Advice: Beer League Situation

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Long story short, our team has a really good player who is far too good for the level. Our team is an individual signup team whereas most are team signups. This level is the only level offered for IS teams. The league now wants to kick our good player out of playoffs (allowing him to finish regular season) because it's unfair. Our player has 33 points in 9 games for 2nd in league, top scorer on 1st place team has 50 in 12 games and he's allowed to continue playing on the best team.

Basically my problem with this is our good player is playing in the only division the league offered him. He is far better, but he's not even the top scorer in the league and they're now punishing him after his fees are paid and our team because they only allow the lowest level for IS teams. On top of that, the highest scorer in the league is allowed to still play on the 1st place team (we're 2nd).

So I ask in this season only (I think a complete overview of what should done going into next season is a different subject), what should be done?

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Allow him, if the other guys scoring > 3 points per game are allowed to continue.

Like you said, next season is a different story.

mistrhanky

Mar 19, 2012
I agree, the horse has left the barn. It would be one thing if you were jamming the guy on in the final couple weeks just to have him for the playoffs, but taking a guys money, letting him play regular season, and then deciding he can't play the playoffs is bush league. If the top guy in the league can still go and has equal or better stats, no reason your guy can't stay for this season.

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
I don't see how you can kick out a guy with 33 points in 9 games (3.67 ppg) while letting a guy with 50 points in 12 games (4.17 ppg) continue to play.

It's also really too late to do this. It's crappy to say "hey, you paid for a full season but you can't play in any playoff games".

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
going through a very similar situation in my league right now. we have two players that realistically should be playing up a level(what team doesnt have a couple of these guys?), they have 17G and 13G respectively but the commissioner says they are "way too good" to play in the division they are in and will be kicked out at season's end. since my team is young and considered 'too good', his idea of balancing the teams was to bring down D1/D2 players to each of the other D4 teams. as of right now, there are 10+ players in the league with more than 20 goals but for some reason he cant get over the fact that my team ( 3 games above .500) has two guys with over 13 goals. it really sucks when the guy that runs your league is a total doucher

Green Blob*

If he paid for the season then he better be allowed to play in the playoffs or they better refund every cent.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
that's a bunch of BS, and I'd bet the other tem with the leading scorer has an in with the league/rink manager

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
If the other guy stays I'd say your should too although the reasoning behind many decisions in beer league escape me.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
If the other guy gets to play and this guy already paid then he should be allowed to play as well. Next season they should both be out, though, because I can only imagine how frustrating playing against 3ppg guys is.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
a lot of people wrongly believe that playoffs are free hockey. they aren't. playoff ice is still paid for it's just that some teams get to play and others don't. he's paid his league fees therefore he should either get a refund for the remainder of the season (the #1 scorer should be gone too) or be allowed to stay.
I have been the team that lost in the championship game because the other team's ringer decided to turn it on and got all of their goals. let me tell you, it sucks!

TLow97

Aug 15, 2012
Twin Cities MN
Long story short, our team has a really good player who is far too good for the level. Our team is an individual signup team whereas most are team signups. This level is the only level offered for IS teams. The league now wants to kick our good player out of playoffs (allowing him to finish regular season) because it's unfair. Our player has 33 points in 9 games for 2nd in league, top scorer on 1st place team has 50 in 12 games and he's allowed to continue playing on the best team.

Basically my problem with this is our good player is playing in the only division the league offered him. He is far better, but he's not even the top scorer in the league and they're now punishing him after his fees are paid and our team because they only allow the lowest level for IS teams. On top of that, the highest scorer in the league is allowed to still play on the 1st place team (we're 2nd).

So I ask in this season only (I think a complete overview of what should done going into next season is a different subject), what should be done?

The league's solution defies logic. They placed him this season; they can place him elsewhere the next.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Sounds like the league management got hold of a little more beer than they should to manage their beer league...

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
a lot of people wrongly believe that playoffs are free hockey. they aren't. playoff ice is still paid for it's just that some teams get to play and others don't. he's paid his league fees therefore he should either get a refund for the remainder of the season (the #1 scorer should be gone too) or be allowed to stay.
I have been the team that lost in the championship game because the other team's ringer decided to turn it on and got all of their goals. let me tell you, it sucks!

I ran into that situation last year too. The guy kind of dogged it all year and then when the playoffs came he played at full speed and beat my team in the first and then went on to win the other rounds. It just seemed shady as hell to me and a lot of other guys in our league.

CunniJA

Mar 28, 2012
Estes Park, Colorado
I think they oughta kick out all the ringers and find a solution by helping get these guys that sign up individually onto teams where they actually belong.

However, for this season, it's a little late to be kicking dudes off. They better give him 50 bucks or whatever.

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
Make him wear the jersey of a player who can't make the play off games. There's always someone. That's actually how I get to sub, but I don't play lower divisions. He deserves to play in the playoffs. Your league is full of piss. I hate when they play favorites with people. Hopefully next season he can get on a team in a higher division and actually use his skills to their extent.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
To update this, after speaking with the league they are doing the same to the 1st ranked player as well which sort of changed things. It also is not final and they expect the other team to really cause a fuss which may result in both finishing the year out (and playoffs) anyways.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
tell him to be a team player and dust up the leading scorer on the other team since they will both be suspended he helps his team, do what you need to do to win imo. dusting a top scorer is always a good play

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
He paid, he plays.

The league is trying to cover their butts because of their own mistake. Your guy and the #1 shouldn't bear the brunt of that.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
This happened to me a few years ago. They told me I could not play for the playoffs, I told them if they decide to go this route, I expect 100% of the money I paid back. Told them I would not accept a partial refund as the playoffs are what we had been working together as a team for all summer. End result was they let me play during the playoffs and moved me up several levels the following summer.

They can't take his money and deny him the games he deserves to play. Most people only really care about the playoffs to put a cherry on top. Hope everything works out for you guys!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad