BCS scenario discussion

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Ok, total projection here, but I was thinking in the car what's the nightmare POSSIBLE outcome for the selection crew. I say possible, because I discount Clemson losing. They won't.

But if tOSU and LSU lose, that would put Clemson and Georgia in for sure. If Utah win, that would put Utah, tOSU, LSU and the winner of Oklahoma/Baylor with 1 loss each. Do you say, "eye test" and put in tOSU and LSU and tell the Pac12 and Big12 that their titles mean nothing or put in the conference champs and give them credit for winning their Power conference?

member 51464

Maybe we need something ugly to get to an 8 team playoff. 5 winners of the power five conferences. Highest ranked non- power five team, and two at larges

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Maybe we need something ugly to get to an 8 team playoff. 5 winners of the power five conferences. Highest ranked non- power five team, and two at larges

My opinion, nothing 'ugly' is/was ever needed to expand the new playoff system. It opened w/4 teams, but there has always been a design/desire to progressively expand them. It's like the March Madness that has been incrementally expanding.
There was nothing really wrong with the old Bowl system, there's nothing wrong with the 4 team format, won't be anything wrong with an 8 team format.. but it'll keep growing in pursuit of complete (but impossible) fan satisfaction and profit. It's stupid, and asking more & more of the players.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Going to an 8 team playoff for this is a when not if IMO. Have your Power 5 conference winners plus the 3 highest ranked non power 5 conference winners.

member 51464

Going to an 8 team playoff for this is a when not if IMO. Have your Power 5 conference winners plus the 3 highest ranked non power 5 conference winners.
There is no way an 8 team playoff would have 3 non power 5 teams in it.

That would shut the door to things like a 2-bid SEC and would be a nonstarter

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

There is no way an 8 team playoff would have 3 non power 5 teams in it.

That would shut the door to things like a 2-bid SEC and would be a nonstarter

I think you're misunderstanding his statement. I'm reading it as the power 5 conference winners + the three highest ranked teams that are not a winner of a power 5 conference.

I'm surprised not to see anyone propose a 6 team playoff as the next step, though. In this scenario, I would have the top two teams with a bye in the 1st round.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think an eight team playoff is inevitable. Having five power conferences and four playoff spots didn't make much sense for me to begin with.

With regards to the nightmare scenario...

Utah beats Oregon
Georgia beats LSU
Wisconsin beats Ohio State
Clemson beats Virginia
Oklahoma beats Baylor (saying OU winning because they're currently ranked higher and have the "name brand")

Utah: 12-1, Pac-12 champ
Georgia: 12-1, SEC champ
LSU: 12-1, SEC champ loser
Ohio State: 12-1, Big Ten champ loser
Clemson: 13-0, ACC champ
Oklahoma: 12-1, Big 12 champ

I think Alabama and the Big 12 loser are done regardless. I don't think Wisconsin has any chance of getting in even if they blow out OSU. I can't see Clemson getting in with a loss to Virginia.

If those six are the teams that are there for four spots, I think Utah and Oklahoma get left out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
An 8-team playoff is inevitable because it’s going to make everyone a ton of money. There’s just the logistical element that has to be worked out, as the NFL has taken over that Saturday before Christmas, and they need to keep the major bowls important in order to keep getting money from them.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
An 8-team playoff is inevitable because it’s going to make everyone a ton of money. There’s just the logistical element that has to be worked out, as the NFL has taken over that Saturday before Christmas, and they need to keep the major bowls important in order to keep getting money from them.

Well, that too.

Just imagine an eight team playoff with:

Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Ohio State, Penn State, Oklahoma, Clemson

Man... the ratings...

(And yes, I think a 12-1 Utah would still get left out in this scenario.)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well, that too.

Just imagine an eight team playoff with:

Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Ohio State, Penn State, Oklahoma, Clemson

Man... the ratings...

(And yes, I think a 12-1 Utah would still get left out in this scenario.)

I would do 3 things that would protect from human elements from playing too big of a factor, in-effect making automatic qualifiers

-11 wins from power 5’s, 12 from non-powers (must win conference), but winning conference is not automatic qualifier.

-Must beat an out-of-conference team that had at least 9 wins the previous OR current year (not a huge ask, can make it 10), or 10 from a non-power. Does not include FCS.

Conference Championship games would have less meaning, there can be extra rules made around that.

Discretion goes to the committee on seeding and if there’s too few or too many qualifiers, although this should still outline at least 6 teams to get in on their own merit and at the very least improves out-of-conference play.

Last edited:

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Problem ultimately is that these teams don't play the same schedules and conference strength is real even if we don't like it. The PAC-12 has a pretty good habit of beating itself up which makes it interesting from a competitive standpoint, but weakens its strength compared to the other conferences. You won't have an undefeated PAC-12 team basically.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
The Pac-12 also plays nine conference games compared to eight for the ACC and SEC. The Big Ten and Big 12 recently went to nine. Everyone played every other team when it was the Pac-10, and they kept the nine conference games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad