Beck and Bourque

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I don't get the distaste for either of these guys. They bust their tails on the ice. They play hard every shift. They chip in offensively here and there for fourth line guys. They play physical. Beck is hard on the puck. Bourque throws his body around and actually connects. People will say they're on the outside looking in. I think when they got thrown on the fourth line with Gaustad, that line finally did something and Goose actually played well with those two as his wingers. It was an effective fourth line. Then I see people putting Nystom's name in the lineup ahead of these guys and I go, why, he's useless. He may be a good locker room guy but we have enough of those, we need guys on the ice that can play. I don't get the love for Nystrom while Beck and Bourque are the lepers of this team. They don't complain. They take their shifts. They play hard. What more do people want from fourth line guys?

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I think some of it is that after our 1s, the talent drop off gets fairly steep compared to other teams. By the time you get to our fourth line, it gets downright ugly. Of course, we are playing in the toughest conference, so when we compare our team to those we see the most, we really notice the talent drop off. That's my thinking anyway. One of them? ok. But both? Nah..we should try to do better.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Don't disagree on the 2nd line, they are ok. Maybe a degree below the better teams, but the drop off starts getting exponential in my view. Certainly we can have one of those two on the fourth line. But both is too much meh.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I really like Bourque and hope he stays.
Beck has size but I would get over him if he is gone.

I just think it's too much of what we have seen for so long. Sure they skate hard and play with toughness but I'd rather have a guy on my 4th line that is 6'1+ that is going to drop gloves and drop hits but still have offensive prowess somewhat.

Tom Wilson for the Caps is a guy I'd absolutely love to have. Can score, hit, fight, pass, and produce. He's great at what he does and for that they reward him by playing him with Ovie. I'm not saying trade for him I'm just saying that's the prototype I'd wish we could find.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
At this point, there are better players still available in free agency, so I doubt they get traded in the next day or two.

I know but my point was that what team even needs these type of players? Every organization has these kind of players or prospecta that they want to give an opportunity. And they certainly don't want to give away from the future for Beck or Bourque. I highly doubt that we get them traded. I think we should've packed them with Hellberg.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Then why were the given QO's?

Insurance

Moses gets here and isn't that good. Fiala has a bad camp and we send him back down. Nystrom doesn't fully recover for the injury or has lost even more and we need to get rid of him. Someone goes down with an injury.

Secondarily you will have a couple of them on back up anyways. In that slot guys like Beck and Borque aren't that bad to have around. You know what you will get when you plug them in and you don't have someone up from Milwaukee just sitting.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Depth and flexibility are good things at this point in the year. Who knows which players shine at camp. It's 90 days until the season, plenty of time for some freak injury as training ramps up (see Fisher last year). By qualifying them we keep their rights which gives Poile more time to see if he can get something for them and leaves the option of trying to sneak them through to Milwaukee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad