OT: Bears & NFL Talk 88

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Saw the highlights and as much as it is another nail in Nagy's coffin, it also put on show Pace's horrendous record with drafting playmakers.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I saw a comment on Twitter that summed up Fields perfectly:

He’s athletic and has arm talent but can’t read defenses, doesn’t see the field well and is way too careless with the ball. There are tools to work with but he needs a TON of coaching up and probably won’t be playing to his potential until the end of next season if he ever does.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yeah, like maybe he should of been working and focusing on learning to deeply understand and read coverage and route combos or work on his throwing motion almost all season.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Such an ugly game. An embarrassing offensive performance. Abysmal play calling. Inability to take care of the ball. Total lack of discipline. Terrible officiating.

And the topper was the broadcast crew completely and deservedly crapping on Nagy, Pace and the Bears organization for being incapable of putting a decent product on the field.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Yeah, like maybe he should of been working and focusing on learning to deeply understand and read coverage and route combos or work on his throwing motion almost all season.
I feel like nagy told everyone he wasnt ready and nobody listened. That said, i highly doubt nagy is capable of developing him any way.

Reactions: plasmonresonance

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Those referees were contemptible last night, and quite frankly they should be relieve of their duties immediately. That was a horizon display of refereeing.

He’s athletic and has arm talent but can’t read defenses, doesn’t see the field well and is way too careless with the ball. There are tools to work with but he needs a TON of coaching up and probably won’t be playing to his potential until the end of next season if he ever does.

That has more to do with Nagy being clueless on how to develop Justin Fields. At this point, Fields needs to snaps period. I have no doubt he'll be able to read defense and develop once he gets a good coach to work with him. Nagy has done everything possible to sabotage Fields.

I still have no regrets on the trade and I still believe Fields will be the best QB out of the draft and a top 10 QB before his rookie contract is over.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
The Bears have been shit for most of the last 70 years. They've won one Super Bowl, and one NFL championship in that span.
That’s what always drives me nuts.

the Bears get a lot of fan fare but objectively speaking, they have been one of the worst franchises in the NFL history in the SB era.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

He's also a bit undersized and I worry about his longevity. He also makes some questionable decisions running with the ball, heck I hate to say it but Mitch looked better on the scramble.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Those referees were contemptible last night, and quite frankly they should be relieve of their duties immediately. That was a horizon display of refereeing.

That has more to do with Nagy being clueless on how to develop Justin Fields. At this point, Fields needs to snaps period. I have no doubt he'll be able to read defense and develop once he gets a good coach to work with him. Nagy has done everything possible to sabotage Fields.

I still have no regrets on the trade and I still believe Fields will be the best QB out of the draft and a top 10 QB before his rookie contract is over.

Agreed but that was the knock on him coming out of college. So many NFL qbs fail because they just can't read a D. Watch Rodgers - he's the absolute master of reading a D and exploiting coverage. Fields really really struggles with that.

I hope this could all be cleaned up with more reps and better coaching. He wouldn't be the first NFL QB to fail because of the inability to make quick reads and decisions.

Regardless, his awareness in the pocket is really really bad. Objectively, he's one of the worst I've seen all year. At least 50% of the sacks he's taken this season were a result of a lack of pocket awareness and getting rid of the ball. That must change.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
I feel like nagy told everyone he wasnt ready and nobody listened. That said, i highly doubt nagy is capable of developing him any way.
Nagy's been given two veteran, developed QBs and they both performed far below expectations. Basically he can take guys who know what they're doing and make them look worse. Even Trubisky's best year came before Nagy neutered his running ability and forced him to be more of a pocket passer. I get the impression Nagy thinks his offense works against any defense. So he doesn't make recognizing defenses nearly the priority it should be when it comes to his QBs. Probably why he makes so few adjustments after half time. His supposed self evaluation is a joke.

Last edited:

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Nagy's been given two veteran, developed QBs and they both performed far beyond expectations. Basically he can take guys who know what they're doing and make them look worse. Even Trubisky's best year came before Nagy neutered his running ability and forced him to be more of a pocket passer. I get the impression Nagy thinks his offense works against any defense. So he doesn't make recognizing defenses nearly the priority it should be when it comes to his QBs. Probably why he makes so few adjustments after half time. His supposed self evaluation is a joke.
I know that nagy has no clue what hes doing. Its clear as day at this point. Perfect example of a guy who was trying to "fake it til you make it" and never was able to figure it out.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
I know that nagy has no clue what hes doing. Its clear as day at this point. Perfect example of a guy who was trying to "fake it til you make it" and never was able to figure it out.
I agree with you. After reading your reply, I noticed my original post said 'beyond'. I've corrected to say 'below'. Good grief that was a major faux pas on my part. Crap.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
He's also a bit undersized and I worry about his longevity. He also makes some questionable decisions running with the ball, heck I hate to say it but Mitch looked better on the scramble.
I don't think he's undersized. He's listed at 6-3 and 228, Mahomes is listed at 6-3 and 230. Both are taller and heavier than Trubisky.

Reactions: Panzerspitze

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Agreed but that was the knock on him coming out of college. So many NFL qbs fail because they just can't read a D. Watch Rodgers - he's the absolute master of reading a D and exploiting coverage. Fields really really struggles with that.

I hope this could all be cleaned up with more reps and better coaching. He wouldn't be the first NFL QB to fail because of the inability to make quick reads and decisions.

Regardless, his awareness in the pocket is really really bad. Objectively, he's one of the worst I've seen all year. At least 50% of the sacks he's taken this season were a result of a lack of pocket awareness and getting rid of the ball. That must change.
Agree he needs to read the D better and definitely needs to know when to just get rid of the ball. But why are we comparing a rookie QB, who most said would need significant development time, to Aaron Rodgers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad