Oct 21, 2006
Ontario, Canada
f8Z7ShK.png

Just behind Crosby who has 17!

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Take away the opening game and in spite of the injuries...this has been a very solid start to this season for this team and the new skipper has taken to his role.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Hank is playing at a different level this year than he has the last 2-3 seasons. Hopefully he can keep it going.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Take away the opening game and in spite of the injuries...this has been a very solid start to this season for this team and the new skipper has taken to his role.

The Calgary and Columbus losses were awful too. I'll sort of give them a pass for Columbus since it was a back to back and on the road but the Calgary loss at home was disgraceful.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
He's been real good. The 5 pt game will do that to the stat sheet. That's essentially 2-3 great games worth of points.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Give Datsyuk someone besides Cleary and he jumps to Z's spot no problem.
disagree

i have not seen every game, but i don't think datsyuk has been as aggressive as he should be. maybe his knee is still a problem, but he has not been attacking with speed much.

RedWingsNow*

disagree

i have not seen every game, but i don't think datsyuk has been as aggressive as he should be. maybe his knee is still a problem, but he has not been attacking with speed much.

At times, that's been true.
But today, for instance, he was going full speed.

The problem with Babcock's top 6 is that one line has 3 guys who shoot the puck.
The other has two guys who don't like to shoot and another guy who has no business in a top 6.

I wish it was Flip Datsyuk Hudler or Flip Datsyuk Tatar or Flip Datsyuk Nyquist.

The other issue is that Flip isn't skating very well. I don't know what's up with his knee, but he's not giving us that typical Flip skating.

Right now, the easy thing to do would be:
a) Dump cleary to the bottom six for Tatar
Flip Datsyuk Tatar
or b)
Switch Brunner for Cleary
Flip Datsyuk Brunner
Franzen Z Cleary

But what I fear is, when Sammy is healthy:

Flip Datsyuk Sammy

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
At times, that's been true.
But today, for instance, he was going full speed.

The problem with Babcock's top 6 is that one line has 3 guys who shoot the puck.
The other has two guys who don't like to shoot and another guy who has no business in a top 6.

I wish it was Flip Datsyuk Hudler or Flip Datsyuk Tatar or Flip Datsyuk Nyquist.

The other issue is that Flip isn't skating very well. I don't know what's up with his knee, but he's not giving us that typical Flip skating.

Right now, the easy thing to do would be:
a) Dump cleary to the bottom six for Tatar
Flip Datsyuk Tatar
or b)
Switch Brunner for Cleary
Flip Datsyuk Brunner
Franzen Z Cleary

But what I fear is, when Sammy is healthy:

Flip Datsyuk Sammy

Agree with most of this.

First off, ugh... I have the same Sammy fears. Don't want him anywhere near Datsyuk.

Second, I've definitely noticed Filppula. I have to imagine the knee is still bothering him, because he doesn't look the same. His skating is not as strong and neither is his puck protection. I really do think he's a good winger for Datsyuk, but until he's 100% we won't see the true benefits of it.

After watching Tatar with a couple of chances I was hoping Babs would switch him and Cleary. The interesting thing to me is that Babcock trusts Andersson more than Tatar. During the 2nd half of the 3rd period he shortened his bench by using more Miller and Andersson and keeping Tatar and Emmerton off the ice.

RedWingsNow*

Agree with most of this.

First off, ugh... I have the same Sammy fears. Don't want him anywhere near Datsyuk.

Second, I've definitely noticed Filppula. I have to imagine the knee is still bothering him, because he doesn't look the same. His skating is not as strong and neither is his puck protection. I really do think he's a good winger for Datsyuk, but until he's 100% we won't see the true benefits of it.

After watching Tatar with a couple of chances I was hoping Babs would switch him and Cleary. The interesting thing to me is that Babcock trusts Andersson more than Tatar. During the 2nd half of the 3rd period he shortened his bench by using more Miller and Andersson and keeping Tatar and Emmerton off the ice.

And Drew Miller -- wow, was he ever awful in the last 5 minutes of the game.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
should have signed Semin, Russian winger Dats has been wanting for years and even if he is only floating he would put be 1000X better than cleary and 3-10X better that Bertuzzi. if he sucks fine it would have been a 1 year deal

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
I think Z needs Brunner's skating on his wing. That guy's speed is a big plus for that line.

Word. I wouldnt move B off Z's wing so soon. Hes new to north america, playing well enough, and most importantly, scoring at a good rate.

Why throw away that chemistry? Why take him out of a positive situation and put more pressure on him?

If it aint broke....then lets get drunk and watch it score goals!

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
And Drew Miller -- wow, was he ever awful in the last 5 minutes of the game.

In the sequence just prior to LA tying it up, Miller managed to keep the puck in our own zone like 3 times. I was so upset, but at the same time I couldn't help but laugh. He definitely doesn't have Datsyuk's ability to take a pass off the skate.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
My thinking on why Hank is having a good season:

1) The "rest" from the lockout. Was he playing games? Yes. Was he playing physical North American hockey, going up against the likes of Shea Weber, Barrett Jackman, Roman Polak, Brent Seabrook, etc? No. From the start of the season, his body was in game shape, but without the wear and tear.

2) He finally has a linemate who is a legit sharp-shooter in Damien Brunner. Hank is not a 30-40 goal scorer anymore; hes a 20-25 goal scorer. He is benefitting immensely from playing on a line with a guy who isn't afraid to shoot the puck and is actually accurate when he does shoot. It would be a crime to break these two guys up for an extended period of time.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Word. I wouldnt move B off Z's wing so soon. Hes new to north america, playing well enough, and most importantly, scoring at a good rate.

Why throw away that chemistry? Why take him out of a positive situation and put more pressure on him?

If it aint broke....then lets get drunk and watch it score goals!

No doubt that there's chemistry between Z and Nose. But Z is going to work hard and create plays for whoever is on his wing. Brunner seems to me like a guy who understands where to go to find the soft spots in the defensive coverage, when to drive the net, and doesn't need any prompting to shoot the puck.

Put a finisher like the Nose on Datsyuk's wing, bump Cleary out of the top 6 and replace him with either Tatar or call up Gus (don't care which), and then each line has a shooting winger.

Don't get me wrong- I'll still be slamming the appletini's like a champ whether or not Babs made that move! ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad