Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
The Ben Hutton sweepstakes have begun!

giphy.gif

Marcel

Sep 24, 2015
Keep in mind that Ben Hutton was chained to the boat anchor of Erik Gudbranson for a good portion of the last few seasons, and when freed from EG was much more effective. Definitely worth taking a flyer on.

Considering that Gudbranson's game picked up in Pittsburgh, you might have that backwards.

Hutton is a 5/6 defense man who struggles when moved higher up in the line up, question is what do you want in that 5/6 spot? A finesse or a physical player?

I would think most teams are looking for more of a physical style of play in that spot which isn't Hutton's game.

Playing him in the 3/4 spot and asking him to produce offensively is when he gets into trouble.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Considering that Gudbranson's game picked up in Pittsburgh, you might have that backwards.

Shocking he looked like a much better player on a team that went 12-4-4 since acquiring him, and on a division winning Florida team before coming to Vancouver. It makes a difference when your team always has the puck rather than being locked in your own zone for 2/3rd's of the game.

Hutton when paired with Gudbranson 2017-2019:
42.91 CF%
39.47 SCF%
32.84 GF%

Hutton when not paired with Gudbranson 2017-2019:
50.55 CF%
49.77 SCF%
50.59 GF%

Now maybe Gudbrason has found a place where is a valuable player and that would be great. However, in Vancouver he was a strong contender for the worst defensemen in the NHL.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
My worry is where we stash him. As alluded to we have a million contracts and a million middling LHD. And with Forbort out a bit with a beat up back, the worry is who is Drew's partner...if we somehow start the season with a Doughty-Hutton top pairing I might break my keyboard earlier than expected.

Edit: don't get me wrong having Forbort as Drew's partner is STILL a huge stupid miscast, guy needs to be on a not top pairing anywhere.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Doesn't look like it's happening but I want him in Tor, the Leafs need to fix their bottom pair.

We know the Leafs were interested because it came out that Toronto and Vancouver came close to a deal before the RFA qualifying deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad