GDT: Bedard Bowl Part 3 - Ducks at CBJ. 1/19/23

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Fell asleep when the Jackets were up 3...pleasantly surprised to see they came to their senses.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think Elvis has improved a lot already, he's not at a level where he needs to be yet, but he's cleaned up his game and is not looking completely lost out there anymore, at least not as often :)

I don't think there's really another choice at this point than to hope he gets his game back.

I would loan him back to a club in Switzerland for a year. Just give him a chance to get his game back away from the pressure of the NHL. Burn another year of his contract. Then bring him back the following year and see where he is at.

Reactions: I3LI3

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I would loan him back to a club in Switzerland for a year. Just give him a chance to get his game back away from the pressure of the NHL. Burn another year of his contract. Then bring him back the following year and see where he is at.
Elvis has M-NTC. That means we can't send him to the AHL/Europe without his consent, and he also has 10 teams that he can't be traded to without his consent. And since he has a big contract, if we doesn't take a part, I doubt he'll be traded. And even if he could still be traded, he is a fan favorite for various reasons.

Reactions: Fro

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Elvis has M-NTC. That means we can't send him to the AHL/Europe without his consent, and he also has 10 teams that he can't be traded to without his consent. And since he has a big contract, if we doesn't take a part, I doubt he'll be traded. And even if he could still be traded, he is a fan favorite for various reasons.
Its a No Trade cause, not a No Movement clause. It only applies to trades.

If we somehow end up actually winning the draft lottery this year for once in my life, we'll look back on this game as the time the tides turned and we embraced our destiny.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Elvis has M-NTC. That means we can't send him to the AHL/Europe without his consent,

Its a No Trade cause, not a No Movement clause. It only applies to trades.

We could waive him and send him to Cleveland if nobody claims him. I believe we can also loan him to another team. We still would be on the hook for his salary and most or all of his cap hit. (I think we would get some relief if he was in Cleveland, like $1 million.) Loaning him to a team in Switzerland would be with his consent, but it might be with the alternative of being waived and sent to the AHL.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
If we think about sending Elvis to Europe, we could also consider sending him to Latvia to play in their top team HK Zemgale, which is playing Finnish Mestis (2nd highest level, it's not too bad). I have no idea how much family ties he has in Latvia but if we use the theme of 2022 and playing closer to home, maybe it could help (although being so close to the Russian border might not be very good mentally - yeah not sure if this is such a good idea after all). And either way hockey wise I guess he has much deeper roots in Switzerland.

• Haha
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
1674226025677.png

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Mohli by sme sa ho vzdať a poslať ho do Clevelandu, ak si ho nikto nenárokuje. Verím, že ho môžeme požičať aj inému tímu. Stále by sme boli na háku kvôli jeho platu a väčšina alebo celá jeho čiapka trafila. (Myslím si, že by sme dostali nejakú úľavu, keby bol v Clevelande, napríklad 1 milión dolárov.) Požičať ho tímu vo Švajčiarsku by bolo s jeho súhlasom, ale mohlo by to byť s alternatívou, že by bol odpustený a poslaný do AHL.
My mistake,M in this doesn't mea he can't be send to AHL

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Honestly , I’m not worried about Elvis . He’s an emotional guy, and the Defense in front of him is an absolute tire fire . He’s been playing better of late .. honestly that’s a worry for another time . Let’s assemble a remotely competent defense and if the same results , then we can panic . Team is dis functional , and he’s emotional .

Tells you all you need to know about last night

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Honestly , I’m not worried about Elvis . He’s an emotional guy, and the Defense in front of him is an absolute tire fire . He’s been playing better of late .. honestly that’s a worry for another time . Let’s assemble a remotely competent defense and if the same results , then we can panic . Team is dis functional , and he’s emotional .

We have young Tarasov and Korpi who are better than Elvis. If Merzlikins, Nyquist would traded and Voracek wouldn't play, it would be about $19.150.000 under cap space. Although I would like to return Gus after the season back. Of course, if he's traded.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

And there is no way that contract is going anywhere for at least another year so we might as well focus on fixing the defense and hope next year is better. Werenski and Bean aren't any better defensively. they just need a major overhaul of players.

That goal chart also tells me we have a bunch of soft perimeter players on offense who don't go do the dirty work near the crease too.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017

But the other 2 goalies have better numbers behind the same tire fire defense and lame offense. Elvis needs to straghten out what is going on between his ears because he isn't playing well.

Reactions: DJA and VT

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
We could waive him and send him to Cleveland if nobody claims him. I believe we can also loan him to another team. We still would be on the hook for his salary and most or all of his cap hit. (I think we would get some relief if he was in Cleveland, like $1 million.) Loaning him to a team in Switzerland would be with his consent, but it might be with the alternative of being waived and sent to the AHL.

Pretty sure he was completely against playing in the AHL when he 1st came over, and that was part of the reason why some of the players had an issue with him to start. He’s always thought he was better than he actually was. Being the “best” Latvian goalie was good from a developmental standpoint regarding getting playing time/starts in international play, but, all the “hype” he got from that, along with playing/starting in Switzerland as a young goalie, all went to his head and overall has been a huge detriment to his overall growth as a goalie.

He sucks. AND HE ALWAYS HAS!! Again, playing in the NHL and against the best players in the world is completely different than the NLA or World Championships. Elvis, and unfortunately Jarmo and many fans around here, BOUGHT into the hype, and here we are. And yes, I told you so.

Laine also.

“Hater”, whatever you wanna call me, I don’t care. We don’t win a playoff series with either Laine or Merzlikins on the ice.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
You obviously do care, you bring it up all the time

Once again, opinions are not facts, open yourself up to an actual discussion instead of trying to play "I win"

What I don’t care about anymore is being called a “hater”. Any time I’ve ever attempted to have an actual discussion on either guy, it’s dismissed and I get called a “hater” and people come up with whatever CUSTOM “fact” or “ stat” they can come up with to “prove” how my opinions are apparently wrong.

Now what do the numbers and facts say about Elvis?? He’s not some changed goalie like some like to portray. People were talking Vezina’s and Hasek, and it was and is laughable.

The entire Laine thing is an entire separate problem. Finnish fanboys and “elite offense” fanboys are simply ignorant to what he is as a player.

Again, opinion, fact, I don’t care anymore what you want to call it. Sickening what both Laine and Merzlikins get paid and what this team has turned into.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
What I don’t care about anymore is being called a “hater”. Any time I’ve ever attempted to have an actual discussion on either guy, it’s dismissed and I get called a “hater” and people come up with whatever CUSTOM “fact” or “ stat” they can come up with to “prove” how my opinions are apparently wrong.

Now what do the numbers and facts say about Elvis?? He’s not some changed goalie like some like to portray. People were talking Vezina’s and Hasek, and it was and is laughable.

The entire Laine thing is an entire separate problem. Finnish fanboys and “elite offense” fanboys are simply ignorant to what he is as a player.

Again, opinion, fact, I don’t care anymore what you want to call it. Sickening what both Laine and Merzlikins get paid and what this team has turned into.
To Laine. There were stats, discussion where the reasons why you're wrong. Of course according to your opponents. Your problem is that you only see what you want to see. Sure, he's not perfect, but who is?

To Elvis. How Vezina? According to play he is the third goalie. Tarasov > Korpisalo > Merzlikins. Except Elvis's contract and position are such that he'll be number 1 even if hoes were falling from sky.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
But the other 2 goalies have better numbers behind the same tire fire defense and lame offense. Elvis needs to straghten out what is going on between his ears because he isn't playing well.
I would imagine what’s going on between his ears has to do with the fact he tragically watched his best friend killed in front of him , tried to put a strong face in public , and carry on . Texier didn’t have the exact situation but felt he needed to be away , and has been away from the team for what will be a year and a half . Elvis has tried to soldier thru , on a terrible defensive team . So , as I said , Elvis is the least of my concerns right now . This team is brutally bad defensively , and like 2nd to last in goal scoring . If it’s same situation next season , I’ll start to worry about his contract . In the mean time , I hope he gets some help, as he’s a highly emotional person .

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
A good effort anyway. Still hopeful for at least one more win this season and it might come soon against San Jose.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00