Confirmed with Link: Belov signs 4 year deal with SKA/KHL

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
He gave the NHL a shot and found that he couldn't handle it. Good riddance.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
He was probably good enough with a little bit more of a time investment, but why would he bother when he could just do this?

Hard to blame him here.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Not surprised.
He took a pay cut to come play here. Must have been a pretty crappy experience for him.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Must have been homesick if he didn't bother to see if there was a second opinion from a competent organization on his ability to be an NHL player.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Another MacT fail. Belov was smart though, got probably a nice offer and jumped at it.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Meh, he'll get much more money in Russia than he could anywhere in the NHL. I'm sure the Oilers aren't losing too much sleep over him leaving either. Win win situation for both sides.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I fully expected this.
He just wasn't good enough for the NHL. Too slow footed and very slow decision maker.
It was a worthwhile shot though but of course, the usual suspects will blame MacT for this one.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Dammit... that's not a good sign. I was hoping that he was going to sign with a tanking team other than Edmonton next season.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I fully expected this.
He just wasn't good enough for the NHL. Too slow footed and very slow decision maker.
It was a worthwhile shot though but of course, the usual suspects will blame MacT for this one.

Belov
Jonessu
LOLbarbera
Grebeshkov
Larssen

GMing by throwing crap against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Do you agree or not agree that a gm should be praised for the good moves and taken to task for the bad ones?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I said it in the other thread, but anyways, a guy who I think was better as the season went on and had moments, he's ideally your No.7 or 8 guy, but when he's earning millions in the KHL, why do that here? So now we have an extra depth spot, I think MacT will be able to fill it without problem.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Belov
Jonessu
LOLbarbera
Grebeshkov
Larssen

Do you agree or not agree that a gm should be praised for the good moves and taken to task for the bad ones?

I'm not a MacT fan and he certainly has made his fair share of mistakes but it's hard to get on him too much for signing a coveted Euro free agent, a player that the Pens were in on as well just for perspective.
It didn't work out. **** happens. It was well worth the risk though to see if they could find the next Hedja.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Belov
Jonessu
LOLbarbera
Grebeshkov
Larssen

please list the assets given up in acquiring these players.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I like Belov. With his rookie year in the NHL out of the way, I was hoping for one more year to see if he could improve.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Belov
Jonessu
LOLbarbera
Grebeshkov
Larssen

Wow, he signed labarbera who was our only option at the time to backup and traded him. He signed JJ for cheap and same with Belov who didnt work out and traded Horc for Larrsen. Hard to really give him **** for that, he didnt give these guys long term deals. Grebs was a bad signing from the start but it didnt cost the club anything

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
I liked Belov more than most, he may have failed the high event eye test, but his underlying numbers were far from worst on this team.

I was waiting for that 100 games in North America turn around and thought he might be a decent bottom pairing guy next year.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Belov
Jonessu
LOLbarbera
Grebeshkov
Larssen

None of the first 4 cost an asset and the 5th was obtained by dumping Horcoff.

Unless your Katz or his wife or his son, who cares if they wasted some cash on free assets?

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Belov
Jonessu
LOLbarbera
Grebeshkov
Larssen

Those moves are mostly a feather in the guys cap truthfully. Taking chances on guys who if everything works out might be beneficial and if not oh well. Shows a GM who knows where he needs help and isn't just content to go in with what he already has and is OK throwing a few magic beans into the mix and seeing what happens.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
I liked Belov more than most, he may have failed the high event eye test, but his underlying numbers were far from worst on this team.

I was waiting for that 100 games in North America turn around and thought he might be a decent bottom pairing guy next year.

I agree. I liked him and thought he would do better next year if he came back but he decided to move on. It did not cost any assets to get Belov here in the first place except Katz's money. Wish him best of luck in the KHL.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
please list the assets given up in acquiring these players.

1) Salary
2) Having them means they didn't go after better players.
3) The object of the game is to get good players not get freebies.

Amazing how people excuse the salaries of these guys then say that we couldn't get brizgalov becasue he wanted too much money. Our tending promplty helped us out of playoff contention in the 1st coupld of months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad