Review: BASE Hockey "Nasty" OPS

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
Hey jarick, im coming from a p88, id like to try the bc28, is it hard to adjust to? I shoot with the toe so it shouldn't be too hard to get used to right? Thanks.

bhd1223

Oct 19, 2014
Louisville, KY
I know this is a really old thread, so please forgive me. I'm just curious how much you actually cut down the BASE intermediate. They list the height at 62" give or take a hair with a shaft length of 51 inches. This is the size my current cut down sticks are, though I would measure shaft length at 54 inches.

I'm still waiting to pick a flex but can't without knowing more real world sizing. I assume I won't be cutting at all based on the measurements provided however you say you are cutting. I'm just curious what you are cutting to, and how much off.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I know this is a really old thread, so please forgive me. I'm just curious how much you actually cut down the BASE intermediate. They list the height at 62" give or take a hair with a shaft length of 51 inches. This is the size my current cut down sticks are, though I would measure shaft length at 54 inches.

I'm still waiting to pick a flex but can't without knowing more real world sizing. I assume I won't be cutting at all based on the measurements provided however you say you are cutting. I'm just curious what you are cutting to, and how much off.

The last BASE inter that I bought was a Nasty and it measured 62-3/4" total. The shaft size that they give is from the top to the fusion point, which is less than from the top to the heel of the blade. The fusion point is around 4" from the heel of the blade. The reason I know is because the first BASE sticks that I bought were 2-piece. So the shaft length that they state is the actual shaft length if you bought just the shaft.

bhd1223

Oct 19, 2014
Louisville, KY
So you would speculate that I shouldn't need to cut off more than an inch, maybe even less than a 1/2 inch depending on blade? Maybe safe to assume I wouldn't be adding more than 5 flex?

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
So you would speculate that I shouldn't need to cut off more than an inch, maybe even less than a 1/2 inch depending on blade? Maybe safe to assume I wouldn't be adding more than 5 flex?

That would be a good assumption. But first you would have to know how stiff each of BASE's flex ratings feels like to begin with. Are you near a BASE fitting centre?

bhd1223

Oct 19, 2014
Louisville, KY
Unfortunately not. I've tried to coordinate a "remote" fitting through email with pictures and descriptions but it's been about two weeks with no response to the closest fitting people, after a couple days of phone calls and emails trying to figure out the best way to go about it. I sent what was asked, so I'm not sure what the holdup is.

I'm about to just be done with it and maybe not even try one of their sticks, but the curiosity is keeping me for now. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll be able to catch a remote fitting at some point in the future, though it sounded like that wouldn't be till the end of this year at the soonest.

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Read through this thread, decided I'll give these guys a shot.

Shooting analysis tomorrow at 7:00pm :) Worst case scenario it'll be sweet to see my shot in super slow mo.

bhd1223

Oct 19, 2014
Louisville, KY
Read through this thread, decided I'll give these guys a shot.

Shooting analysis tomorrow at 7:00pm :) Worst case scenario it'll be sweet to see my shot in super slow mo.

Would love to hear how it went. If you want to not muddy up the post feel free to pm, if that's even an option on this forum.

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Would love to hear how it went. If you want to not muddy up the post feel free to pm, if that's even an option on this forum.

Went well! Guy helping me seemed to know his stuff. Fitting lasted about 40 minutes before I ordered. Didn't feel rushed. Sampled 3 different patterns. Tried lots of stick handling, shooting, and the guy passed it around with me. High speed camera is EXTREMELY useful for determining correct flex and lie.

Totally worth the $60 fee, I never would have bought a stick with this pattern in stores. The guy helping me noticed how I handle the puck close to the toe of my blade and hooked me up with more of a toe curve than I'm used to. Keeps the puck from rolling off the toe. Felt like a couldn't lose the puck performing a toe drag even if I wanted to. Snap-shot accuracy was bang on as well.

St. Albert, AB, CAN location if anyone is wondering.

Here's what I ordered:

SuperNatural
BC28 (same as Jarick interestingly enough)
Lie 5
110 Flex (I'm 6'4, 240lbs)
2" added to the shaft (only need 1", but he recommended to ad an extra inch and cut down because different blade patterns can alter the overall height of the stick)
Polar Fibre grip (feels like an HDMI cable! Loved it, hoping it's not too hard on the gloves)
Shark Skin blade

Have to wait 3-4 weeks to pick it up, that's the only drawback. If I like it, I'll make sure to order a couple more ahead of time.

Overall, I would definitely recommend. Even if you don't buy a stick, the fitting is very useful. $60 dollars isn't much in the grand scheme of things if it helps you figure out what flex, pattern, and lie is optimal for you.

Last edited:

bhd1223

Oct 19, 2014
Louisville, KY
Went well! Guy helping me seemed to know his stuff. Fitting lasted about 40 minutes before I ordered. Didn't feel rushed. Sampled 3 different patterns. Tried lots of stick handling, shooting, and the guy passed it around with me. High speed camera is EXTREMELY useful for determining correct flex and lie.

Totally worth the $60 fee, I never would have bought a stick with this pattern in stores. The guy helping me noticed how I handle the puck close to the toe of my blade and hooked me up with more of a toe curve than I'm used to. Keeps the puck from rolling off the toe. Felt like a couldn't lose the puck performing a toe drag even if I wanted to. Snap-shot accuracy was bang on as well.

St. Albert, AB, CAN location if anyone is wondering.

Here's what I ordered:

SuperNatural
BC28 (same as Jarick interestingly enough)
Lie 5
110 Flex (I'm 6'4, 240lbs)
2" added to the shaft (only need 1", but he recommended to ad an extra inch and cut down because different blade patterns can alter the overall height of the stick)
Polar Fibre grip (feels like an HDMI cable! Loved it, hoping it's not too hard on the gloves)
Shark Skin blade

Have to wait 3-4 weeks to pick it up, that's the only drawback. If I like it, I'll make sure to order a couple more ahead of time.

Overall, I would definitely recommend. Even if you don't buy a stick, the fitting is very useful. $60 dollars isn't much in the grand scheme of things if it helps you figure out what flex, pattern, and lie is optimal for you.

Whenever the stick makes it to your hands I'd be very interested in hearing how accurate you feel the flex is. I'd be getting the Supernatural as well but have only seen "flex accuracy" mentioned on the Nasty reviews.

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Whenever the stick makes it to your hands I'd be very interested in hearing how accurate you feel the flex is. I'd be getting the Supernatural as well but have only seen "flex accuracy" mentioned on the Nasty reviews.

I tried a two-piece version of it in the fitting (easier to experiment with different blades), liked the shaft because it reminded me of the old blue Synergy ST I have. The 110 flex on the Supernatural in the fitting felt similar to the 110 flex I have on that Synergy. Also felt about the same weight to me.

I think this is due to the fact that the Supernatural has a more square shaft. It's also got a bit of weight to it, not saying its a brick by any means but it actually feels like you have something in your hands. I find that super light models with low kick points feel flimsy to me, this stick feels sturdy. Might actually feel a tad stiffer than the flex rating, depending on what brand/model you are using as a reference point.

Will let you know how it feels when I get it, assuming (hoping) its the same.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
I picked up a Base Nasty a few months ago too. The fitting was great, and as mentioned above the guy knew his stuff and helped me out with a few things I could do better. Coming from an Easton RSII the 85 flex is identical although a slightly higher kickpoint. Shots are more accurate and it definitely feels like I have a quicker release.

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I tried a two-piece version of it in the fitting (easier to experiment with different blades), liked the shaft because it reminded me of the old blue Synergy ST I have. The 110 flex on the Supernatural in the fitting felt similar to the 110 flex I have on that Synergy. Also felt about the same weight to me.

I think this is due to the fact that the Supernatural has a more square shaft. It's also got a bit of weight to it, not saying its a brick by any means but it actually feels like you have something in your hands. I find that super light models with low kick points feel flimsy to me, this stick feels sturdy. Might actually feel a tad stiffer than the flex rating, depending on what brand/model you are using as a reference point.

Will let you know how it feels when I get it, assuming (hoping) its the same.

Have used my Supernatural for 2 games now, 8 goals so I suppose I can't complain (definitely some luck involved).

The 110 flex feels bang on and I am loving the Polar Fibre grip. The 5.0 lie also feels correct. Love the kickpoint on this thing.

The BC28 curve is excellent although coming from a very straight blade I am still adjusting on my backhand.

Also like how the stick feels sturdy. Has taken a couple whacks and appears to be pretty resilient.

bhd1223

Oct 19, 2014
Louisville, KY
Have used my Supernatural for 2 games now, 8 goals so I suppose I can't complain (definitely some luck involved).

The 110 flex feels bang on and I am loving the Polar Fibre grip. The 5.0 lie also feels correct. Love the kickpoint on this thing.

The BC28 curve is excellent although coming from a very straight blade I am still adjusting on my backhand.

Also like how the stick feels sturdy. Has taken a couple whacks and appears to be pretty resilient.

Thanks. Sounds great. I really want a fitting so I think I'm going to wait for them to do a mobile fitting trip near my area. Sounded like it could be coming later this year from some emails I had with BASE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad