Recalled/Assigned: Ben Harpur called up, Robinson and Varone sent back Dec 13

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
I thought Englund played really well in his limited minutes, he looks like he could be a solid shut-down D at some point in the future.

I'm surprised Harpur has been called in to replace him. Maybe they just want to see how he's progressing? I would think a game against the Sharks isn't the best time for that, though.

Edit: I guess it makes sense if Wideman misses next game and we need a RD.

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Our depth is fine. Harpur is what? Our 9th defenseman behind Claesson and Englund? 10th if you count Chabot? Go look at other team's 9th/10th defenseman and see what they have.

Content comes with comparing your favorite team to others around the league. I don't really agree with this line of thinking.

Regarding the bolded, that's my point though. We've been shuffling between our depth defenceman throughout the season which IMO speaks to the quality of depth we have.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Big stay at home defenceman right handed shot replaces Wideman if he doesn't play. It was him or Kostka.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Content comes with comparing your favorite team to others around the league. I don't really agree with this line of thinking.

Regarding the bolded, that's my point though. We've been shuffling between our depth defenceman throughout the season which IMO speaks to the quality of depth we have.

Ok, so ignoring the Chabot situation in which we gave a guy some exposure for development purposes, we called up a LHD Claesson, who played when needed. He was deemed adequate to play on his off side in place of Wideman when he was out. Claesson got hurt, so we called up Englund when Methot went down (two LHD). Methot's back, but Boro is suspended so Englund keeps that spot. A right handed D now went down, so we called up a RHD.

If Claesson were healthy, he'd likely get the nod even on his off-side, but he's not. We aren't bouncing between different options, we are just talking the next available one. As of right now, it looks as though Wideman, Boro, and Claesson will not, or at least might not be available, so we need to replace two roster players and have our primary callup unavailable.

Shuffling depth d suggests we have one spot to fill and have been rotating through the options. We have 2 spots to fill, and our #1 option to do that is injured.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
You'd think coming out of a rebuild you'd have some exciting prospects on the cusp

The call up depth sucks

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Our depth is fine. Harpur is what? Our 9th defenseman behind Claesson and Englund? 10th if you count Chabot? Go look at other team's 9th/10th defenseman and see what they have.

All those guys are the same defensive type defenseman... how this club has no PMD on the farm is mind blowing

if Chabot busts we have nothing... it's mind blowing the complete disregard for PMD this organization has.

Wideman is a PMD and there just is nothing to replace him with

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Lost in these moves was the shuffling of Driedger to the ECHL, and the promotion of Greenham to Bingo to be the second goalie with O'Connor. Wut? Why would the club do this? Very strange on the surface...

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
You'd think coming out of a rebuild you'd have some exciting prospects on the cusp

The call up depth sucks

Hoffman, Stone, Pageau, Lazar, Dzingel, Ceci are all players with 3 years or less of NHL experience that we drafted during the rebuild you speak of.

White, Brown, Chabot coming up, along with other nice prospects.

Doesn't look bad to me.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
All those guys are the same defensive type defenseman... how this club has no PMD on the farm is mind blowing

if Chabot busts we have nothing... it's mind blowing the complete disregard for PMD this organization has.

Wideman is a PMD and there just is nothing to replace him with

Teams puckmoving D prospects are Chabot, Lajoie, Wolainin, and Gendron. The latter two are probably longshots at best, I expect them to bust, but you can potentially add Jaros to the list as his puckmoving has taken some good leaps forward since being drafted.

Lajoie looks very good so far.

If you actually were to look at the type of D we've drafted, it doesn't align with what your suggesting:

PMD|2Way|DD
Chabot|Jaros|Englund
Lajoie|Wolainen|Harpur
Gendron|Wikstrand|
Ceci||
Boyle||
Summers||

The line between PMD and 2way and 2way and DD can be blurry, but very few of our picks are truly DD (maybe you could add Jaros as that's what they thought he'd become). The problem is our 2way and PMD haven't turned out yet. Wiksrtand decided he didn't want an NHL career (yet at least) and the rest are either already here or have failed to develop. That's not a case of a team that targets DD

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Lost in these moves was the shuffling of Driedger to the ECHL, and the promotion of Greenham to Bingo to be the second goalie with O'Connor. Wut? Why would the club do this? Very strange on the surface...

Apparently that was done to allow both if them to start as many games as possible.

========================

Concerning Harpur, Boucher said he had made good progress, was one of the better D in Bingo, was learning to be a bit more physical, was in the conversation when Englund was called up and that it was a left-D vs right-D decision at the time when Methot was injured.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Teams puckmoving D prospects are Chabot, Lajoie, Wolainin, and Gendron. The latter two are probably longshots at best, I expect them to bust, but you can potentially add Jaros to the list as his puckmoving has taken some good leaps forward since being drafted.

Lajoie looks very good so far.

If you actually were to look at the type of D we've drafted, it doesn't align with what your suggesting:

PMD|2Way|DD
Chabot|Jaros|Englund
Lajoie|Wolainen|Harpur
Gendron|Wikstrand|
Ceci||
Boyle||
Summers||

The line between PMD and 2way and 2way and DD can be blurry, but very few of our picks are truly DD (maybe you could add Jaros as that's what they thought he'd become). The problem is our 2way and PMD haven't turned out yet. Wiksrtand decided he didn't want an NHL career (yet at least) and the rest are either already here or have failed to develop. That's not a case of a team that targets DD

He's living in the 2007-2010 era, haha.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I remember Harpur looking pretty bad, but who else do they have? Is Mike "Cement Skates" Kostka still in the organization?

How does the rule regarding junior talent work? Can they still recall Chabot for another 8 games (he has played 1 so far)?

Guessing Phillips is dropping mad hints around the Sens offices that he's been doing bag skates and keeping in shape.

I do believe there is an emergency provision in place to temporarily call up a kid in the CHL, but there would really have to be some crazy circumstances. I think realistically, the only place where it would even apply is with goalies. And even then, it could only be for a tiny number of games (way less than the 8 gimmies for juniors).

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Harpur looks pretty good tbh,he might be a candidate to replace Boro.As for Englund i see him more as a top 4 guy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I thought Harpur looked less like a deer in the headlights than Englund. I think Englund will be better but Harpur seemed more comfortable out of the gate.

Burns burning him aside. Burns is a beast to handle if he gets a step on you for anyone.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I thought Harpur looked less like a deer in the headlights than Englund. I think Englund will be better but Harpur seemed more comfortable out of the gate.

Burns burning him aside. Burns is a beast to handle if he gets a step on you for anyone.
Its all beard....:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad