Salary Cap: Be a GM Mode | Is it October yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I know it's dreck, but I'm desperate for any (fake) news. Can someone with access to DK please post a summary of what's in Yohe's Q&A today? Much appreciated

The only thing that even resembles information was about Butcher, Yohe said he knows the Pens are interested in him, and he knows Butcher is interested in the Pens, Yohe gives it a 33% chance of happening

blah blah blah, DK people asking if we might trade Kessel for Staal, blah blah

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The only thing that even resembles information was about Butcher, Yohe said he knows the Pens are interested in him, and he knows Butcher is interested in the Pens, Yohe gives it a 33% chance of happening

Staal is going to be the new Jagr for the next decade, isn't he?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Staal is going to be the new Jagr for the next decade, isn't he?

Yes...

All he needs is better wingers than Cooke and Kennedy and he'll be a #1 center!

He's entering his 6th season in Carolina and has topped 16 goals ONCE and hasn't surpassed 48 points since.

That being said, he'd be the perfect 3C on this team. But I can't imagine what the price would be and Carolina would have to retain $1.5 million.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Thanks. Such as it is

Jenkins

Aug 2, 2017
British Columbia
Yes...

He's entering his 6th season in Carolina and has topped 16 goals ONCE and hasn't surpassed 48 points since.

That being said, he'd be the perfect 3C on this team. But I can't imagine what the price would be and Carolina would have to retain $1.5 million.

To be fair Carolina isn't the most offensive team. Only Skinner and his brother have scored over 50 in his time there.

Would be great to have him back. Not at 6mil though.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Thing with a guy like Jordan Staal is he's got a full NMC. Just like all the top players get. I don't think it'd be difficult to get him with retention if he actually wanted out and would like to be back in PIT.

But i highly doubt he wants to leave CAR right now. He gets top line minutes and they're on the right track to becoming a contender.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Thing with a guy like Jordan Staal is he's got a full NMC. Just like all the top players get. I don't think it'd be difficult to get him with retention if he actually wanted out and would like to be back in PIT.

But i highly doubt he wants to leave CAR right now. He gets top line minutes and they're on the right track to becoming a contender.

The thing is, they're getting equal production from players that probably have a higher ceiling than he does and sooner rather than later, they will need to be paid and Staal's contract is going to be that abomination that they need to get rid of. Staal might not be bright enough to see that writing on the wall, but it's going to happen.

Victor Rask
Elias Lindholm
Teuvo Teravainen
Sebastian Aho

All 4 are as good if not better production wise, defensively, there's no telling if they can get to Staal's level yet, but as a unit, I mean, would you rather retain those 4 or keep Staal?

Rask is locked up at an unreal cap hit of 4m, genius by Francis, but he will need to sign Lindholm next year, Aho and Teravainen 2yrs later. Why block their progress by keeping Staal? I think at some point, they approach him, likely this year when all 4 produce as well or better than Staal, again.

Carolina has the defense, has the depth scoring, their goaltending is a question mark but if it holds up, they can surprise a lot of people. I think if they moved Staal for a winger or two, that's what puts them in a good spot for a while. They seem to be good down the middle where even if they lost Staal, they'd probably not miss a beat, but if they picked up a solid top 6 winger for him, what they really need, they'd be team people will start stupid threads about like "Where did the Hurricanes come from?"

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jordan can control where he goes if he wants out, kind of like the Kessel ordeal. If the Hurricanes have a guy that wants out and picks his spot, Staal is dealing from a position of some decent power. I mean yeah the Pens would be a good spot for him and if he were to want to go there, the Canes would need to retain some, but also it would mean a guy like Sheary and a pick and likely a depth winger is going the other way.

Sheary, 1st, Wilson for Staal with 17% retained, worth it?

The team:

Guentzel, Crosby, Sprong
Hagelin, Malkin, Kessel
Rust, Staal, Hornqvist
Kuhnhackl, Rowney, Reaves/Archibald

Dumoulin, Letang
Maatta, Schultz
Cole, Hunwick

Murray
Niemi

Good enough for 3 in a row?

Staal would be that guy that can be a 2nd/3rd tweener.

Even with that line-up, JR would have enough to give Cullen a 1yr deal at around 1-1.5m.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Yes...

To be fair he actually ended up with worse wingers for a lot of his time in Carolina.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I would rather dissect Wilson's game for 2 straight weeks than talk about Staal. But what can ya do? End of summer.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
This probably doesn't go here, but I don't know where it goes. Phil's cup pics got me thinking about why we don't see as many of the iconic "Kessel" goals, blazing down the right side in Pittsburgh. I think there are a couple factors behind this, but the main one may be that he's starting far more often in the O zone than in the D zone than when he was in Toronto. So he can't exactly blaze down the right side when he's starting off at a standstill in the O zone. Obviously I think there are other things going on, such as the defensive responsibility of wingers in MS's system to collapse down a little more to protect our D. But in general, there's just not as many opportunities to go the other way with speed with his current deployment. As a team that bled shots, I suppose TOR had a lot more D zone faceoffs than O zone during those years:

Year Ozone / Dzone
2012-TOR 48.8 / 51.2
2013-TOR 44.4 / 55.6
2014-TOR 52 / 48
2015-PIT 64.7 / 35.3
2016-PIT 63.8 / 36.2

A ton of his 37 goals in 2013-14 start out with his line in the D zone, and coming up with speed and space:

So as long as he's with Geno, we're just not going to see those goals much. If we deploy him on more of a two-way third line, then we probably will again, especially if he's opposite Hags.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He shoots the puck less and his shooting percentage has been 10% or lower for the last three seasons. Last season saw him take a shot total more in line with what he did in Boston.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What I learned from that video is that I really want JVR haha. Bozak is great with Kessel, but damn JVR was huge on a lot of those goals. Planting his ass in front and moving the puck backwards to Kessel sneaking down into the high slot.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
To be fair he actually ended up with worse wingers for a lot of his time in Carolina.

He would have had a career year last year if it wasn't for a concussion with Stempniak and Skinner.

3rd best in face offs in the league in terms of centers actually taking as many faceoffs as him. Killed possession numbers, killer production short handed.

Anyone arguing that Jordan Staal isn't at least a #2 center on most teams is kidding themselves. He is a lock for around 20 goals and around 50 points while playing the toughest minutes on his team

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Michael Russo who is close with Cullen said today he thinks the Cullen decision will happen pretty soon(made it sound like any day now)

Russo said he thinks Cullen is leaning towards playing another year, Cullen has apparently been training every day in Minnesota which would suggest hes planning on playing.

He also said his gut tells him will go back to the pens over Minnesota.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Michael Russo who is close with Cullen said today he thinks the Cullen decision will happen pretty soon(made it sound like any day now)

Russo said he thinks Cullen is leaning towards playing another year, Cullen has apparently been training every day in Minnesota which would suggest hes planning on playing.

He also said his gut tells him will go back to the pens over Minnesota.

That's great news and kinda what I expected and heard as well. Let's hope he comes to his senses and realizes his fit on the Pens, his importance to the team etc all provide him better hockey options than Minn. just don't see him fitting as well there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad