Basketball cards

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Does anyone still collect basketball cards here? I've been out of it for the last 15+ years, but recently decided to look into buying again, but it seems like the market for basketball cards have exploded to just an absolutely insane level. Just doing some quick research and it looks like Panini is the sole manufacturer of basketball cards, but all of their retail packs/boxes are so expensive. A few hundred bucks for a box that consists of a few packs? Some boxes even going for thousands of dollars? That seems a bit insane.

Back then, I could buy a decent pack for $5-$10 (CDN), and the average box of 24 packs would sell for $150-$300. Are there any basketball cards that sell for something that the average person can afford?

KBstyle

Aug 3, 2005
Same boat here, this is crazy, the re-sell value is ridiculous. It look like early 90' over again but instead of printing a tons of card, now you have a tons of product. I probably buy a Donruss hobby box or an Optic one from Panini website if I can get one but there's no way I pay the price on ebay. Personally I still prefer the non shinny card, look more vintage.

You better buy the player you like from ebay if you can because even those are crazy.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Does anyone still collect basketball cards here? I've been out of it for the last 15+ years, but recently decided to look into buying again, but it seems like the market for basketball cards have exploded to just an absolutely insane level. Just doing some quick research and it looks like Panini is the sole manufacturer of basketball cards, but all of their retail packs/boxes are so expensive. A few hundred bucks for a box that consists of a few packs? Some boxes even going for thousands of dollars? That seems a bit insane.

Back then, I could buy a decent pack for $5-$10 (CDN), and the average box of 24 packs would sell for $150-$300. Are there any basketball cards that sell for something that the average person can afford?
the 19-20 sets were expensive because of zion and morant immediately playing at a high level and it being clear that they are future stars

this year's NFL sets are through the roof as well because you have guys like burrow, tua, herbert, and lamb who are doing the same. the price of those hobby boxes basically relies on how high profile the rookies entering the league are and how they're expected to perform, as well as how they eventually end up performing

a box of panini certified football sells for around $250 these days. in most other seasons, that same set goes for just above $100

Reactions: Taylors lost step

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad