TV: Batwoman (CW) - season 2

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
If only they could find someone who could act to play batwoman.

They only pick her because she just so happens to be gay. Just because batwoman is actually gay in the comics doesnt mean you need an actual gay actor. Last I checked Rami Malek is straight and he absolutely nailed playing Freddie mercury.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Ruby Rose sucks. If you're hinging your show on being carried by a bad lead, you're already behind the 8-ball. Especially the CW shows. Each one basically only goes as far as its lead can carry it (except Legends of Tomorrow because it's an ensemble show.). I just can't decide if she's getting overshadowed by Dougray Scott's horrific attempt to hide his Scottish accent.

Reactions: Blitzkrug

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Ruby Rose sucks. If you're hinging your show on being carried by a bad lead, you're already behind the 8-ball. Especially the CW shows. Each one basically only goes as far as its lead can carry it (except Legends of Tomorrow because it's an ensemble show.). I just can't decide if she's getting overshadowed by Dougray Scott's horrific attempt to hide his Scottish accent.

This show reeks of trying to pander instead of standing on its own two legs. Dead giveaway is how the trailer focuses on the fact she's a lesbian. "HEY LOOK AT HOW GAY SHE IS"

What DC did right with Batwoman imo in the comics and animated films is the fact they acknowledge the fact that yes, she is gay but it's not all her character is. It's more focused on her relationship with her dad and becoming one with the batfamily.

This is just garbage and people will predictably eat it up.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yikes. I guess you have to view TV different from movies, but that looks irredeemably awful.

There is zero reason to cast Ruby Rose unless you're going for looks, she's an absolutely awful actress. Considering they're leaning in hard to her being lesbian and just being very PC in general, not sure what audience they're trying to capture with that decision.

Brutal dialogue and delivery, stock sound effects, and, while it doesn't concern the show, that trailer was edited in an absolute bizarre way.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yikes. I guess you have to view TV different from movies, but that looks irredeemably awful.

There is zero reason to cast Ruby Rose unless you're going for looks, she's an absolutely awful actress. Considering they're leaning in hard to her being lesbian and just being very PC in general, not sure what audience they're trying to capture with that decision.

Brutal dialogue and delivery, stock sound effects, and, while it doesn't concern the show, that trailer was edited in an absolute bizarre way.

People will watch it for the exact reason you stated in the second part of your post.

For context; i have two gay friends (had i guess) both of which are huge superhero fans/buffs.

The one is gaga for Ruby Rose and will no longer talk to me because i straight up said this looks like pandering and not trying to be something of it's own worth like Arrow and Flash were as shows.

The other (also a chick) absolutely despises the fact they led in with the lesbian **** being front in center when Batwoman is actually an interesting part of DC's universe but instead chopped her down to be one dimensional.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
You know rather than "pandering" I think at this point they're just straight up trolling :laugh:. They have their market already, showing it like they are is predictably going to rile a lot of people up on the internet who aren't their target audience which is just going to get it a ton of extra publicity.

It's like we've come full circle and it's these types of trailers that need the "trigger warning" on them.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
You know rather than "pandering" I think at this point they're just straight up trolling :laugh:. They have their market already, showing it like they are is predictably going to rile a lot of people up on the internet who aren't their target audience which is just going to get it a ton of extra publicity.

It's like we've come full circle and it's these types of trailers that need the "trigger warning" on them.

That will work for the first little bit if that's truly their goal, but they better hope that show is watchable in the long run. Once the word gets out it tanks. I doubt that's their goal though since Supergirl didn't lean super hard on the whole "oh look i'm a woman and i must make it clear every 10 minutes." and neither did big ticket DC ventures like Wonder Woman.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
That will work for the first little bit if that's truly their goal, but they better hope that show is watchable in the long run. Once the word gets out it tanks. I doubt that's their goal though since Supergirl didn't lean super hard on the whole "oh look i'm a woman and i must make it clear every 10 minutes." and neither did big ticket DC ventures like Wonder Woman.

Sure I could be wrong but Supergirl kicked off in 2015 and Wonder Woman was 2017. While the sentiment was certainly around back in 2015 the shit show really kicked off after The Last Jedi, which came out months after Wonder Woman. I mean they don't really have to worry about 'quality' when Riverdale is in it's 4th season, they have their own market and they're good at feeding it.

So what it comes down to is this is just a trailer, look at the reaction it's getting, and stop and think just how god damn predictable the reactions are. Is the CW going more "SJW" than usual or is there a cynical producer intentionally going for the controversy to increase publicity. With how predictable this is the latter is bound to happen eventually, if it hasn't already been happening.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Fair points. I'm personally more annoyed that it's coming at the expense of an actually good character but that's just par for the course when it comes to DC properties at this point.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I enjoyed the pilot. Although I knew actor Ruby Rose and character Kate Kane are lesbians, and am not really hung up on it. It seems like a normal DC tv show, but without the “man hero woman helper” stereotype that some guys seem to require. Supergirl does well without it, I’m sure Batwoman will too.

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad