Confirmed with Link: Bean, Gauthier signed to ELCs

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
From the Press Release:
"For an 18-year-old, Julien already has the body of a professional hockey player," said Francis. "He had a great week in Raleigh for development camp, and will play an important role in the Hurricanes’ future."

Translation: "He and Rod Brind'Amour are already becoming very close, bonding over talk of supplements, lifting, and protein powder. It's a little creepy really, but it should provide a positive example to some of the scrawny-ass players we're bringing to camp."

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
speculation: Francis thinks Gauthier has a shot at making the lineup, but it seems highly unlikely that Bean does, but he doesn't feel like he can give Gauthier a contract right now without doing the same for Bean who was drafted higher.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Possible. Though signing these kids to ELCs ahead of time within a certain age window (not 100% sure what range that is) lowers the cap hit on them throughout the course of their ELC as well if they're sent back to juniors. Essentially the base salary remains constant but the bonus is spread out over 4 or even 5 years from the point of the signing instead of just the 3 years that they actually play for the team.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
speculation: Francis thinks Gauthier has a shot at making the lineup, but it seems highly unlikely that Bean does, but he doesn't feel like he can give Gauthier a contract right now without doing the same for Bean who was drafted higher.
it's pretty standard for most teams to sign first rounders during the summer regardless of whether they have a chance of making the lineup

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
it's pretty standard for most teams to sign first rounders during the summer regardless of whether they have a chance of making the lineup

Obviously it's not uncommon, but it's not a given either, especially not this early and especially when you're talking about a defenseman. My guess is, Bean doesn't get his ELC right now if RF didn't have a good feeling about Gauthier being able to make the jump very soon. But as I said, it's just speculation.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Obviously it's not uncommon, but it's not a given either, especially not this early and especially when you're talking about a defenseman. My guess is, Bean doesn't get his ELC right now if RF didn't have a good feeling about Gauthier being able to make the jump very soon. But as I said, it's just speculation.

Haydn Fleury signed his ELC in the summer of 2014, shortly after being drafted.
Noah Hanifin signed his ELC in the summer of 2015, shortly after being drafted.
Ryan Murphy signe his ELC in September of 2011, shortly after being drafted.

The timing of Bean's signing isn't really any different than the last 3 defensemen the Canes drafted in the 1st round.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Haydn Fleury signed his ELC in the summer of 2014, shortly after being drafted.
Noah Hanifin signed his ELC in the summer of 2015, shortly after being drafted.
Ryan Murphy signe his ELC in September of 2011, shortly after being drafted.

The timing of Bean's signing isn't really any different than the last 3 defensemen the Canes drafted in the 1st round.

while i definitely agree that its not uncommon for bean to sign, it is definitely true that each of those three defensemen mentioned at least were considered to have a chance to make the team after their draft years

i dont think anyone here thinks bean has a shot, or is considered to

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
while i definitely agree that its not uncommon for bean to sign, it is definitely true that each of those three defensemen mentioned at least were considered to have a chance to make the team after their draft years

i dont think anyone here thinks bean has a shot, or is considered to

I disagree. Murphy never had a realistic shot and even Fleury really didn't (or at least was a long shot at best). Hanifin, I agree with. He had a very good shot.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I disagree. Murphy never had a realistic shot and even Fleury really didn't (or at least was a long shot at best). Hanifin, I agree with. He had a very good shot.

i may be mistaken but im pretty sure murphy was "on the roster" as a healthy scratch for the first several games of the 11-12 season, so he at least made it that far through camp

not saying he had a "decent" chance, but he had a chance

anyway, doesnt really matter, as its not out of the ordinary for bean to sign

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
i may be mistaken but im pretty sure murphy was "on the roster" as a healthy scratch for the first several games of the 11-12 season, so he at least made it that far through camp

ryan murphy is our version of when anton babchuk was a flaem

#discuss

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
the only reason i remember that bizarre fact about murphy is bc i went to the home opener and we got there early and we ended up driving in right next to him on the way to rbc/pnc

i was so excited, i started tapping on the window and everything, he either didnt see me or pretended not to

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

I think he was, but he was a 160lb (ok, maybe exaggerating) kid who realistically had no chance who they thought about giving his "9 games" but never did. And that was probably on a team that iced the worst D the Canes have ever had. I don't view Murphy as having a real chance to be a Hurricanes regular after his draft year.

Agree

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Also important here, with these 2 deals, I think we have 48 players under contract as of right now. With a max of 50, I think this possibly rules out any more UFA deals and also means there will be no undrafted FA signings (ala Tolchinsky). While we could sign up to 2 more guys it would in essence handcuff GMRF in the trade market unless a contract is moved out in exchange. Would definitely rule out a player-in for draft pick-out scenario.

At this point we still have flexibility for receiving another salary cap dump from Chicago ;)

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
the only reason i remember that bizarre fact about murphy is bc i went to the home opener and we got there early and we ended up driving in right next to him on the way to rbc/pnc

i was so excited, i started tapping on the window and everything, he either didnt see me or pretended not to

Wasn't that the season where Murphy was called up as an emergency call up? Or am I misremembering.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad