Ben Bishop: Will he keep it up?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Bishop is arguably the first legit #1 goaltender this franchise has had since Khabibulin (can't really count Roloson for that half season). But will he be able to keep it up?

Make your pick.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Yes. I think his numbers will regress back up to around a .930 and his goal against will stay around 2.20. I really believe that, if he recovers fully by training camp, we will see pre-January Bishop next year.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I voted yes but that's more hoping than knowing for certain. I want to see a second good season from him. I just hope that these injuries are fully healed come October and he can play fully healthy. If those injuries still affect him and he doesn't dominate, people will start to question him being just a flash in a pan and his confidence could be destroyed.

It goes without saying that next season is huge for Bishop. He can establish himself as one of the best in the league if he continues from where he left off.

TASA

Jun 19, 2007
Digby, NS
I voted that he will be a legit #1 for years to come. I just don't see it being with the Lightning. I can honestly see him being traded in 2-3 years to make way for Vasaya, who is undoubtedly going to be our #1 Franchise goalie (barring any major setbacks or injuries).

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
I picked yes, but a certain amount of regression is possible. Do I think he'll regress to a mediocre goalie? No. Do I think he may level out to be an excellent (if not Vezina-elite-level) goalie? Yes.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
there will be some regression for Bishop next year, but do I see ~.920, maybe nearing ~.925? Yes, I could see that. Basically, what he did in the 2013 season.

Doctor Drej

Unregistered User
Jan 10, 2009
The Quiet Room
I voted that he will be a legit #1 for years to come. I just don't see it being with the Lightning. I can honestly see him being traded in 2-3 years to make way for Vasaya, who is undoubtedly going to be our #1 Franchise goalie (barring any major setbacks or injuries).

we finally have a legit #1 guy and we're already discussing how we're gonna get rid of him to make way for a prospect that hasn't proven **** yet.

this is why I hate the whole prospect mindset of HF/BP sometimes.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
we finally have a legit #1 guy and we're already discussing how we're gonna get rid of him to make way for a prospect that hasn't proven **** yet.

this is why I hate the whole prospect mindset of HF/BP sometimes.

Bishop's #1 until Vasi takes it from him. No reason to think otherwise. I see no way management simply moves Bishop to "make way" for Vasi until Vasi forces the issue with his play. And that could be so far down the line that it's barely worth speculating about.

Getting back on topic, even if Bishop doesn't return to his October/November form, he's still a Vezina caliber goalie. What we saw in the first half of the year was something entirely different and downright magical. It's good to know Bish has that up his sleeve. If he returns to that form full time, great (WOW!), but we should realize that what we were seeing was on par with prime Dominic Hasek. We can't expect it. But we'll obviously be pretty pleased whenever we see a run like that.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Bishop stays until he plays his way out of it or someone else plays their way into it.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Bishop's #1 until Vasi takes it from him. No reason to think otherwise. I see no way management simply moves Bishop to "make way" for Vasi until Vasi forces the issue with his play. And that could be so far down the line that it's barely worth speculating about.

Getting back on topic, even if Bishop doesn't return to his October/November form, he's still a Vezina caliber goalie. What we saw in the first half of the year was something entirely different and downright magical. It's good to know Bish has that up his sleeve. If he returns to that form full time, great (WOW!), but we should realize that what we were seeing was on par with prime Dominic Hasek. We can't expect it. But we'll obviously be pretty pleased whenever we see a run like that.

Bishop stays until he plays his way out of it or someone else plays their way into it.

Yup, these. No way we move Bishop unless we have a reason to. Those reasons being Bishop starts to regress or Gud/Vasi play their way into the #1 spot. Either way, this isn't even a discussion for at least 2 years.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I think bishop is the real deal. I think we have a problem in the future will be good problems with the three kids and bishop. I fully expect him to be a vezina candidate in the future with this team and fully expect him to reach a cup level.

If he does all of that do we trade the kids keep bishop etc.. is a good problem to have like I have stated. I really think is about 50/50 at this point and he could play his way into the starter roll for 8-10 more years.

Hopefully we become better defensively and tougher so he doesnt get ran etc. in the future to make his life easier also:)

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
One thing that doesnt go away is his compete level. Bishop has that excellence in him because he doesnt back down...feisty to say the least. He is technically sound and athletic to boot...no reason not to expect similar numbers down the road. Our D should get better over time and our coaching demands two way play so that bodes well for his future with the Lightning as well.

TASA

Jun 19, 2007
Digby, NS

This is what I meant by my comment. I will be more than happy if Bish keeps this level of play and we end up trading Vasi, or whatever the plans are when it comes time. All I'm saying is Vasilevskiy is the #1 Goaltending prospect in the world right now, and you have to believe he is in the long term plans for this team. I admit, I may have been a little too optimistic when I said 2-3 years. Believe me I am not bashing on Bishop in any way, I love the guy. I think the Lightning would rather be in a situation where they have 2-3 guys that can possibly be #1 goalies in the NHL than the problem they had the past 10 years.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This is what I meant by my comment. I will be more than happy if Bish keeps this level of play and we end up trading Vasi, or whatever the plans are when it comes time. All I'm saying is Vasilevskiy is the #1 Goaltending prospect in the world right now, and you have to believe he is in the long term plans for this team. I admit, I may have been a little too optimistic when I said 2-3 years. Believe me I am not bashing on Bishop in any way, I love the guy. I think the Lightning would rather be in a situation where they have 2-3 guys that can possibly be #1 goalies in the NHL than the problem they had the past 10 years.

Yeah, with goalies, sometimes long term can mean very very long-term. If Bishop returns to anything close to his play in the first 1/2, it's going to be awfully hard for any goalie to tear a #1 spot from him in the foreseeable future. Even if Bishop is still starting 3, 4, or 5 years from now, that's still not a reason to trade Vasilevski. In 5 years he'll be 24. Tuuka Rask became a legit starter at, what, 25? Sometimes that's just the way the cards fall.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I figure it would just be some interplanetary discussion where they tell Bishop that they are very concerned with what is happening on this planet, and then they'd beam him back down.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He might not have that stud Lindback breathing down his neck and let up a little. If our D plays like they did for most of last season his numbers should be similar, if playoff D show up it can take a little dip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad