BEN HUTTON D, VANCOUVER CANUCKS

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Ben Hutton is reportedly attracting interest from plenty of teams as an unrestricted free agent.

According to Dennis Bernstein of the Fourth Period, Los Angeles is in mix for Hutton along with Detroit, Minnesota and the New York Rangers. Hutton became a free agent after he didn't receive a qualifying offer from Vancouver.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Before we get anyone Yzerman needs to figured out who he needs to keep and who should go. The most important are Bert, Mantha, AA , New contracts. He needs to see progress from prospects to decide were they will play

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
I know nothing about the guy, but why not. Our D is a mess, so trying castoffs from other teams can’t make it worse. Low risk, decent reward. If NY is in the mix, that is probably where he is going to end up, though. Players opting to sign there seems like a familiar pattern

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I've heard from Vancouver fans that he was Brendan Smith bad (and Brendan Smith playoff good a handful of times) last season.

I'd stay away.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If we are trading out Green and Daley then I'd consider it, but as things are he doesn't move the needle at all, would just be another bottom pair guy to add to the seemingly dozen we already possess

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I don't know a ton about Ben Hutton, but for me its all about upside. If he legitimately has the upside to be a top 4 guy, I'd sign him. If he is nothing more then a bottom pairing guy, I'm not interested unless we are talking a minor league deal which I'm guessing have no chance of happening.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I know nothing about the guy, but why not. Our D is a mess, so trying castoffs from other teams can’t make it worse. Low risk, decent reward. If NY is in the mix, that is probably where he is going to end up, though. Players opting to sign there seems like a familiar pattern
He's not really a castoff in the true sense, he was arbitration eligible an VAN thought he'd get too much in arbitration. Even a QO would have been $2.8M. Projected salary is $3 - 4M, and if it's in that range I'll pass. Id it was one of those 2 year $.9M type deals like DLR, I would do it in a heartbeat, but that's probably not the case.

Anything over $3M & 2 years (like Nemeth), I'd just as soon wait for Cholo to be ready. I think he gets more than that.

Also, Rangers don't have the cap space.

Reactions: Retire91

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
He's not really a castoff in the true sense, he was arbitration eligible an VAN thought he'd get too much in arbitration. Even a QO would have been $2.8M. Projected salary is $3 - 4M, and if it's in that range I'll pass. Id it was one of those 2 year $.9M type deals like DLR, I would do it in a heartbeat, but that's probably not the case.

Anything over $3M & 2 years (like Nemeth), I'd just as soon wait for Cholo to be ready. I think he gets more than that.

Whats the connection to the Rangers?

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

This. Hutton is not bad with the right partner. And still has upside.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't see enough upside to work to find room to shoehorn him into the lineup. If the Wings are going through that much effort, I'd rather see them chase that college kid that refused to sign with Washington.

Reactions: martinez

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't see enough upside to work to find room to shoehorn him into the lineup. If the Wings are going through that much effort, I'd rather see them chase that college kid that refused to sign with Washington.
Chasing Priskie isn't a bad idea, but he's right handed. I suppose he could be full time after Green gets traded, gets injured, or becomes sick. (Not wishing any bad luck, I like Greenie, but I never expect him to stay healthy.) Not sure if Chase will want to sign with the Wings considering the number of right handed prospects in the system. If he does, that's a big win. We'll find out in 4 days, but the only rumors are Canes and Habs so far.

Back to the original subject, the upside to Hutton is that he's not Ericsson or Daley. That's probably enough reason to sign him, but not enough to sign him long term or for a lot of money because Cholo will be ready sooner or later.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Ben Hutton is reportedly attracting interest from plenty of teams as an unrestricted free agent.

According to Dennis Bernstein of the Fourth Period, Los Angeles is in mix for Hutton along with Detroit, Minnesota and the New York Rangers. Hutton became a free agent after he didn't receive a qualifying offer from Vancouver.
I've heard from Vancouver fans that he was Brendan Smith bad (and Brendan Smith playoff good a handful of times) last season.

I'd stay away.

Based on this, sign him for one year and then get Gorton to send over a 2nd and 3rd at the deadline for him.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Ben Hutton is the same as literally any other NHL player for the Wings. Play for league minimum and be cool with getting kicked out of your spot when a prospect is ready? I'll sign you. Want a couple million dollars where you're gonna end up being another damn 6th defensemen? Go to hell.

Basically, when they signed Nemeth, I lost any interest in signing Ds who were not a clear upgrade on something we have. Hutton is not that.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Chasing Priskie isn't a bad idea, but he's right handed. I suppose he could be full time after Green gets traded, gets injured, or becomes sick. (Not wishing any bad luck, I like Greenie, but I never expect him to stay healthy.) Not sure if Chase will want to sign with the Wings considering the number of right handed prospects in the system. If he does, that's a big win. We'll find out in 4 days, but the only rumors are Canes and Habs so far.

Back to the original subject, the upside to Hutton is that he's not Ericsson or Daley. That's probably enough reason to sign him, but not enough to sign him long term or for a lot of money because Cholo will be ready sooner or later.

I think we can pump up some trade value on Ericsson/Daley. We rag on them but they are over their heads on this team. If they can go out this year, play ~19 minutes and not stand out as being aggressively bad (which I don't think they are), they'll be movable after January. Ericsson on the second pair getting bad match-ups with a rookie or questionable partner is one thing. plug him onto a contenders third pairing with appropriate match-ups and a reasonable partner? I think he'll look pretty alright, especially in the playoffs where he can use his size to cheat a bit defensively.

I'm not sure Hutton would have that same appeal, even if he came in and played well. Also, not sure he really wants to sign a contract short enough to encourage being dealt in six months. In a big way, I'm most looking forward to February this year and Yzerman making some moves to clean up the blueline at that point. That and seeing how the kids progress again.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think we can pump up some trade value on Ericsson/Daley. We rag on them but they are over their heads on this team. If they can go out this year, play ~19 minutes and not stand out as being aggressively bad (which I don't think they are), they'll be movable after January. Ericsson on the second pair getting bad match-ups with a rookie or questionable partner is one thing. plug him onto a contenders third pairing with appropriate match-ups and a reasonable partner? I think he'll look pretty alright, especially in the playoffs where he can use his size to cheat a bit defensively.

I'm not sure Hutton would have that same appeal, even if he came in and played well. Also, not sure he really wants to sign a contract short enough to encourage being dealt in six months. In a big way, I'm most looking forward to February this year and Yzerman making some moves to clean up the blueline at that point. That and seeing how the kids progress again.
Daley will have more TDL value than BigE, Cup experience and veteran presence BS. Suitable for 3rd pair, someone always gets injured before TDL. (Kempny injury really screwed the Caps last season.) Everyone knows BigE has hip problems, doubt any team takes a risk on him even as a playoff rental.

I don't see Hutton signing a 1 or 2 year contract either. I would take him if he did. If not we wait for Cholo. Not really a big deal either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad