payton.

Here's a good article as to how canning Fisher early helped the Rams process in hiring McVay: Breer: McVay's success offers coach search lessons

Last edited:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I highly doubt Payton is going anywhere anytime soon with the way the Saints have been playing this year. They're starting to accumulate a lot of young talent. If they can find a successor to Brees, they can be good for awhile.

This move was a long time coming. McAdoo has been dreadful.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
No surprise to see this. That Giants team is better than this. 2017 is a lost season for them. Hoping with a new coach 2018 will be better for them. Would Gruden leave his cushy broadcasting job though ? I don't know.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I’m sutptised to an extent after making the playoffs McAdoo didn’t get another shot but the in depth numbers suggested the Giants were lucky to go 11-5 last year and they never scored 30 or more points in a game since he’s been the coach

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What an absolute disaster. The Giants thought that because they are the Giants that this kind of situation could be avoided, instead of just firing McAdoo when they should have weeks ago.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
McAdoo has to go, he lost the locker room and players revolted against him. He had no control on his players and they basically quit in him. Adding the Eli benching was pretty much the last straw the Mara’s took.

Reese, as much I’m thankful for those 2 Super Bowls in the past decade, has fallen off the wagon for the past 5 seasons. Either than Odell Beckham, JPP and Landon Collins, his other draft selections have been terrible. He has not addressed the bad offensive line which was troublesome to begin with, the running game (which the Giants have preached power football going back to Parcells time) has been bad.

Erick Flowers, Eli Apple are the recent Reese picks which have resulted in terrible results.

Reese last season had money to spend on defense and it worked, but that’s saying something when your draft picks have been less than stellar.

In terms of the new GM and Head Coach, he will be inheriting a good defense, great receivers...what’s needed is offensive line, running game and probably a new QB.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
GM's don't hit on every pick but you can't f*** up high 1sts like he did with Flowers and Apple. They were both projects at positions. Apple will be a solid #2 eventually but Flowers is a disaster.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
No surprise to see this. That Giants team is better than this. 2017 is a lost season for them. Hoping with a new coach 2018 will be better for them. Would Gruden leave his cushy broadcasting job though ? I don't know.

Maybe if they give him the dual GM/coach role and a truck load of money. I get the feeling he has the itch to come back.

Reese, as much I’m thankful for those 2 Super Bowls in the past decade, has fallen off the wagon for the past 5 seasons. Either than Odell Beckham, JPP and Landon Collins, his other draft selections have been terrible. He has not addressed the bad offensive line which was troublesome to begin with, the running game (which the Giants have preached power football going back to Parcells time) has been bad.

That first Super Bowl was all Ernie Accorsi.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think McAdoo should have got another week...

just because I wanted to see if he drug the Lombardi Trophy behind his car and stood on the sidelines wearing a body suit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad