Confirmed with Link: Beau Bennett signs 1 year deal

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Don't know why we didn't just qualify him for 300K more but whatever, we have him.

If he's good it's a great trade and deal if not oh well. 3rd round picks don't usually succeed anyway.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LOL nice troll job Ray.

I bet all these guys were signed before noon.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
QO would have been 880K (800K + 10% raise), so they saved 155K). The odd thing was that DSP and Merrill got paid more than their QOs, so I'm a little confused on that. But either way, everybody's back.

I think it was more to get them eligible for the expansion draft re: Merrill/DSP signing two-year deals. In this deal I guess it was just about saving pennies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So is he an RFA at end of year, or UFA given no qo?

Must say In light of the Hall deal, and Lovejoy signing I like this deal a lot more. Gives us a now RW option, without having to spend a bunch of $$$.

I mean I don't have much confidence he can stay healthy, but if he does, I think that's another step to being a playoff team.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I mean this could either be this year's Stemp. Or this year's Tlusty.

Maybe he won't be this year's Stemp, but I think he'll be much better than Tlusty.

Maybe his games played will be closer to Tlusty's last year, but Tlusty was terrible at offense last year. He produced at a clip lower than everyone on our 3rd line, that's how bad he was. He did play much fewer games than most of them, but he still played 30 and only scored 4 points. And both goals he scored were complete flukes. One own goal from someone on Winnipeg on opening night, which was our first goal of the season. He got credit for it because he was the last Devil to touch it. Then one that was the perfect assist off the backboards. I'd be shocked if his NHL career continues. Maybe he can stay afloat in Minnesota if he's reunited with Staal. He's fallen off since they were seperated.

I'm worried about his ability to stay healthy and on the ice, but he could flourish here in a bigger role than he ever got there in Pittsburgh.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
So is he an RFA at end of year, or UFA given no qo?

Must say In light of the Hall deal, and Lovejoy signing I like this deal a lot more. Gives us a now RW option, without having to spend a bunch of $$$.

I mean I don't have much confidence he can stay healthy, but if he does, I think that's another step to being a playoff team.

I was wondering the same thing on his contract status. Generalfanager shows that he will still be a RFA for us.

Drink your milk and show us what you can do Beau. A HEALTHIER contract is waiting for you next year.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I got a feeling this will turn out to be something special. He has the potential to be 20+ goal scorer and he has playmaking ability. Lets Keep racking up former first round picks. Devils draft the past years....who cares we will just take other teams untapped first rounder players.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
This could be the critical deal this offseason. A healthy Bennett means we're set in the top 6 for wingers. An injured Bennett means DSP is back and that's not great. I think DSP is hardworking and somewhat skilled enough to score maybe 30-35 but Bennett has far more potential.

He has terrific "advanced stats". His points/60 is nearly identical to Gabrovski, Ladd, Marleau, Namestnikov. If he plays top 6 minutes there's no reason to think he can't put up 40-45 points. All the skill is there. It's a question of health.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
This could be the critical deal this offseason. A healthy Bennett means we're set in the top 6 for wingers. An injured Bennett means DSP is back and that's not great. I think DSP is hardworking and somewhat skilled enough to score maybe 30-35 but Bennett has far more potential.

He has terrific "advanced stats". His points/60 is nearly identical to Gabrovski, Ladd, Marleau, Namestnikov. If he plays top 6 minutes there's no reason to think he can't put up 40-45 points. All the skill is there. It's a question of health.

I like Bennett on the top line as of now but I'm actually curious how DSP would fit there with Hall and Henrique being a garbage man.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad