NBC Sports Boston "Before the Duckboats"

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I remember feeling really embarrassed by the whole thing.

I think all of us did.

It was sad. Sad that Ray felt he had to do that, though I understand now that he was reluctant to embarass the Bruins organization.

I'm glad he did it, though. It was a pathetic release for some of us, and though I know he didn't mean it that way, a rebuke to Bruins ownership/management at the time.

I feel badly because although they probably can't get away with the same shabby managment on display then, I see a straight line to the "management" we have today.

SweeNeely are the Stockholm Brothers, their North star, mediocrity, just getting by, a few shallow playoff runs. They are the sons of Sinden. Mark it. Book it.

Mr. Burns could care less. I wish Charlie had the reigns, though even that is 50/50. At best.

We're screwed, ladies and germs. Yes, they can plug holes and keep the ship afloat, barely. I see no incentive, or capability, beyond this.

Which means, again, I'm sorry, a veil of mediocrity which will become clearer still when Patirce, Brad, and Rask depart.

Wish I could interject, prevent.

Cannot.

Reactions: Kate08 and Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
SweeNeely are the Stockholm Brothers, their North star, mediocrity, just getting by, a few shallow playoff runs. They are the sons of Sinden. Mark it. Book it.

Mr. Burns could care less. I wish Charlie had the reigns, though even that is 50/50. At best.

We're screwed, ladies and germs. Yes, they can plug holes and keep the ship afloat, barely. I see no incentive, or capability, beyond this.

Which means, again, I'm sorry, a veil of mediocrity which will become clearer still when Patrice, Brad, and Rask depart.

Wish I could interject, prevent.

Cannot.

Agree with all of this except the highlighted:

Mr Burns Could Not care less (except for the green-backs).

Reactions: GordonHowe

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Our owner spends to the cap every year. Players are well taken care of and love the Bruins. He’s far from perfect but far from brutal.

Jacobs saved the NHL from itself.

Detroit owner Mike Ilitch was willing to lose millions a year to win a Cup and the same could be said about the Dolan's in NY and yes even MLSE in Toronto.

Jacobs was willing to break even during the regular season and fought tooth and nail for cost certainty.

But the 90's in Boston sports was not great and it was easy for the hockey fans in Boston to adopt the Avs and local media certainly did.

In 2001 a TV station in Derry, NH (Channel 50 ) carried an AHL playoff game between Lowell and Worcester with Fred Cusick and Brad Park as announcers and it was the 2nd most-watched show in the Boston market.

Reactions: McGarnagle and TCB

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Our owner spends to the cap every year. Players are well taken care of and love the Bruins. He’s far from perfect but far from brutal.

It's absolutely true that since the lockout he demanded and got, Burns has spent to the cap. Credit where due.

The culture built by Peter Chiarelli, Claude Julien, Z, Patrice, Timmy, Marchand (and let's not forget so many others: Rex, Looch, Andrew, Shawn, et.al.) is still there. To an extent. Largely because Patrice and Brad are still around.

But they will be leaving, and with them, I think, that culture.

It's sad because I don't want my Bruins to descend into Just Another Team, bereft of swagger and identity. It doesn't *have* to be that way. Whatever you think of them, the Flyers always play to their DNA.

I would rather the Bruins struggle yet maintain their core character, the character that, at their best (and often at their worst) has always defined them. I don't want them to dissolve into a faceless nonentity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad