Beau Bennett: The Forgotten Man

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Our wing situation (guys ahead of him based on merit, tenure, etc.) will likely dictate that Bennett starts on the 4th line, but the kid has quality scoring line skills.

If he can stay healthy, do you feel he can still be a scoring line player for us at some point, or will our quality depth and veteran deference dictate that he won't get his shot here?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
He's not forgotten, he's just not good enough to really beat anyone out above him. The positive side is that he's actually got quality guys to play with and hopefully build a strong season off in the bottom six this year. Instead of guys like Goc, Lapierre, Glass, Adams, etc., now he gets to play with Fehr, Bonino, Dupuis, etc.

This is for sure his make or break year as a Penguin, and likely as an NHLer. Hopefully he'll be given a shot on the third line, and he can stay healthy. I don't think he'll ever be a top six guy, but I do think he can and will be an effective 3rd liner if he can manage to stay healthy and the coaching staff gives him enough slack to develop properly and play through inevitable bad games.

Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Well he was one of the best players at camp last year before Sill derped him. I think he knows this year is pretty much make or break for him, and I assume he treated the offseason as such (once he was recovered enough to do so).

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I can see him being traded for defensive help by the deadline.

I just don't have much faith that he can stay on the ice for any length of time to be an asset to the team. I would really like to see him prove me wrong and we've seen glimpses of him being a solid player but not enough of it.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I don't think Bennett is as good as a LW; he's a much better RW. Unfortunately that limits his opportunities now.

Hopefully in the offseason he's healed, worked on his skating, and figured out how to play LW as well as RW.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I hope to see him stay healthy and get consistent minutes. The challenge for him is lack of PP time. Before, he was a lock for the 2nd unit. I'm not so sure anymore. Right now you have One of Letang/Pouliot, Maatta, Perron, Kunitz/Fehr/Plots as net front, Bonino. Where does Bennett slide in?

If he could learn to play LW, he COULD theoretically make Perron expendable (that is if both he and Plots prove to be top 6 left wings which is pretty unlikely).

My expectation for him is to put up 25-30 points in a depth role if healthy and prove he can be a valuable playmaker on a 3rd line.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If he stays healthy I think he could be a top 6 winger, but he won't be able to displace Kessel or Hornqvist and isn't good enough on the LW. So depth will stop that from happening, at least for the foreseeable future. He'll probably end up being the forward version of Despres where what he does won't matter so he'll be traded. Hopefully it will be for a better return.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
If he can stay healthy he becomes an important part of our depth for at least the next season. He has the tools to be a very good middle of the line-up guy and we could use him when other injuries occur / in the playoffs if our season goes as long as it seems it might.

Having guys like Beau, Bonino, Kunitz, Dupuis, Fehr, etc all through the middle of the line-up is going to be a key factor. Who is up for it will come out in the wash.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
this will be a big season for beau, and there's really no point fussing about where he is in the lineup at this point. no matter what, he's going to have some good linemates to play with. no adams and lapierres and gocs and sutters shackled to him and killing what he generates. he'll have taken some steps forward this summer since he'll finally be mostly healthy for one. maybe he'll lose some knee braces. a 4th line of kunitz-bonino-bennett should generate serious offense, and as impossible a feat as it may be could shut up some of his detractors at least for a bit

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
just the loss of the knee braces will improve his skating. imo and I'm sure he has the skill....what I'm not sure of, is how a playmaking wing is going to fit. I've had enough of speculation. I can't wait for the season to start, so a lot of questions will be answered.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
just the loss of the knee braces will improve his skating. imo and I'm sure he has the skill....what I'm not sure of, is how a playmaking wing is going to fit. I've had enough of speculation. I can't wait for the season to start, so a lot of questions will be answered.

considering we only have one, i think we'll find a fit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If he can stay healthy he becomes an important part of our depth for at least the next season. He has the tools to be a very good middle of the line-up guy and we could use him when other injuries occur / in the playoffs if our season goes as long as it seems it might.

Having guys like Beau, Bonino, Kunitz, Dupuis, Fehr, etc all through the middle of the line-up is going to be a key factor. Who is up for it will come out in the wash.

I think that's going to be key. With Kessel, Horny, and Dupuis ahead of Bennett on the depth chart, he's probably not going to see 3rd line time unless there's an injury. If and when there is, he's going to have to make the most of it if he's going to have a role here beyond this year...

...provided he's not the one who's injured.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
When he had healthy knees(sans braces), he was one of our best forechecking forwards.
Fingers crossed, this is a statement year for him.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I think that's going to be key. With Kessel, Horny, and Dupuis ahead of Bennett on the depth chart, he's probably not going to see 3rd line time unless there's an injury. If and when there is, he's going to have to make the most of it if he's going to have a role here beyond this year...

...provided he's not the one who's injured.

We have two players right now that don't fit the traditional defensive/matchup 3rd liner role, Bonino and Bennett. Neither should be used as a defensive forward, but both have nifty hands, and Bonino can really rip the puck. Both can possess the puck reasonably well as long as they're not expected to take the puck from the D to the O zone all the time.

If he's used as part of a line 3b that gets a lot of O zone and N zone starts against 3rd pairings and lesser forwards, that tandem should put up respectable point totals while playing between traditional 3rd and 4th liner minutes (11-12 minutes ES TOI a night?).

Can we reasonably expect anything more from BB now?

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I hope he gets a shot at RW with Bonino to start the year And a shot to fill in for horny or Phil if they miss time. He could have a role on the 4th line with Cullen/Fehr and another winger too. He could still be quite affordable if he can establish himself as a full time NHLer in any capacity. The cap is going to have a big say in any moves we make for the foreseeable future.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Best case: he outproduces other players and moves up the lineup
Worst case: he creates scoring chances on the fourth line

Can't complain about either scenario.

CrosbytoKessel

Jan 8, 2015
If you have time watch Beau's shifts in this game. Shows the kind of player he could be. He was the best player in this game.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
I can see Bennett and Sundqvist meshing well. Sundqvist had good chemistry with Arvidsson over in Sweden and I think him and Bennett are similar players.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
don't bother watching it you already remember that game, beau plays 10 great minutes picks up a point and in the end gets zero reward for it. no pp time or even a look higher in the lineup

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I can see Bennett and Sundqvist meshing well. Sundqvist had good chemistry with Arvidsson over in Sweden and I think him and Bennett are similar players.

Good to know.

I hope he was working hard on leg strength.

Not forgotten, just hope he gets past the injury bug.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think Bennetts ticket is already punched like Despres. He'll be a throw in on a deal during the season.

Yeah. I'm leaning towards this. And if that's the case, at least he has better players on his line this season to increase his value.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What I'd really like is for the team to put him in the best possible position for him to succeed. Enough of this playing him on his off-wing, or playing him with grinders and expecting him to be Matt Cooke V.2. Play him on the RW, play him with some talent, and let's see what we've got in him.

At least that way we would know what he's capable of. If he crashes and burns even when he's in a situation that he should succeed in, then they can move on from him. But for too long, it's like the club is expecting a top six skilled winger play from him, but plays him like he's Craig Adams or Tanner Glass.

I personally don't think we'll ever see the best Bennett can be in Pittsburgh. This organization just doesn't seem to want to put him in an ideal situation for him to succeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00