NBC Sports Boston Bean: Bruins offseason gets an F so far

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
While searching unsuccessfully for an explanation as to why no good teams gave Taylor Hall the puny deal he took with Buffalo, I came across this piece on The Athletic.

The gist: Jonathan Toews is annoyed and disappointed with the Blackhawks' offseason. They're clearly rebuilding and will stink next season, which is different from Boston's situation, but how do you think the Bruins' veteran stars feel right about now?

Torey Krug is gone, third-liner Craig Smith was brought in and Kevan Miller was re-upped.

So far, that's it, and every "oh, well they're probably going after [player X]" has been proven wrong.

Hall signed with the Sabres for one year and $8 million. Erik Gustafsson, a potential replacement for Krug, required only one year and $3 million to sign with the Flyers. Tyler Toffoli inked a four-year deal with the Canadiens. Nate Schmidt was available for a freaking third-round pick in 2022.

So for all of us who have wondered whether the Bruins will go for one last big push with this group of Patrice Bergeron, David Krejci (who's in the final year of his contract), Rask (same) and captain Zdeno Chara, so far, it's a "no."

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Too early for me to grade.....kind of like grading a draft right after it happens.

If the Bs don't make any other significant moves in the next 2 weeks or so, then I'll grab the pitchfork.

Reactions: Gator Mike

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
People who think they were going to be all in on OEL, Hall, or AP were deluding themselves. The very public nature of whom they were supposedly in on and chasing screamed fake to me because it runs counter to how this team does things. For example, they just signed Craig Smith. Did anyone hear even a rumble about him from any credible source? No. Instead it was all Hall and OEL every day in the media. Doesn't that tell you what's real and what's not? I don't expect them to be done just yet, but the moves won't be huge splashes because they were never going to be that. It was a show to make you think they were doing everything they could to land a big name, but it was all just a show. Smoke and mirrors.

Last edited:

Serge

Mar 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Fluto seems like he thinks Bruins are done. They will need the cap space to sign Chara and remaining RFAs: JDB, Gryzz, Zboril, & Kulman.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
D+: Talking about changes, bad draft, signing Kevan Miller as soon as they did, not signing Chara yet, and signing Smith.

Smith was a good addition, but I still think they need to add a LD and a LW. The thing is, it doesn't seem like they have a direction. Do you commit to go all in this season or not? If not, why make any additions at all and why not give the young roster players a shot? There needs to be a balance in their evaluation. Decide who should be here longterm and who shouldn't.

There are still some players they can target in free agency, but when Vegas' GM says that trades are at a standstill, that worries me because in my opinion, the Bruins have an excess amount of forwards and not enough roster positions, especially if they want to add a forward to the mix.

Reactions: LSCII

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
People who think they were going to be all in on OEL, Hall, or AP were deluding themselves. The very public nature of whom they were supposedly in on and chasing screamed fake to me because it runs counter to who this team does things. For example, they just signed Craig Smith. Did anyone hear even a rumble about him from any credible source? No. Instead it was all Hall and OEL every day in the media. Doesn't that tell you what's real and what's not? I don't expect them to be done just yet, but the moves won't be huge splashes because they were never going to be that. It was a show to make you think they were doing everything they could to land a big name, but it was all just a show. Smoke and mirrors.

I think youre correct cuz when they signed Backes I thought it was random

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Fluto seems like he thinks Bruins are done. They will need the cap space to sign Chara and remaining RFAs: JDB, Gryzz, Zboril, & Kulman.

Done chasing players in other organizations, sure. But Chara is a UFA, so he still technically counts as them dipping their toe. They don't have a huge amount of space left on the cap either. So some housekeeping to be done for sure. Wouldn't be surprised to see them do some lower level grunt stuff with 4th line types either because those guys are cheap.

Reactions: Serge

Buck Smith

May 23, 2016
Question: Is Craig Smith intended to be dropped to Kraken next year, in order to be able to keep our youths? Then it´s a double OK signing!

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Fluto probably thinks hockey sticks should be replaced with plastic toy rakes.

Reactions: Serge

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
This camels back has officially been broken. The Sweenius, and Bruins brass have catapulted themselves out of the circle of trust.

Reactions: BMC

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
People who think they were going to be all in on OEL, Hall, or AP were deluding themselves. The very public nature of whom they were supposedly in on and chasing screamed fake to me because it runs counter to how this team does things. For example, they just signed Craig Smith. Did anyone hear even a rumble about him from any credible source? No. Instead it was all Hall and OEL every day in the media. Doesn't that tell you what's real and what's not? I don't expect them to be done just yet, but the moves won't be huge splashes because they were never going to be that. It was a show to make you think they were doing everything they could to land a big name, but it was all just a show. Smoke and mirrors.

Pretty sure someone put out a Craig Smith rumor the day before he signed. I can't remember who it was, but I don't think it was some random person. I'll go see if I can find the tweet. It was a classic "Bruins are interested in Craig Smith" rumor.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I'm beginning to wonder if the plan is to roll with the roster as it stands now, evaluate what they have in Kase, Ritchie, Studnicka, Zboril, etc. then make their moves at the deadline to shore up what doesn't work out. I don't think that's necessarily a bad plan per se, but Sweeney and Neely boxed themselves in when they promised major shake ups. They clearly haven't delivered anything close.

Losing Krug stings but I don't think it's as big of a deal as it may seem at first glance. He is average at best 5v5 and if Krejci takes his spot on the first PP unit I don't see that as a huge downgrade. The second unit barely gets any PP time anyway so might as well load up on the first. Krug also played very sheltered minutes 5v5 so I think it's at least somewhat realistic to expect one of Zboril or Vaakanainen to be able to replicate that or at least come close enough.

I think the biggest concern at this point is the issue of who is going to eat up minutes alongside McAvoy against top competition. I like Grzcelyk but is he going to be able to keep up against Kucherov, Matthews and Eichel on a regular basis? Doubtful. This could cause some big match up problems if it's not addressed. They will have a ton of cap space at the deadline as it stands so there will be no excuse if this doesn't get resolved. Perhaps the OEL move could be made at the deadline without salary retention due to Krejci and Rask's contracts expiring after this season.

I think this will be Sweeney's make or break year. Most of the guys are his guys now. Did he choose correctly? Did he draft well enough to fill out the core? I don't feel confident he's done enough as it stands but there's still lots of time before the playoffs.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Pretty sure someone put out a Craig Smith rumor the day before he signed. I can't remember who it was, but I don't think it was some random person. I'll go see if I can find the tweet. It was a classic "Bruins are interested in Craig Smith" rumor.

So one, and how many OEL and Hall rumors have we seen this off season? Literally proves what I'm talking about. The things they're really doing, you don't hear about while the very public stuff never happens. Ironically, I saw Smith mentioned here by several posters as a possible target, so the fans were more in on it than the media. :laugh:

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Bruins fans have turned into Veruca Salt.

SilverTanBaboon-small.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad