Beanpot to be played in Belfast?

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Boston mayor backs Belfast bid for major ice hockey tournament
Boston mayor Marty Walsh has given his backing to a bid to bring a major ice hockey tournament to Belfast in 2016.

While visiting the Odyssey Arena, Mayor Walsh offered his support to an Odyssey Trust initiative to bring the NCAA Beanpot tournament to the city.

The Beanpot, which features Boston College, Boston University, Harvard and Northeastern, is one of the biggest tournaments in the ice hockey season.

The event has a huge following in Boston and across the United States.

Boston mayor backs Belfast for Beanpot college ice hockey tournament

"In the 62 years since its inception it has become the official battle for Boston's hockey bragging rights and is widely known as the 'social event of the winter season'," said Walsh.

"In light of the recent Sister City twinning between Belfast and Boston, which is underpinned by a longstanding connection between the two cities through ice hockey, I think it would be wonderful to bring the Beanpot to Belfast and am lending my support to the campaign."

Odyssey Trust Chief Executive Robert Fitzpatrick says a 'Belfast Beanpot' would bring a major boost to the city.

"Bringing this tournament to the Odyssey Arena is ice hockey's answer to bringing Notre Dame to Croke Park - the impact would be massive and would bring a major economic boost not only to local sport, but to hospitality, tourism and culture in Northern Ireland.

"Ice hockey has played an important role in fostering strong relationships between Belfast and Boston and bringing this high-profile tournament to Northern Ireland would further cement that relationship and celebrate the links between the two cities."

Mayor Walsh will host a delegation from the Odyssey Trust and Belfast Giants at Boston City Hall in early October this year, where they will meet with the NCAA and representatives from the four Boston Colleges to discuss how the initiative can be taken forward.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I just don't think it's the right one for Ireland. I think it would be a great place to have a tournament, but not the Beanpot.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
first we cant get chick fil a now we theyre taking the beanpot. I hate mayors.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
I can't imagine Jacobs being too thrilled with this idea. Those collage kids drink a lot of watered down beer.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The Mayor needs to focus on more pressing matters than a hockey tournament. Aside from that, it is a really dumb idea.

Have an exhibition tournament over there but don't mess with a 60+ year old tradition.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Let me get this straight: They want to outsource the Beanpot, one of the great local traditions....and these same idiots want to spend $50 billion to bring the summer Olympics to Boston?

No wonder why every time I see Marty Walsh on my TV I mock him with a "duh duh" voice.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
What the ****... That's idiotic I love the beanpot. I've been to 8 straight they better not move it.

This is northeastern year. Oh yes. This is it.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Agreed. Next year will possibly be the first time I'll be back in the Boston area since my girlfriend will most likely be going to BC. I hate the idea that I couldn't watch the Beanpot live. It not being in Boston pisses me off.
They're talking about the year after (2016). I think it's a great idea. For one year, why not? There will be a lot of alumni interested. And, being spring break, look for a lot of students to go there instead of Pensacola for a good time.

I remember when BC played Army for football in Ireland. The atmosphere was "magical", as one BC alum told me. College hockey.....Beanpot......Ireland; does it get any better?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
So this is what the new mayor of a major US city does as one of his first official acts? He takes a traditional series and attempts to send it along with the money etc overseas? He needs to concentrate on a whole hell of a lot more (on his plate) than a dumb move like this. I miss mumbles Menino already!:(

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Why not just let other HE teams go instead of the Boston ones?

Have Umass, UML, UNH, Maine go?

You can't move the beanpot it will devalue the tournament. Big part of recruiting for all 4 schools.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
According to the Mayor's Press Secretary Kate Norton, he didn't propose the actual Beanpot be moved, but a Beanpot-style tournament take place in Belfast.

https://twitter.com/norton_kate/status/515599434743574528

imagejpg1_zpsb277f9f0.jpg~original

Step off the BU Bridge. Beanpot's not going anywhere.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
According to the Mayor's Press Secretary Kate Norton, he didn't propose the actual Beanpot be moved, but a Beanpot-style tournament take place in Belfast.

https://twitter.com/norton_kate/status/515599434743574528

imagejpg1_zpsb277f9f0.jpg~original

Step off the BU Bridge. Beanpot's not going anywhere.

The bbc literally quotes him as saying he wants to bring the Beanpot to Belfast:

"In the 62 years since its inception it has become the official battle for Boston's hockey bragging rights and is widely known as the 'social event of the winter season'," said Walsh.

"In light of the recent Sister City twinning between Belfast and Boston, which is underpinned by a longstanding connection between the two cities through ice hockey, I think it would be wonderful to bring the Beanpot to Belfast and am lending my support to the campaign."

Odyssey Trust Chief Executive Robert Fitzpatrick says a 'Belfast Beanpot' would bring a major boost to the city.

"Bringing this tournament to the Odyssey Arena is ice hockey's answer to bringing Notre Dame to Croke Park - the impact would be massive and would bring a major economic boost not only to local sport, but to hospitality, tourism and culture in Northern Ireland.

Nothing about a new tournement.Even if it was a new tournement you couldn't call it the Beanpot. What's one team going to win it in Jan and another in feb? Give me a break. This little statement and backtracking is just an oh **** cya statement after seeing the huge firestorm brewing against him. This is like the whole U2/Fenway thing from earlier this week where he shot his mouth off and got caught:
http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_politics/2014/09/walsh_slips_with_hockey_idea
The mayor’s latest slip of the tongue comes on the heels of another retracted remark last week, when he told the Herald he wanted to meet with U2’s manager in Dublin to bring the legendary Irish band to Fenway Park, saying, “I’m going to try and make that happen.”

Once again, Norton issued a backpedaling statement, telling WBZ-TV (Ch. 4) that his remarks were “taken out of context,” and adding, “Mayor Walsh did not announce that he was taking active steps to bring U2 to Fenway, and his trip to Ireland has absolutely nothing to do with this idea. Mayor Walsh is not a concert promoter.”

But Norton’s denial fell flat the next day when former Mayor Raymond L. Flynn said that Walsh had in fact sought his help in bringing U2 to Fenway.

Last edited:

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Such a ******** idea if it happens. As someone who loves college hockey in Boston (being a BU student myself) I would hate for this to go across the pond when it's meant for the college kids and local folks HERE. I mean...probably a great experience for the players, but ****** for the rest of us.

Gotta love politics.

SPB2776

Jun 4, 2009
This is northeastern year. Oh yes. This is it.

I've been saying this since I was accepted in 1994.
And I feel it every year. This is the year
It would be my luck that the year they finally win it, it would be in Europe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad