Euro Hockey Tour: Beijer Hockey Games, February 9-12

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
I'm watching the slaughter now.. still 0-0 so the pain hasn't begun for me yet.lol

I will say.. I am impressed that guys like Sobotka and Jerabek still try out and attend. The Olympics were a brutal fiasco for them and yet they still want to represent. That is impressive. I honestly thought we'd never see them again. I was a huge Sobotka fan back in the day.

I'm fine with Kempny as our D will be weak at Skoda's.. Hronek should be available and that might be it. Rutta, Gudas are playoff bound. Simek is often hurt. Gudas has no contract. Zboril will be unavilable but also never plays. Hajek will not be available but is now in the AHL. Galvas and Kral are in AHL and won't be available unless teams eliminatied. Knot is buried in AHL too. Same with Jiricek.

I'm thinking a good case on D is Hronek, Klok, Kempny, Jordan and the pick your fav Euro or hope for an AHLer.

Currently net is looking good as we have (pre trade) Vejmelka and Mrazek as a potential 1-2. Dostal also buried in AHL.

Forwards should be good but no Pasta this time. Hope Hertl comes over to be our 1C. The forward group is promising though.. totally agree on Smejkal, Chlapik.. I'll add Spacek as another with Cervenka and Kovar (who you said).

Again, some AHL guys would be nice too like Zohorna and Blumel (boy was I wrong about him playing 60 NHL games... frustrated about that one!)
Well I just dont like and didnt liked Kempny and Jordan game even in last WC, slow, clunky, lot of mistakes, just not good enough anymore for this level.

As for D i would say Hronek of course, then 1round of NHL play off should be done by WC, so Rutta maybe too if he is healthy, Simek maybe also if he is healthy, and since both Columbus nad Cleveland will very likely not be in the PO, Jiricek should be also available.

So I am thinking Hronek, Jiricek, Rutta?, Simek? from America, and from europe Klok, Sklenicka, Kostalek, and then yeah I guess Kempny, even though I dont like his game, but I am sure he will go. But the point is more guys from US should be available.

As for GK Dostal should also be available.

And as for Blumel, yeah I am dissapointed too, thought he is gonna be givem much bigger chance in the NHL this season

Reactions: Czechboy

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Why only 4 nations?

Make it 6.

And in those euro hockey tourneys, they should invite a lesser developed country.

Swe, Fin, Swiss, Czech, Germany, Denmark.

Some derbys etc.

Hungary could grow too, if they got some more invitations to tourneys, so they get relevant

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
A tournament of 4 teams is probably best for round-robin. I would prefer though 8 teams based on previous WC (Germany, Slovakia, Denmark and Latvia would be added), and each team would play against each other home and away. The number of games would be close to what it is now for each team.

Last year Finland played 16 games (6 home, 6 away, 4 neutral) outside of Olympics and World Championships, this system would reduce it to 14 (with 7 home and 7 away). It would take away meetings like Czechia playing against Switzerland in Sweden or in Finland but I don't think that would be a big loss.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Beat the Swiss in OT.

I've noticed a trend with 'high danger chances'.

Eg. we got outshot badly by Sweden but the interview after was that High Danger chances were tied at 7.

Today, we barely had any shots but I'm willing to be we had more high danger chances.

Jalonen went to the World Jr's and kept some stats to share with coaches... I'll be my ass one of them was high danger chances.

Seems to be the mentality going forward which is fine.

Flek scored on a breakaway.. if he could score on every 4th breakaway he'd be a legendary Skoda Cup 4th liner!

Smejkal continues to grow on me and is becoming one of my fav Euro based players.

Stezka looked damn good! I'm hoping we have 2 NHL goalies and a Euro at the Skoda's.

2 wins, 1 loss is good given the roster wasn't that exciting.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well I just dont like and didnt liked Kempny and Jordan game even in last WC, slow, clunky, lot of mistakes, just not good enough anymore for this level.

As for D i would say Hronek of course, then 1round of NHL play off should be done by WC, so Rutta maybe too if he is healthy, Simek maybe also if he is healthy, and since both Columbus nad Cleveland will very likely not be in the PO, Jiricek should be also available.

So I am thinking Hronek, Jiricek, Rutta?, Simek? from America, and from europe Klok, Sklenicka, Kostalek, and then yeah I guess Kempny, even though I dont like his game, but I am sure he will go. But the point is more guys from US should be available.

As for GK Dostal should also be available.

And as for Blumel, yeah I am dissapointed too, thought he is gonna be givem much bigger chance in the NHL this season
I can totally support not liking Kempny (I do but I'm minority, he once played for us without a contract and is the rare NHLer to do that... he clearly loves the NT).

However, no matter how you mix it.. even if we had ALL our D available, it's a weak group today and Kempny is of a similar ability to everyone but Hronek, Gudas and Rutta (who's having a much better season than I expected).

Hope you're right about the AHL guys.. Dostal just got called up, I assume they trade one of Stolarz or Gibson and he stays up? That's probably hope talking but I"m not sure what more he can do in the AHL?

You were right, Simek does have one more year on his contract.. .so hopefully him, Hertl and KAUT come over! Sorry Goodman.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
so far so good. real test is WC
Yes, I think it'll be interesting too see Hallams relationship with the NHLers. That is perhaps the most important thing for a coach of the national team. Grönborg had his deficiencies as a coach, but he had an excellent relationship with the NHLers, so they all came to play and he got two golds as a result

Reactions: Eye of Ra

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
You have to wonder why we wasted those years on Garpen… I know Hallam was under contract with Växjö but i’m sure they could have worked something out.

Garpenlöv was a strange choice from the beginning. He hadn't been a head coach anywhere before national team gig.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad