Beginners: Beating the Trap...in Novice League Hockey

Razzmatazz

Feb 2, 2010
Disclaimer: If your advice is strictly "suck it up and play through it", please don't respond to this post.

Novice hockey is defined as beginner players up to 4 years of experience or so.

My team is pretty balanced and has good puck possession, and as a result scores in bunches, but there is one team that has had our number all season, and even with 3 players on their bench, they managed to beat us 1-0.

I played against this team as a sub for another team, and the difference was night and day, and I didn't understand how they can shut us down every time we see them. The reason it is even more frustrating is that they have a goalie who is way beyond the skill level of the league, he'll give up one goal on a bad night, there are few people with a shot that matches his skill level in net.

Their strategy is to drive the puck carrier outside and to the boards after entering the zone, with the center closing off the lane to the middle of the ice, and one defenseman dropping back to the net. The wingers stay very close to the blue line when they come back, and like to sit out in the neutral zone to pressure our defensemen. I would call it a defensive zone trap, it is very similar to how Jeremy Weiss describes the neutral zone trap, but activates at the defensive blue line. With their goalie, using this strategy makes them unbeatable against a Novice team, they would otherwise be completely overmatched.

What is the best way to break through this at this level?

Last edited:

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
How do you beat a team that effectively takes away the middle of the ice in D league?

1. Speed
2. Dump and chase
3. Put in rebounds from ineffective shots from the outside lanes.
4. Be willing to be more physical than them (gotta win puck races/battles and jam).
5. Look for psychological advantage.

All that said a goalie slumming down a division or two vs guys struggling to get quality shots will negate most of your efforts regardless of game plan. Unacceptable in my book. And thus...thoughts of hacking and running him may be prevalent.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
How do you beat a team that effectively takes away the middle of the ice in D league?

1. Speed
2. Dump and chase
3. Put in rebounds from ineffective shots from the outside lanes.
4. Be willing to be more physical than them (gotta win puck races/battles and jam).
5. Look for psychological advantage.

All that said a goalie slumming down a division or two vs guys struggling to get quality shots will negate most of your efforts regardless of game plan. Unacceptable in my book. And thus...thoughts of hacking and running him may be prevalent.

This. You can also try to go wide, stop behind the net and look to setup point shots.

If a team plays like that, it's a sign of cowardice IMO. They probably aren't skilled enough on the back end. Try beating them in terms of possession of the puck and go for the bang bang plays.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
its not a defensive zone trap. its a prevent box. the best way to beat it is to realize that you aren't going to score any pretty backdoor goals and play extremely simple hockey. take shots from the point and crash the net and get dirty goals

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Depends on the relative quality of your team. Your description of strong puck possession makes it seem like you guys can pass, which is very import in this situation. I've found using speed and driving wide and kicking it back to the point for a shot is rather effective, as is simply dumping the puck deep and winning a battle.

As for the great goalie, if nobody can beat him clean, get some traffic in front and cram for garbage goals. It's really annoying when a skater plays down a few levels, but exponentially more annoying when a goalie does it.

Bottom line, play simple, put as many shots as you can on net(preferably off the pad for a rebound since you can't beat him clean up high) and don't get frustrated.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
If they're forcing you wide after you enter the zone you either have to beat the defenseman wide with speed (if your team is quick) or draw the defenseman towards you and ring it around the boards to the far-side (since the other defenseman will likely drop towards the net.

If you use the second strategy, you have to make sure that both the far-side winger and far-side defenseman know that the puck is coming around the boards HARD so they should be ready to play it. Also, it would be beneficial to have your Center driving the middle lane towards the net to take their Center (and other d-man, likely) out of the equation as far as puck retrieval goes. Once the puck is around the net, IF your team as successfully retained possession, the guy who rung the puck around the boards would be the high forward while the other winger and center would either try to make a play towards the net (a hard low shot would work as well) or dish it out to the defensemen. Something tells me that the defensemen won't really be open all that much, though, since you said their wingers play your d-men tight.

Hope that helped a little!

Also, keep in mind that the implementation of this play SHOULD open up the ice a little bit because of the fact that they'll have to start respecting this play as an option, therefore changing the way they defend against your team.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
While far from a brilliant strategist, it sounds to me like a relatively simply play when coming into the zone is a drop pass to a trailer perhaps coming in a little more towards center.

If I understand correctly you as a wide wing will draw a D and a center shading your side. The other D will be much lower and in front of the net. That means your trailer should have a shot opportunity around the top of the circles? Then just crash the net. If you've pulled 2 guys wide, then someone isn't covered somewhere...

Another option if you can pull 1.5-2 defenders is to use a delay maneveur and curl up high and again see if there is someone breaking towards the middle/back door(if you can make a very good pass).

If they are covering your D tight in the offensive zone then the forwards should have a bit more room, and if you have better individual skill you may also be able to just beat the defender and once that happens it becomes a 3 on 2. or a 2 on 1 for a moment.

If I didn't understand what you were talking about then feel free to completely ignore my advice.

Good luck!

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Sometimes the best strategy is to take what the defense gives you. I'll use football as a quick example.

If the defense is hanging back protecting the deep pass then the offense should counter that with quick short passes and running the ball.

If the defense is up near the line of scrimmage then it would be the best time to attack with the deep ball.

Hockey is similar in the sense that a good defense will give you something in attempt to eliminate something else. In this case, it sounds to me like they are boxing you out to the outside to protect the slot (A prime scoring area).

One thing I would do is instead of attacking with speed or dumping the puck in is to would try slowing things down and cycling to break down their defense and opening up passing lanes in the offensive zone.

What I would do on zone entry is to skate to the half wall (roughly where the hash marks are) and do a button hook allowing extra time for the other two forwards to enter the zone and finding a soft spot in the coverage to receive a pass.

If nobody is open you can skate along the wall up or down, pass to your defenseman when they get to the blueline or simply dump the puck behind the net allowing the wingers to try to retrieve it.

This picture especially the top one somewhat illustrates what im talking about however the picture is to illustrate power play positioning but the concept is roughly the same.

triangles-hockey.jpg

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Sounds like an overload high point defense.

If their D is at the goalie and one D and center are overloading your winger, then have the winger ring the puck behind the net to the other corner. That winger shouldn't have anyone on him. If the D moves away from in goalie then the slot is completely wide open for your center to attack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad