OT: Beginner Hockey in Toronto

BeLeafer11

Jan 12, 2009
hockeytoronto.com run by Bruce has adult skills sessions followed by pick-up a couple times a week. Generally at Chesswood (Sheppard and Allen).

themightyquinn

Jun 10, 2007
Toronto
I don't play in the beginner level but I know the ASHL has a beginner league and you and your buddies can join a team. This league is pretty expensive but I think it'll have exactly what you're looking for.

Just choose the arena closest to you for more information on the leagues that are offered. (Scarborough, York U campus, Etobicoke, Oshawa, Oakville, etc)

http://www.adultsafehockey.net/hm/inside.php?sid=100

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Hey gang,

I picked up playing hockey 2 months ago (finally). SO I am at the beginner lever, crappy skating and all. Got a couple of guys of similar talent levels.

Any organized beginner level shinny/ league/ program besides adulthockeyclub d com??

I don't know of any leagues for you, but I just wanted to wish you good luck in learning this fantastic game! Good luck and always have fun!

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I've played at Adult Hockey Club too a couple of times and play at hockeytoronto.com games as well. You should know that those hockeytoronto games are much faster pace than the low-beginner games at AHC. The ones with skills sessions before are a bit better though, although the skills are more intermediate level.

I started this year at the True North beginner league and loved it. Its a great program and my team even stuck together to move on to E division afterwards.

Pinchy

Oct 19, 2008
If you can skate without falling over, just sign up at Ice Sports.

It's not cheap (~$500 for the fall/winter), but they have E level teams. I'd also recommend taking some adult skills classes at the same time.

I started playing a few years ago, and that's what I do.

If you can't skate at all...then figure that out first.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
A bunch of rinks have shinny sessions that are often quite under-attended so you can go there and practice your shot/stickhanding a bit.

nukethewhales

gotta nuke something
Feb 8, 2011
Toronto
True North Hockey has a great beginner program: https://www.truenorthhockey.com/pgs/registration/winter11_12/BeginnerInfo.aspx

You get some skating and skills sessions first and then some league games later in the year.

The Beginner Program is hit-or-missm so I hear. My girlfriend did the summer session and it was absolutely horrendous. The teams were beyond stacked (an E-level team signed up and basically just destroyed everoyne. They even went as far as kicking the weaker players off the team, and the coordinators didn't care) and the instructors play favourites like you wouldn't believe.

Basically, if you have breasts and don't mind flirting with a disguisting old fart (who may or may not be a convicted pedophile), you can double your ice-time and go on both sessions. If not, expect to just skate back and forth between lines for 40 minutes before being thrown into games in which you have no idea how to position yourself.

The only redeeming factor was that her team was a group of fantastic people.

The Canlan Hockey Academy was infinitely better. As opposed to just saying "skate to the blue line, now skate back", they actually showed you some technique and had drills that developed your edgework and other fundementals. You don't get the games, but it's about half the price for more actual development.

StarBurns RIP

No Agenda
Mar 17, 2009
Not a league but the other thing to consider is renting some late ice yourself. You can practice your skills and actually touch a puck a lot more when there's just a few of you on the ice. And you can control who you're on the ice with. Granted games are more fun but you'll get better faster this way.

This is a decade old experience but True North had a real beginner league whereas the ASHL's lowest league really wasn't a beginner league at all, just lower level teams populated with jackasses who were really just mediocre experienced players who want to dominate a weak league. Maybe that's what True North has become as well.

Fenton

Jul 17, 2005
Toronto
I have done True North few years ago. Everything was great, just don't think I can fork out 400 right now.

I'm not sure you will find anything in Toronto for less than that.

Hockey is expensive here. Start playing goalie, you can play for free.

You might find cheaper but usually the leagues are disorganized or the operators don't care as much. True North is expensive but it's very organized, we have never had any problems.

Hockey Toronto, as someone else mentioned, can be a decent alternative.

Fenton

Jul 17, 2005
Toronto
This is a decade old experience but True North had a real beginner league whereas the ASHL's lowest league really wasn't a beginner league at all, just lower level teams populated with jackasses who were really just mediocre experienced players who want to dominate a weak league. Maybe that's what True North has become as well.

From my experience playing goal, True North is definitely one of the weakest leagues in Toronto. I have played B & C level there which is comparable to a C or D in most other leagues.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
So I know this is a bit of a necro, but I just signed up for adult hockey club, in the Low games, going to my first game this weekend. Do I just show up? Is there some sort of registration/sign in sheet? (I already signed up on the website). How do I know who to pay?

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
ASHL is a pretty great league to get in if you have a local rink associated with them. Even for the lowest skill leagues, they keep track of leading goalscorers and update live online. It's a pretty legit league.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Not sure how many of you are Vaughaners', but don't play at Sports Village.

1. Ridiculously expensive.

2. Severely unorganized. We asked to be put in B on the signup sheet, and they put us in A for the first 5 games. Got whalloped every single game, and they wouldn't bump us down till after the 5th game.

@nightfighter --- I suggest you call and find out what team you're on. If not, go early on game day and speak to the convenor.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
Not sure how many of you are Vaughaners', but don't play at Sports Village.

1. Ridiculously expensive.

2. Severely unorganized. We asked to be put in B on the signup sheet, and they put us in A for the first 5 games. Got whalloped every single game, and they wouldn't bump us down till after the 5th game.

@nightfighter --- I suggest you call and find out what team you're on. If not, go early on game day and speak to the convenor.

Thanks I think I will call them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad