TV: Beartown (HBO Max)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The original book "Bjornstad" just made me realize that Bjorn is Swedish for "bear" and also that Beorn from Lord of the Rings who shapeshifted into a bear was likely named that for a reason.

STILL LEARNING AFTER ALL THESE YEARS

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Why would a series about a Swedish town be in English not Swedish? Do you have trouble reading?
How would I possibly know this before clicking on the trailer?

Nope, no trouble reading, but if I want to read i'll pick up a book.

Always found it odd how some people attack others for not being able to enjoy "reading" a movie/TV series on their TV screens.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
How would I possibly know this before clicking on the trailer?

Nope, no trouble reading, but if I want to read i'll pick up a book.

Always found it odd how some people attack others for not being able to enjoy "reading" a movie/TV series on their TV screens.

Because it's a weird complaint to expect all media to cater to English speakers and to write off anything that is in a foreign language

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Because it's a weird complaint to expect all media to cater to English speakers and to write off anything that is in a foreign language
I'm sorry, but can you point out where I said that I expect all media to cater to English speakers?

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Anyway, I've only read the first book in the series but it was very good. Heavy subject matter though, albeit important. Won't be an easy watch

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Because if it's not in english it's not worth watching to you. Therefore you expect media to cater to English speakers
Yea you're right, it's not worth me watching/reading. But nowhere do I say I expect media to cater to English speakers. You realize not everyone enjoys the same exact thing right? I guess that means everyone expects the media to cater to what they want in your opinion :rolleyes:

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Yea you're right, it's not worth me watching/reading. But nowhere do I say I expect media to cater to English speakers. You realize not everyone enjoys the same exact thing right? I guess that means everyone expects the media to cater to what they want in your opinion :rolleyes:

No, but to say something doesn't interest you because it's in a foreign language is weird and needlessly limiting to things which may bring you enjoyment. But you do you

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
No, but to say something doesn't interest you because it's in a foreign language is weird and needlessly limiting to things which may bring you enjoyment. But you do you
Really? Is that so far fetched for you to think that some people actually wouldn't enjoy reading a movie on the screen?

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Really? Is that so far fetched for you to think that some people actually wouldn't enjoy reading a movie on the screen?

You realize most of the world outside of North America grows up with subtitles for consuming much of their movies and TV. It's a north american thing to be scared of subtitles. Once you get over your fear of subtitles there's a whole world of films and TV which is just as good and often better than the stuff released in North America. So yeah, I find it weird when people are scared of doing a little reading, especially because you often forget you're reading subtitles anyway when you watch something with subtitles

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
You realize most of the world outside of North America grows up with subtitles for consuming much of their movies and TV. It's a north american thing to be scared of subtitles
Ok?

So i'll ask again, is that so far fetched for you to think that some people actually wouldn't enjoy reading a movie on the screen?

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Ok?

So i'll ask again, is that so far fetched for you to think that some people actually wouldn't enjoy reading a movie on the screen?

Not far fetched, but I'd say they don't have much experience watching anything subtitled and are needlessly limiting themselves.

It really only takes like five minutes of watching a subtitled film to stop noticing that you're reading so it's a weird aversion in my opinion

Last edited:
Reactions: les Habs

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
This is a hockey forum, right? Anyway, I have I think 2-3 of the books in the series. Have yet to read them, but I think the trailer looks really good.

Read them. Us Against You isnt quite as good as Beartown, but still damn good.

Beartown destroyed my sleep cycle. I normally read for 15-30 minutes before bed, space a book over a month or two. Beartown was three sleep deprived nights.

Reactions: JMCx4 and les Habs

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
HBO is airing a 5-part series adapted from a Swedish production based on a very good book by the same name. The storyline is about young hockey players in Sweden, but has a much darker plot. A review of the HBO mini-series was published today on IndieWire.com. The review is not completely positive; but if the adaptation is mostly true to the book, I'd say hockey fans could find the HBO show worth viewing.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I really enjoyed the first two episodes. A bit predictable so far, but still really entertaining. Love the setting too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad