Ben Bishop on Team USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Did a quick search and didn't see anything but I think Bishop should get a serious look from Team USA.

13-2 with a save percentage .927% and a GAA of 2.11. He's out played some of the other Americans like Schneider and Howard. He plays in front of a defense that nobody gives a lot of credit.

Thoughts?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Did a quick search and didn't see anything but I think Bishop should get a serious look from Team USA.

13-2 with a save percentage .927% and a GAA of 2.11. He's out played some of the other Americans like Schneider and Howard. He plays in front of a defense that nobody gives a lot of credit.

Thoughts?

Quick, Howard, and Miller are probably getting the nod.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Bishop, probably not.

A better question is can Harding start for Canada?

START for Canada?

Don't see how that is a better question because there is ZERO chance Harding is Canada's starting goalie.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
No. Luongo, Price, Fleury and Ward will be there before him.

Back to the original question, probably not. Hes most likely around 5th on the list.

disagree on last name, while lukewarm on Fleury's inclusion. I think the 3rd goalie ends up being Holtby or Crawford.

eklunds source

Jul 23, 2008
Ed Snider's basement
Nikolai Khabibulin started last season 9-0-1 for the Oilers with a 0.960+ sv%.

Brian Boucher once had 5 consecutive shutouts.

Marc-Andre Fleury won a Stanley Cup.

Steve Mason was borderline-elite for the first 2 months of his career.

Brian Elliott once had a 0.940sv% over ~35 games.

Making decisions on goaltending based on short term or small sample results is a horrendous decision. The difference between an average NHL goaltender and an AHL goaltender is small enough that you can mistake one for the other if they get on a good run.

Congrats to Bishop for starting the year on fire but it simply isn't indicative of how good a keeper he is.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Nikolai Khabibulin started last season 9-0-1 for the Oilers with a 0.960+ sv%.

Brian Boucher once had 5 consecutive shutouts.

Marc-Andre Fleury won a Stanley Cup.

Steve Mason was borderline-elite for the first 2 months of his career.

Brian Elliott once had a 0.940sv% over ~35 games.

Making decisions on goaltending based on short term or small sample results is a horrendous decision. The difference between an average NHL goaltender and an AHL goaltender is small enough that you can mistake one for the other if they get on a good run.

Congrats to Bishop for starting the year on fire but it simply isn't indicative of how good a keeper he is.

While I get your point, what is the Olympics if not a small sample size itself? You're talking about 5 or 6 meaningful games in a 2 week span. Any goalie can catch fire (or stay hot) under those circumstances.

I would say the fact that he has relatively zero "big game" experience should work against him way more than the fact that he's only put up elite stats in a short period of time.

letmesleep

Mar 12, 2009
To everybody saying that there is no way Bishop makes team USA, what do you make of this quote?

Bishop's performance could earn him a spot on the U.S. Olympic Team.

"He's played terrific," U.S. team general manager Dave Poile told the Tampa Bay Times earlier this month. "He's definitely on our radar.

"Especially for goalies, we need guys who are playing well this year," said Poile, the GM of the Nashville Predators. "Certainly that favors somebody like Ben with how he's playing."

Pulled from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad