Confirmed with Link: Bear 18% retained and C Pederson for a 5th

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah, qualifying him to begin with was a mistake. We should have just cut our losses and let him go. That said, a 5th is (slightly) better than nothing.
Definitely an interesting turn of events.

I’m guessing the idea of getting an actual player back was from early off season and that changed when no one was moving salary without issues.

Of course we had to pay to get rid of him….it’s the same market that gave us Burns and Patches for essentially nothing.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Qualifying Bear wasn't worth this hassle.

Should have just let him walk. Trading another player plus retaining just to get a 5th round pick is pretty dumb
The amount we retained is probably worth a 5th. Pederson was absolutely never going to do anything for us so his inclusion is irrelevant. If we had let him walk and Coghlan and Chatfield sucked in the preseason and CDH didn't return we could be in a bit of a jam right now. I'm not really sure any of it was a "hassle." Unless you think Don is working too many hours?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
the f*** is this man. walk away from the award you dinguses
Couldn't.

Only thing they could (and probably should) have done is not give him a QO at all and bring in cheap depth on a minimum salary in his place that could just be buried in the A.

Chatfield was hardly some unknown heading in to this off season, he was solid last season in his limited stint here and was great with Chicago in the A. I know a lot of us were wanting them to cut bait with Bear in the off season but they gambled there would be a taker in a trade at full value. There wasn't, there was never going to be after the first day of UFA with a flat cap.

I guess the one plus is that we didn't have to give up a good prospect like Honka or Fensore to ditch him.

Fwiw, I think I had projected Bear to... Wherever for a fifth at the draft. So not too far off

Last edited:

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
wut?

Also, not to be lost, but I really liked Bear and wanted him to work out. I really thought he would and it was good to acquire him. I hope this situation works well for him.
What a stupid wasteful ridiculous move.
The first mistake was his QO.
The second was spending 2m on him instead of trying to keep tda.
The third was retaining salary.
Super poor decision making all around.

Reactions: Sigurd and cptjeff

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Not a management boot licker here.

The difference between say a 3rd or Hoglander and a 5th with trivial retention is less significant in reality than it looks written on paper. I doubt they’re losing any sleep over this.

Reactions: geehaad and Chrispy

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
What a stupid wasteful ridiculous move.
The first mistake was his QO.
The second was spending 2m on him instead of trying to keep tda.
The third was retaining salary.
Super poor decision making all around.
It is what it is. Yes they bumbled this from the start but it won’t mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Good luck to Bear in Vancouver, he’ll need it

Reactions: DaveG

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Canes retaining $400K per SN.

Cap Friendly shows we have $0 cap space. Can they bring up Drury? Also, developmentally wise, isn't it better for him to get regular ice time versus rotating?

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
When he was signed, he was 7D insurance. If they kept him now, he'd be 9D at best.

The price for that insurance policy was $400k in cash/cap.

In addition, we traded an undrafted player for a 5th round pick.

It's only disappointing if you thought we were gonna get more for our 9th best D-man.

Last edited:

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Bear sucks so bad, he shouldn’t be in the league. They only got a 5th rounder!? Wtf is this shit!?

Reactions: Daeavorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad