Confirmed with Link: Ben Chiarot (50%) for 2023 1st round pick, 2022 4th round pick, and Ty Smilanic

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Yeah except I’ll repeat again that this is one place where Zito was inconsistent.
1) Not all in on the coach
2) All in on players that seemed to fit budget, performance, team, possible future extension

Nobody is commenting on this inconsistency; mostly people talk about Chiarot not being worth a first rounder, but I think there’s a bigger picture failure at work here. It’s the only significant miss by Zito that I see.

If people just want to debate Chiarot, I don’t see, without the benefit of hindsight, who would have been a better D to pick up, given all the constraints?

In ~24 months Zito assembled a team capable of doing something we haven’t done in 26 years.

I don’t think he was consistent at all and I trust this front office more than any other front office in our history by a mile.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Yeah except I’ll repeat again that this is one place where Zito was inconsistent.
1) Not all in on the coach
2) All in on players that seemed to fit budget, performance, team, possible future extension

Nobody is commenting on this inconsistency; mostly people talk about Chiarot not being worth a first rounder, but I think there’s a bigger picture failure at work here. It’s the only significant miss by Zito that I see.

If people just want to debate Chiarot, I don’t see, without the benefit of hindsight, who would have been a better D to pick up, given all the constraints?

well that's easy - kulak has done a nice job in edmonton. we talked about him at the time. he was relatively cheap. wouldn't have been a flashy pick but is a decent puck-mover who would've solidified the left side.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
I think this should serve as a learning experience for Zito going forward

Yes, this trade ended up not being awful in the end. But we were very very close to a disaster for not lottery protecting that pick.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Soooooooo…

Chiarot for a second-rounder ?

What a genius Zito is, what an amazing trade… Said it all along ! lol

f*** IT MONTREAL !!!

:naughty::D
Sorry Not even today this was a good trade. Because Chiarot played so bad here it's off the Charts.

In the Playoff he brought nothing to work with.

So we payed a 2nd Rounder for nothing or a name, that's it. that's make it a bad trade.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I thought Chiarot was OK in the playoffs. The trade would have been decent if they had re-signed him to a team friendly deal. But they didn't, so it was clearly a bad trade. It's fine, Zito followed up with what currently looks like one of the best trades in the history of the sport.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I thought Chiarot was OK in the playoffs. The trade would have been decent if they had re-signed him to a team friendly deal. But they didn't, so it was clearly a bad trade. It's fine, Zito followed up with what currently looks like one of the best trades in the history of the sport.

Chiarot was brought in to be a physical-presence and stabilizing defensive-force...

Our clown of a coach decided he wouldn't play him with Ekblad, and wouldn't play him more than 16 minutes...

I'm sorry, I never said this was a good trade (only for sarcasm), but I've always said it was stupid from the coach to not play a player that your GM paid a ransom to get...

One of Bruno's many mistakes in our last playoffs run.

You don't get Ben Chiarot to NOT play him !

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I also think the Ekblad injury screwed up how they probably envisioned using Chiarot. I doubt Zito made the trade without at least consulting Brunette first on what he thinks the team needs. But then Ek got hurt and Bruno didn't know what to do when he came back.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I feel the same way about Brunette as I do Huberdeau. Was it the right decision to move on? Yes, 100%. But why shit on them?

Like, so sorry Brunette was thrown into an impossible situation as a first time head coach only to lead us to a President's Trophy and our 1st series victory in forever. Yeah, what an asshole.

Because he didn’t do anything noticeable as a coach in the playoffs, and our victory was only due to the great group of players we have and Q’s work ?

I’m not bashing Huberdeau, and I defended Bruno the whole year, I was even okay to give him another shot…

But we have a group that seems ready, so we needed a coach that doesn’t have to learn on the fly !

Weegar and Brunette have had some terrible takes after their departure… Huberdeau was sour in his first couple of interviews and that I can understand, but the other two had stupid comments made around September or October, and I lost A LOT of respect for both of them.

In the case of Chiarot, you may not like the trade by Zito, but we have to acknowledge that Ben was SOOOOOO badly deployed during our playoffs-run, it was ridiculous !

Imagine if Q put Bennett on the 4th-line like in Calgary after Zito paid TWO second-rounders for a former 4th overall pick ? We wouldn’t be here today IMO.

Reactions: Mogo

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Because he didn’t do anything noticeable as a coach in the playoffs, and our victory was only due to the great group of players we have and Q’s work ?

I’m not bashing Huberdeau, and I defended Bruno the whole year, I was even okay to give him another shot…

But we have a group that seems ready, so we needed a coach that doesn’t have to learn on the fly !

Weegar and Brunette have had some terrible takes after their departure… Huberdeau was sour in his first couple of interviews and that I can understand, but the other two had stupid comments made around September or October, and I lost A LOT of respect for both of them.

In the case of Chiarot, you may not like the trade by Zito, but we have to acknowledge that Ben was SOOOOOO badly deployed during our playoffs-run, it was ridiculous !

Imagine if Q put Bennett on the 4th-line like in Calgary after Zito paid TWO second-rounders for a former 4th overall pick ? We wouldn’t be here today IMO.

Chiarot played the whole playoffs like he was trying to avoid getting hurt before his next contract. He wasn‘t anything like the warrior we were promised from Hab‘s fans. He was a mediocre middle pairing d man and nothing more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad