Behind The Scene Draft Video

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
That Newhook clip, just before going up to the stage you hear Sakic talking to Hepple.... "Is he gonna be a top 6, slam dunk?"........ "Yeah". Love it.

I'm kinda surprised by some of the conversations between Hepple and Sakic in general though. It almost sounds like Hepple is describing some of these players to Sakic for the very first time. You can tell that Sakic is leaning heavily on him to make some of these picks.

By the sounds of it Stienberg was definitely a Hepple pick as well.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
After seeing Stienburg at development camp I like the pick a little bit more. He's a strong skater with more than a little bit of skill to his game. I still think we could have gotten him in the fifth round if we really wanted him, but overall I think he has a shot.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
That Newhook clip, just before going up to the stage you hear Sakic talking to Hepple.... "Is he gonna be a top 6, slam dunk?"........ "Yeah". Love it.

I'm kinda surprised by some of the conversations between Hepple and Sakic in general though. It almost sounds like Hepple is describing some of these players to Sakic for the very first time. You can tell that Sakic is leaning heavily on him to make some of these picks.

My guess is that Sakic isn't the only GM like that. That's why teams have not just amateur scouts, but someone to oversee that entire department.

I wonder who they were deciding between on the Helleson pick though, sounds like there was someone else that they were discussing, possibly on the Newhook pick too.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Contrary to belief on this site, GMs don’t influence the draft board a lot. They are not the ones spending countless hours watching these kids play.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Contrary to belief on this site, GMs don’t influence the draft board a lot. They are not the ones spending countless hours watching these kids play.
I'm aware of that, I just figured they would have had numerous discussions throughout the season and also pre-draft to go through at least the top 100 prospects and find some players to target. It almost seemed like Sakic had never heard of some of these guys.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
My guess is that Sakic isn't the only GM like that. That's why teams have not just amateur scouts, but someone to oversee that entire department.

I wonder who they were deciding between on the Helleson pick though, sounds like there was someone else that they were discussing, possibly on the Newhook pick too.
Nah it seems to me that the Newhook pick was an easy decision for them. Sakic even mentioned the words "Slam dunk" at the draft table right before heading to the podium.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Nah it seems to me that the Newhook pick was an easy decision for them. Sakic even mentioned the words "Slam dunk" at the draft table right before heading to the podium.

If you're referring to the conversation between he and Hepple, it comes across as Sakic asking if he's going to be a slam dunk, not that he was saying he was one. Again, this is just my take on it. "Is he going to be a Top 6?" "Yeah." "Slam dunk?" "Yeah."

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
If you're referring to the conversation between he and Hepple, it comes across as Sakic asking if he's going to be a slam dunk, not that he was saying he was one. Again, this is just my take on it. "Is he going to be a Top 6?" "Yeah." "Slam dunk?" "Yeah."
What confuses me the most about that exchange is that they're seemingly talking about basketball and not hockey.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I really wish these videos were made by a 3rd party crew with no affiliation to the teams. I wanted to see Joe and Hepple's reactions when Chicago picked Dach.

Reactions: MarkT and avsfan09

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I really wish these videos were made by a 3rd party crew with no affiliation to the teams. I wanted to see Joe and Hepple's reactions when Chicago picked Dach.
These videos are neutered and heavily edited, sucks but it's better than nothing I guess.

Not that Sakic was going to go against Hepple, but it seems he was eyeing someone else at 3rd instead of Stienburg.

Reactions: MarkT and madman

HowlerHasARing

May 19, 2019

Personnaly I think it depends of the GM. There's 2 draft where I'm sure Roy influenced the players picked.

2014 : Nantel (7th round) played under Tourigny.
Pepin(4th round) Roy said he was going make him better.
2015: Gustav Olhaver (7th round)
Sergei Boikov (6th round)
Jean-Christophe Beaudin (3th round)(played with the huskies, tourigny ex-team in the Q)
Nicolas Meloche (2nd round)
A.J. Greer (2th round) (same as JC Beaudin)

Sakic to me is more of a ''I trust you with your work'' and Roy a ''Let me help you with your work''. Pretty sure if Roy was A gm in thhe nhl he would be one of the gm that influence their draft scout.

I hope Stienburg is not another mitchell heard type of pick.

Reactions: Richard88

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
These videos are neutered and heavily edited, sucks but it's better than nothing I guess.

Not that Sakic was going to go against Hepple, but it seems he was eyeing someone else at 3rd instead of Stienburg.
I didn't get that sense at all. Sakic didn't really know much about Newhook so I can't see him know who's left in the 3rd round. To me it looked like Sakic was very hands off when in comes to the draft. I thought he would be more involved but he seems fine leaving it to the scouts.

Edit: Anyone know who they were comparing to Helleson?

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

I didn't get that sense at all. Sakic didn't really know much about Newhook so I can't see him know who's left in the 3rd round. To me it looked like Sakic was very hands off when in comes to the draft. I thought he would be more involved but he seems fine leaving it to the scouts.

Edit: Anyone know who they were comparing to Helleson?

Yeah, agree with the latter post here; A GM like Sakic wouldn't know about the prospects outside a teams pick at the top of the 1st round, imo. I'd imagine GM's with a scouting background like Dorion/Kekalainen would be much more involved.

As for the 2nd round, I got the impression it was a D there, no matter what. 7 D's were picked between our 2nd and 3rd pick, but the one that stands out is Matt Robertson, imo. Played in the W, where we obviously had a very heavy scouting presence this year, with all the possible high picks (incl Newhook) and all our late picks.

Reactions: Richard88

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

Of course Sakic is relying on a scout to make the call, they're the ones who scout and know about this prospects, not Sakic

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Of course Sakic is relying on a scout to make the call, they're the ones who scout and know about this prospects, not Sakic
Yeah of course he'd lean on the scouts for most picks, but I would have thought that an NHL GM would at least be very familiar with the top 15-20 guys, particularly when the team has 2 picks in the top 20. Picks beyond that yeah it's 100% the scouts' territory as they've been watching the players as you said.

Reactions: the_fan

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah of course he'd lean on the scouts for most picks, but I would have thought that an NHL GM would at least be very familiar with the top 15-20 guys, particularly when the team has 2 picks in the top 20. Picks beyond that yeah it's 100% the scouts' territory as they've been watching the players as you said.
Sakic was sure about Byram, he seemed to be sure about Newhook too just had to make sure to ask his scout if he's projected top 6 for sure. Then later rounds I'm not surprised at all that Sakic didnt know much about those prospects

Reactions: MarkT and Richard88

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah, agree with the latter post here; A GM like Sakic wouldn't know about the prospects outside a teams pick at the top of the 1st round, imo. I'd imagine GM's with a scouting background like Dorion/Kekalainen would be much more involved.

As for the 2nd round, I got the impression it was a D there, no matter what. 7 D's were picked between our 2nd and 3rd pick, but the one that stands out is Matt Robertson, imo. Played in the W, where we obviously had a very heavy scouting presence this year, with all the possible high picks (incl Newhook) and all our late picks.
I wouldn't be surprised if the other D compared to Helleson was Kolyachonok.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
My interpretation of the "slam-dunk" comment is that he was just double-checking because he didn't expect Krebs to be available. If Krebs wasn't there Newhook was likely the obvious choice for them, but now they had another legit option. So what we heard was probably just the end of a last-minute debate about who to pick.

Also, the idea that any NHL GM wouldn't know a lot about all the players they might choose in the 1st round is laughable. If for no other reason, they'd at least know enough to answer questions about the pick, because they're going to get interviewed by the media shortly after making it.

As for the later rounds, I think it's perfectly reasonable for Sakic to rely on Hepple to make the picks. If Sakic knew enough about the potential late round picks to make intelligent choices, why does he even need Hepple?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad