Bears and NFL Talk Thread LIV: Khalil Mack's a Bear!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The bold is not really true.

Trubisky put up better numbers in college and their skill set is very similar if you ask me. The big difference is that Jay seemed more willing to make risky throws.

Cutler had significantly more experience playing so he was much better than Trubisky. It’s not about skill set. Cutler came in polished (to a point) and never improved.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Cutler had significantly more experience playing so he was much better than Trubisky. It’s not about skill set. Cutler came in polished (to a point) and never improved.

I will take skill set and production over experience. Cutler had 2 more seasons of experience but was a worse QB.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
How am I writing him off?

Simply pointing out that he is far from stable nor is situation is somehow not the truth?

Not if he busts

Usually busting 1st round QB's don't make it past year 3

Hopefully we don't end up with similar situation but its not uncommon for teams to draft a new QB in year 3/4 if they don't feel the former 1st round pick is working out

Whatever happened to reserving praise and hyperbole when a QB has shown very little to warrant it?

I don't see you taking issue with those praising for no reason our QB but seem upset to those who simply point out his struggles and how little he has shown to warrant the over the top praise

No on is demanding he be a MVP/Pro Bowler immediately

Its not unreasonable to expect our #2 QB to not look like Mike Glennon most of his time and whether people like it or not the trade will always be factored into equation as well as when he was selected

And as you point out the Bears ownership/front office does not deserve any slack or benefit of doubt given the performance of Bears franchise

The FO is new. They've had what, two years? The ownership does not deserve any benefit of the doubt, or slack. The FO, should, IMO. After the garbage they inherited, and the disaster this organization was under Trestman, and Fox, and Emery... it's a lot of work to fix that dumpster fire.

And people are calling him a bust, or saying he'll never succeed... and I'm pretty sure even you, yourself, have said that. When he has barely had a season to develop, and was trying to develop under a garbage system/coaching staff, who stunted his development more than helped it.

It's unreasonable to expect him to come in and look like an MVP, and yet many unreasonable Bears fans expect it.

And btw, I don't think I've seen a single person on here throw "over-the-top praise" on Trubisky. No one. All they're saying is to give him some time to develop. He has talent, and has the tools. Just let him develop and see if he can put it together before coming down on him.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I will take skill set and production over experience. Cutler had 2 more seasons of experience but was a worse QB.

Cutler played for Vanderbilt in dominant SEC conference

LOL your hate for Cutler is laughable

And Cutler as a rookie QB showed far more then Trubisky and had to deal with a far worse situation (A disgruntled veteran QB that treated him like shit)

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This is year 4 of Pace regime

But continue to pretend he is some rookie GM forced to make errors/mistakes and is some victim

Edit: Yes, this is year 4. My point still stands. The team and organization was garbage. The systems were garbage. The coach was garbage. The entire roster was basically garbage/old. He had to completely rebuild the team from scratch, and had very little to work with considering how bad Trestman, Emery, and Fox were at their jobs. He has completed a total of 3 years as GM. And by all accounts of those who can be unbiased, the team is headed in the right direction, from a talent standpoint, as well as a FO standpoint.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

And Cutler as a rookie QB showed far more then Trubisky and had to deal with a far worse situation (A disgruntled veteran QB that treated him like ****)

Cutler was not a great QB. He was slightly above average. He had more talent than that. But his football IQ never reached his talent. He had more than enough weapons to work with throughout his tenure here, but continually shot himself in the foot with his own mental mistakes.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I know this is a message board, but playing QB is the hardest position to play in sports ... even harder than goalie.

Just like high rated goalie prospects, you don't really know what you have until year 3. Even then we still don't know what we have with Marcus Mariota yet. Jameis appears to be another Jay Cutler with off the field issues. Is it Goff or Shannahan? Can Wentz stay healthy with his playing style?

So to even try to label Trubisky at the start of his second year is asinine. Mahommes is just starting ... and who knows if DWat's surgically repaired knees hold up. It didn't for RGIII and Kirk Cousins became the star instead. Everyone thought Kaepernick would have the longer career ... not Alex Smith. NYC was merciless with Eli until he won TWO Super Bowls. The San Diego Chargers drafted Phillip Rivers after 3 YEARS of Drew Brees. They thought Brees was a MAJOR bust.

So please spare me the serious expert QB predictions. If you want to have fun gasbaggery ... that's different.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Former Atlanta Falcons and Washington Redskins defensive back DeAngelo Hall announced his retirement from the NFL on Wednesday and managed to rip former Bears quarterback Jay Cutler in the process.

"If I could have played against Jay Cutler more, I probably would be in the Hall of Fame by now, but it didn’t quite work out," he said.
Hall intercepted Cutler four times in one game in a Redskins win over the Bears in 2010.

Happy retirement D-Hall.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

And Cutler as a rookie QB showed far more then Trubisky and had to deal with a far worse situation (A disgruntled veteran QB that treated him like ****)

My hate for Cutler? You realize I was a Cutler supporter right? You need to stop making shit up.

Trubisky played in the ACC so you can stop acting like Trubisky played in the WAC.

Check the splits in their respective years.

Last edited:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
The funny thing about Cutler as someone else pointed out, he never really got better. Came into the league as a high 80's QB rating guy and basically was that his whole career (with some really down years in there).

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
My hate for Cutler? You realize I was a Cutler supporter right? You need to stop making **** up.

Trubisky played in the ACC so you can stop acting like Trubisky played in the WAC.

Check the splits in their respective years.
Outside of FSU and Clemson, the ACC is probably the worst football conferences out of the Power 5, they probably don't belong with the B10/B12/PAC 12 and SEC. They are more on par with the AAC than the other power 5 conferences. The ACC is a basketball conference, not a football one.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Outside of FSU and Clemson, the ACC is probably the worst football conferences out of the Power 5, they probably don't belong with the B10/B12/PAC 12 and SEC. They are more on par with the AAC than the other power 5 conferences. The ACC is a basketball conference, not a football one.

It is closer than you think.

ACC

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Not really. ACC football recruits better than B1G and definitely better than the PAC12 and Big12. The ACC has Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC (hurt by academic scandal), and Virginia Tech. And dont forget ND plays 5 ACC teams per yesr. B1G has the Bucknuts and Michigan. MSU, PSU, and Bucky doesn't recruit as well as you think.

The ACC has crappy backend teams ... but their top and middle is good or better than any conference but the SEC. Even then, without Bama and Georgia, where is the SEC right now? It's not like USC, Florida, LSU, Tenn, aTm are killing it.

The key is to look at the recruiting base. California pretty much supplies most of the PAC12 talent. Texas supplies the Big12. The Eastern seaboard ... New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carlolina, Georgia, and Florida is where the ACC resides. Along with the SEC, the ACC has major recruiting advantages. Minus Ohio State, Michigan, and PSU ... B1G can't recruit as well as the ACC and SEC.

It wasn't long ago until Harbaugh and Meyer came back to B1G that everyone thought B1G football was dead. What happens if they leave again? Ohio and Pennsylvania still has good football talent. However, it's nothing like it is in the South.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The key for Trubisky is pocket presence. I don't know if it's due to a lack of experience or something innate ... but he has a tendency to not feel the rush. That was some of the issues at UNC.

Trubisky has the work ethics, enough of a brain, quick release, arm strength, accuracy, mobility, and size to be a very good NFL QB. IN MY OPINION, Trubisky's success will come down to his pocket presence.

When you evaluate Trubisky, look for his ability to:

* feel the rush and side step to give himself more time.
* step into the pocket and be accurate with defenders at his feet.
* use different arm angles to find throwing lanes (too many balls batted down).
* scramble but feel the oncoming rush from behind.

Nagy's offense where play action and the moving pocket are highly utilized will help Trubisky immensely. Trubisky has really good feet on the move. That's why he's so accurate. I had worries about Trubisky's touch on the intermediate passes (over LBs / under DBs), but indications are that he improved greatly in that area.

So when you are watching the pre season games, see how Trubisky feels the rush. Does he move within the pocket well? Does he step up, side step, break an arm tackle, use arm angles, feel pressure behind him on the scramble. Remember, Trubisky's combine results showed he is literally just as FAST, QUICK, and STRONG as DeShaun Watson. Trubisky has the athleticism to be just as effective. The question is instincts. We won't really know without far more experience.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I don't expect a playoff run but some evidence they are on the right path. Mitch looking like a NFL QB on a series here and there. Plays he is making above and beyond typical throws.

Pace's other draft picks making contributions. 6-10, 7-9 is likely. 8-8 or 9-7 would exceed my expectations.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Trubisky has to look like an NFL QB on more than just a series here and there, though.

I'm not remotely writing him off, but I honestly still don't get the hype behind him from so many people. The most I've seen is that he may be a serviceable NFL QB, at which case we overpaid for him.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Trubisky has to look like an NFL QB on more than just a series here and there, though.

I'm not remotely writing him off, but I honestly still don't get the hype behind him from so many people. The most I've seen is that he may be a serviceable NFL QB, at which case we overpaid for him.
Trubisky has the physical traits for the hype. He also appears to have the work ethic. We'll see if he has the intelligence and instincts to make a very good QB.

Most starting NFL QBs are great with a clean pocket. What separates the mediocre from the very good is the ability to execute in a messy pocket. That's what I need to see from Trubisky. What happens when the pocket breaks down? Can he consistently find his second and third options? Finding the primary receiver ... then the safety valve is what college QBs can do. The NFL is a different animal.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

I’ll give him a bit of latitude just because I feel like the team around , in particular the WR corp is unproven. He’s going to throw some picks, etc. I never liked drafting him and trading up to do so. It’s what we got now for a couple years regardless.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Tom Brady of whom has nothing to prove is in on 6 offensive drives in the 1st half attempting 26 pass plays in a preseason game.

Stop babying the offense. Mitch has proven nothing. He needs to be in on just as many plays on offense and Kevin White needs to play the full game.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Tom Brady of whom has nothing to prove is in on 6 offensive drives in the 1st half attempting 26 pass plays in a preseason game.

Stop babying the offense. Mitch has proven nothing. He needs to be in on just as many plays on offense and Kevin White needs to play the full game.
Cleveland went 4-0 in the preseason last year. The preseason means little unless the opposition plays their starters as well.

I'm sure Trubisky will play 2.5 quarters next week. The Kevin White train never arrived. He's just not very good. He will always be a #4/5 type receiver. He is sunk cost.

And then this news comes out of the New England / Phlly game last night ...
Source: Pats rookie Wynn (Achilles) out for '18

While I also believe repetitions are important, there is a fine line between too much and enough. We'll also find out about Foles' shoulder injury today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad