Confirmed with Link: Ben Chiarot (50%) for 2023 1st round pick, 2022 4th round pick, and Ty Smilanic

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
This is by far the worst trade Zito has made as a GM.

Chiarot did next to nothing for this team and it cost them a 1st rounder+. Montreal laughing all the way through this one.

This is just false, Chiarot is a great defenseman...he was put in a situation where the team in front of him didn't do much (or anything) and the defenseman next to him was average.

Chiarot was the least of the Panthers' concern, he doesn't do anything great but he's well balanced and good at everything..he has size, can skate very well, can hit, excellent defensively and can chip in offensively as well.

I would gladly take him back on the habs...

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
This is just false, Chiarot is a great defenseman...he was put in a situation where the team in front of him didn't do much (or anything) and the defenseman next to him was average.

Chiarot was the least of the Panthers' concern, he doesn't do anything great but he's well balanced and good at everything..he has size, can skate very well, can hit, excellent defensively and can chip in offensively as well.

I would gladly take him back on the habs...

I don’t think he was terrible but which of Zito’s trades were worse? We gave up a lot especially if he ends up as just a rental.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
I don’t think he was terrible but which of Zito’s trades were worse? We gave up a lot especially if he ends up as just a rental.
When he was acquired, he was the best that money can buy, but yes there were better choices but not at that trade deadline

Also he was Ok, not great, not bad, but we did not loose the round because of him.
I think they should trade Duclair and Weegar and retool our Defense, with even grittier defensemen. And bring Trotz

Reactions: icedog77

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
When he was acquired, he was the best that money can buy, but yes there were better choices but not at that trade deadline

Also he was Ok, not great, not bad, but we did not loose the round because of him.
I think they should trade Duclair and Weegar and retool our Defense, with even grittier defensemen. And bring Trotz

Disagree

Kulak was a trade deadline guy and is better (and I think affordable)

Lindholm was the best available (though unaffordable in all likelihood).

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Maybe if we actually PLAYED Ben Chiarot, people would have a better opinion of him…

He is something we don’t have on this team… Something we need MORE of ! Not less…

It’s laughable how « soft » we were as a team, yet people want to go all vanilla and don’t want the kind of player Chiarot is around this team.

Enjoy the regular season than my friends… We’re not winning the Stanley Cup with the Montours and the Thorntons…

icedog77

Aug 15, 2014
Look at the defense of teams remaining in the playoffs. None of them are carrying defensive liabilities as bad as Weegar, Forsling and to some extent Montour. They all have big mobile, gritty steady defensive defensemen, with a few of them being offensive dynamos as well. The panthers "best" defenseman Ekblad has many of those qualities but is definitely not in the same shape as the leagues top four or five elite defensemen. South florida has made this guy soft. If this team was playing in a Canadian market, players like Barkov, Hubredeau, Ekblad would be getting roasted for their piss poor performance when it counts most. Weegar, with his pee wee defensive lapses costing games would be run out of town. I don,t think I saw forsling put a body on anyone the entire playoffs, but I did see alot of fly bys from him. This team needs a major overhaul, especially from the so called leadership group. Trade the non performers before the mistake is made of overpaying, like the bobrovsky contract (he actually wasn't that bad, but not 10 mil worth)

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Curious what he’s looking for money wise. I’d like to retain him, big physical guy, can clear the crease, will block shots, and he skates well. And even though Forsling and Weegar are cheap, Ekblad on a very reasonable contract, our D is still relatively expensive because we spend 6mil on a 3rd pairing. If they keep chiarot they’d most likely have to move one of Gudas or montour (or Weegar)

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Curious what he’s looking for money wise. I’d like to retain him, big physical guy, can clear the crease, will block shots, and he skates well. And even though Forsling and Weegar are cheap, Ekblad on a very reasonable contract, our D is still relatively expensive because we spend 6mil on a 3rd pairing. If they keep chiarot they’d most likely have to move one of Gudas or montour (or Weegar)
I think if he re-signs both sides will agree to something around 3.5-4.5 for 3-4 years.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
What a clown post, if Chiarot was awful then almost everyone was awful. Chiarot was the least of the Panthers' concern...he fills a need for Florida and is the type of defenseman you should be adding more of, but sure...let him walk, ideally back to Montreal.
Agreed he was one of our better D in the playoffs, probably top 3. Weegar and Gudas were definitely the worst.

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
What a clown post, if Chiarot was awful then almost everyone was awful. Chiarot was the least of the Panthers' concern...he fills a need for Florida and is the type of defenseman you should be adding more of, but sure...let him walk, ideally back to Montreal

Fine by me mate, guy was a non factor you can have him. Definitely not as advertised and had black hole level advanced metrics in some of our games. Idk what everyone else was watching all I saw was a slow skater who refused to use his size for whatever reason.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Fine by me mate, guy was a non factor you can have him. Definitely not as advertised and had black hole level advanced metrics in some of our games. Idk what everyone else was watching all I saw was a slow skater who refused to use his size for whatever reason.

The whole he will scare the opposition was blown out of proportion. He was actually a lot less physical than I was expecting as well.

I thought he was okay. Certainly not worth the assets we gave up for him. Especially if he isn't re-signed.

icedog77

Aug 15, 2014
Ask Nick Paul with the separated shoulder if Chiarot refused to use his size.....as far as metrics goes, I think I would be far more concerned about the over paid, over hyped but great metrics forwards on this team that pulled a no show these playoffs..what was that power play....1 for 31?

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Ask Nick Paul with the separated shoulder if Chiarot refused to use his size.....as far as metrics goes, I think I would be far more concerned about the over paid, over hyped but great metrics forwards on this team that pulled a no show these playoffs..what was that power play....1 for 31?

paul doesn't have a separated shoulder. he's penciled in at 2C tonight.

anyway, i don't have a problem with chiarot but i also don't think he was a difference-maker. part of the issue, perhaps, is that we were MUCH better than montreal was 5v5 and didn't spend as much time in our end, which meant that the game he played last year never had to materialize. outside of that one costly coverage error, he was Ok.

i might prefer to learn from our mistakes and scoop up kulak as a UFA but zito may have too much pride to do that.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
He wasn't the impact player that he was brought in to be IMO. And I wouldn't have paid that price. But I will say that he might have had/have a different impact under a different structured type of team play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad