Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidRobot

Mar 30, 2009
NEW JERSEY
Typical dirty crap in last night's game. Basically a blindside headshot that would have Shanny calling this player. Closest I've ever been to jumping off the bench to join a brawl but being one of the few wearing a half shield, it's just not a fair fight. Seriously people need to take it way less serious.

ThisAintBaseball

Nov 12, 2011
Renton, WA
This has been mentioned before, but it's a favorite:

The guy that's clearly playing one level down and not holding back. Out skates, out shoots, out puck handles everyone on his team and opposition.

This is the guy that comes in fast on a clean breakaway, then fires a blistering slapshot about 20 feet from the goal. There is nobody within two sticklengths, and no traffic in front of the goalie. I've seen him do it twice. The second time he thought it went in (waved off by the ref) and does the Jesus celebration, when his team is already up 5-0. :shakehead

Same guy in front of the crease, right on the edge of the blue paint. I'm leaning on him him, pushing him out the way, tying up his stick, generally making him feel unwelcome. No shoving, cross-checking, holding. After the play the primadonna looks at me and says "Dude--what are you doing?" :rolleyes:

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
This has been mentioned before, but it's a favorite:

The guy that's clearly playing one level down and not holding back. Out skates, out shoots, out puck handles everyone on his team and opposition.

This is the guy that comes in fast on a clean breakaway, then fires a blistering slapshot about 20 feet from the goal. There is nobody within two sticklengths, and no traffic in front of the goalie. I've seen him do it twice. The second time he thought it went in (waved off by the ref) and does the Jesus celebration, when his team is already up 5-0. :shakehead

Same guy in front of the crease, right on the edge of the blue paint. I'm leaning on him him, pushing him out the way, tying up his stick, generally making him feel unwelcome. No shoving, cross-checking, holding. After the play the primadonna looks at me and says "Dude--what are you doing?" :rolleyes:

Yeah man, if you made him look soft in front of the scouts, that could really hurt his draft-stock. :shakehead

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
haha love the crease pansies. they want the beauty tip in. no need to work for it.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
We play more of a pickup skate on Sunday's, generally it's actually really good hockey. However, this is this one guy who always hooks or ****ing slashes me in the wrist when I get a good opportunity. It's frustrating...

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
This is why I hate pick up sometimes...

You have these douches who come out with their $200 customized jerseys and C's on their chest like they're captain of the Red Wings not to mention they're all decked out in top of the line gear and just waddle around the ice. They're out there for 5 min shifts doing nothing but slapping their sticks on the ice from the point demanding the puck. Sorry old man, I'm not feeding you the puck if you're not moving your feet and giving me an open lane. I also paid for pick up just like everyone else so I can work on my hands. Another guy slashed my stick and broke it because I stick lifted him and stole the puck.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

You have these douches who come out with their $200 customized jerseys and C's on their chest like they're captain of the Red Wings not to mention they're all decked out in top of the line gear and just waddle around the ice. They're out there for 5 min shifts doing nothing but slapping their sticks on the ice from the point demanding the puck. Sorry old man, I'm not feeding you the puck if you're not moving your feet and giving me an open lane. I also paid for pick up just like everyone else so I can work on my hands. Another guy slashed my stick and broke it because I stick lifted him and stole the puck.

ive actually had someone try to lecture me because i came off the bench and raced down the guy on a break away to try and stop a goal.

"you play d?"

"no"

"well just work on forward stuff"

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago

I would loose my **** if some guy slashed and broke my stick in pick up. I mean, really, WTF is wrong with some people.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
New team in our D league - so far they have won 12-0, 9-0 and 8-0. Think maybe they're playing a level down? :shakehead

We get a few teams like this every year, the best part was we finished the season 2-18 and stayed in the same division, they went 20-0 and got moved down. The league is run by a clown if you were wondering.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
#1 team in our league during the regular season. We had a bye first round, won the second round game handily, our third round game was during the middle of the day at 1 o clock on a Saturday. What a crappy time slot. We were missing 7 players including our goalie and several of the players who were our best players. We could only get 2 subs to come out so we were noticeably short.'

Other team showed up with a few more guys and their best players. They were a solid team during the regular season. We battled hard and I'm proud of the guys who were there. It was tied until the 3rd period when they pulled ahead and we ended up losing 3-1.

It simply sucks when a season goes through the fall/winter sessions and all comes to an end because a game gets scheduled in the middle of a Saturday afternoon. Of course people already have plans. Oh well such is beer league hockey I suppose.

Bad playoff scheduling? How about you play your last regular season game Saturday at 9:30PM, then after you're first playoff game gets scheduled for 5:00PM Sunday, the very next day.

Suddenly7

Jun 15, 2012
Anaheim
Another guy slashed my stick and broke it because I stick lifted him and stole the puck.

Who the hell plays pick up that hard? Usually in pick up it's more relax and everyone is really going to the motions. Meaning not playing like it's a game but more of a practice session.

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
Not so much a "beer league" game but I'll share..While it happened in favor of my team I can only imagine the frustration the other team was going through this past Monday night in the regional championship game..

My team had jumped out to a 1-0 lead 2 min into the first, score stayed that way until about 2:30 to go in the game when they tied it and took the lead in a 45 second span..We came back and tied the game on a PP, after we scored one of their defenseman absolutely levels one of our guys taking another penalty. On the ensuing PP we score with 1:09 left in the game to take a 3-2 lead and eventually won the game 4-2.

What's the frustration there? Guys who can't keep composure in big games.

Jive Time

Jul 24, 2009
Who the hell plays pick up that hard? Usually in pick up it's more relax and everyone is really going to the motions. Meaning not playing like it's a game but more of a practice session.

Lot's of people but come at it from a different angle. For a new player who only plays pickup, some of them are giving it everything they have.

A couple years back I was playing an intermediate / beginner level pickup and I poke the puck around this guy. He spins and tomahawks my stick. I think all he was trying to do was stop me from picking it up on the other side but he chopped it clean in half. I just don't think some of the newer players have a governor when it comes to control.

Now on the other side of that, I play a higher level of pickup these days and there's one regular who beats the crap out of my sticks with the slashes. This guy plays better that I ever will but clearly that's part of his game no matter what.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
For a goalie, it's hard *not* to play pick-up that hard - it's all about staying sharp. If you screw around in pick-up, it's hard to pull it together for the real games.

Also a reason why I don't play a lot of pick-up.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
Another guy slashed my stick and broke it because I stick lifted him and stole the puck.

I'll never understand why people get so angry about stick lifts but it happens to me all the time too. I love sneaking up behind a guy and lifting his stick, but sometimes they'll lose it when you do that. I think for some newer guys they don't realize that is completely legal. Far better IMO than slashing the puck carrier, which is probably what they do.

As some others have mentioned I don't why people play so aggressive in pickup/rat. I think if you want to go all out and skate hard then go for it, but when you are being so aggressive that you risk hurting people that is when I start to get pissed. Normally if a a guy 2 hand slashes, trips, or pushes me into the boards during a rat I'll yells something along the lines of, "Congrats man you won the rat." That usually really confuses them.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I am 5`9 180lbs and well built player. I am pretty muscular and have strength, and a player a few inches shorter than me tries to beat me to a puck near the boards in the upper B league game . I beat him to the puck and make a quick pass, but I stand my ground to brace for him coming at me. The player runs into me with his shoulder lowered and falls down hard. He doesn't have the same strength on skates as me and hits my shoulder and falls down. He pops he shoulder out of place or broke the collarbone and is in pain on the ice. I ask the guy if he is okay, our captain calls a timeout showing sportsmanship. One of his teammate and a terrible player jumps on me trying to fight me calling me a p***y. There was no penalty on the play because I didn't do anything to him but stand my ground and got the puck before him. I feel bad for the guy, but I am not going to get into a fight and get suspended against the worse team in the league because the player can't stop. I didn't mean to hurt the guy and told their captain to tell him I hope he is okay. Their team is clearly the worse team in the league and we are a lock for the playoffs. I really wanted to beat the **** out of the guy who tried to jump me, but it is beer league and their own players fault. Lets face it if you play beer league the odds are that you have to work for a living and fighting in not part of rec hockey. The ref talked to me laughing about the TOUGH Guy and was like thank god you didn't go after he he can't skate so I doubt he can fight. Why would someone try to pick a fight in beer league because their players can't skate and are playing over their skill level.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Can't stand other teams and can't stand teammates some times... Two things that had me pretty pissed:

1 - Early in the game, we only had 1 ref, he was at the blue line, and we had a shot that went five hole, hit the far post, and came right out. I was in the corner on the goalline and I had the best view, it clearly didn't go in. The ref calls it a goal, everybody on their team gets pissed. I, being an honest player, tell the ref that it didn't go in. After all, it's men's league hockey, does the score really matter anyway? Well of course, a few minutes later, I was dragging my foot to stay onside, I know I was onside for the play. The ref wasn't even going to call it, but the other team is yelling offsides, and the ref blows the whistle. I was talking to my teammates after the game and they were all telling me I was on and that the ref wasn't going to call it until the other team complained... I gave up a goal in good sportsmanship and honesty, they yelled about a non-offside call and got the call in their favor. I still can't help but find it funny that I am one of the youngest players in the league, but seem to be the most mature during the games...

Also, regarding my teammate, a couple people were talking after the game about a goal with 30 seconds left that we scored to make the score 7-5. I don't know if people on the other team were arguing about it but frankly, I wouldn't be surprised. It didn't matter anyway and I said in the locker room that the game was already over anyway so it doesn't matter. Then one guy who I swear has suffered some major brain damage at some point in his life said, "Well it affects your stats." The league doesn't keep track of stats and I just laughed and said, "Who keeps track of stats?" "Oh, well I do! It's all about individual effort." Holy ****, I wanted to punch him in the mouth... I asked him "Answer me this, how do you think the Sedins feel with Art Rosses but no Stanley Cup?" And he just stays quiet the rest of the time in the locker room. I hope I finally got through to him but I'm willing to put everything that I own on the fact that I didn't...

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Really frustrated with this plug on my team. My league has 9 different divisions, with D1 being the best. We play in 4. I swear this guy wouldn't even be a good player 2-3 divisions below us. Weak skater, can't control the puck well, throws passes ahead of every body...just not good at anything except playing the body because he's like 6'3 250 or something.

Every game is competitive with our team, we're 4-3 and have only have a +3 goal differential. And he's causing us at least 1 goal against per game. Last game ****ed up an easy dump in by throwing it into the wingers shin guards, allowing a break away, which led to them tying the game with like 2 mins to go. And we lost.

I wouldn't even care too much, but the guy doesn't realize he sucks. He jumps ahead of guys for shifts on the PP and such. ****ing terrible.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I'll never understand why people get so angry about stick lifts but it happens to me all the time too. I love sneaking up behind a guy and lifting his stick, but sometimes they'll lose it when you do that. I think for some newer guys they don't realize that is completely legal. Far better IMO than slashing the puck carrier, which is probably what they do.

As some others have mentioned I don't why people play so aggressive in pickup/rat. I think if you want to go all out and skate hard then go for it, but when you are being so aggressive that you risk hurting people that is when I start to get pissed. Normally if a a guy 2 hand slashes, trips, or pushes me into the boards during a rat I'll yells something along the lines of, "Congrats man you won the rat." That usually really confuses them.

I'm one of those guys that uses pickup as a workout. I think what most of these offenders fail to realize is the difference between skating hard and playing aggressive. I LOVE to skate all over the place and have no problem keeping my legs moving and will skate up and down the ice with the puck if no one else wants to. HOWEVER, this does not mean you have to play physical or aggressive in order to skate hard.

JoeyB

Mar 8, 2013
I'm one of those guys that uses pickup as a workout. I think what most of these offenders fail to realize is the difference between skating hard and playing aggressive. I LOVE to skate all over the place and have no problem keeping my legs moving and will skate up and down the ice with the puck if no one else wants to. HOWEVER, this does not mean you have to play physical or aggressive in order to skate hard.

As a beginner player, sometimes I do this accidentally :(

I'm trying to skate hard and push myself, as I don't have a league team so pick up is my end all, and I don't mean to get physical but sometimes I bump someone or get my stick stuck where it doesn't belong. I always apologize and I'm getting better at preventing accidents, but they happen and sometimes I can tell the other guy is pretty jerked off. I feel bad but what can I really do besides keep practicing and try not to make the same mistake?

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
For a goalie, it's hard *not* to play pick-up that hard - it's all about staying sharp. If you screw around in pick-up, it's hard to pull it together for the real games.

It's also a good way to get yourself seriously hurt.

We're well protected for the most part, but the one shot you try to screw around on is the one shot that catches you off guard and tags you in a dangerous/unprotected area.....or you tweak a muscle or ligament or something.

It's part of why I rarely play pick-up and have straight up walked out if people are just going to goof off and putz around working on their spin-o-ramas or rip headhunting slapshots from 20 feet out.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
As a beginner player, sometimes I do this accidentally :(

I'm trying to skate hard and push myself, as I don't have a league team so pick up is my end all, and I don't mean to get physical but sometimes I bump someone or get my stick stuck where it doesn't belong. I always apologize and I'm getting better at preventing accidents, but they happen and sometimes I can tell the other guy is pretty jerked off. I feel bad but what can I really do besides keep practicing and try not to make the same mistake?

Honestly, if you just communicate with the guy it should be fine.

If I'm skating as a forward might be a little perturbed at a guy doing a little too much physical play, but if you apologize sincerely and calmly explain what you wrote above, most guys (except for the biggest toolbags) will probably let it go.

Just don't make too much of a habit of it. I know you're trying to improve, but once you've had to apologize to more than one person in a session, you should probably dial it back for the rest of that session.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego

I'd much rather having a goalie play hard then not hard. I like it when goalies don't give up and every once in a while make a crazy save.

I'd rather get stopped by a good save than score on a poor effort, in pick up at least

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad