Player Discussion: Barzal Fined for Diving/Embellishment

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Peculiar move by the NHL for all the fouls that are not called on him. If this is the case, then Mathew should wear it proud since Gretzky used to dive too. But more times than not, he would get the call. I think the Isles need to hire Bill Barber and work on their techniques better, from what I see around the league, there are teams interfering and getting away with it, and some players are better at drawing penalties than others.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I’m in Barzal, my first call is to the NHLPA.

What a terrible way to lose 2k. Could have bought some TSLA or GME calls and been happier losing it

Reactions: bigtim1988

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I know it isn't what we want to see, but i'm wondering if he is going to start responding like McDavid has and add a little Muay Thai to his game ...

We do gripe about Barzal's discipline and taking poor penalties but maybe he needs to dish it out a little too, when appropriate. Many of his penalties are pointless. If he's going to go in the box, may as well get his piece of flesh.

Of course, McDavid plays at a 120 point pace, so he gets a pass to defend himself.

The amount of abuse Barzal takes is ridiculous. All of this talk about "playing heavy" but maybe what we really need is a guy who will be his security. Could you stomach Eberle getting slotted elsewhere or traded if we could get another 25 goal scorer who doesn't take shit?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I know it isn't what we want to see, but i'm wondering if he is going to start responding like McDavid has and add a little Muay Thai to his game ...

We do gripe about Barzal's discipline and taking poor penalties but maybe he needs to dish it out a little too, when appropriate. Many of his penalties are pointless. If he's going to go in the box, may as well get his piece of flesh.

Of course, McDavid plays at a 120 point pace, so he gets a pass to defend himself.

The amount of abuse Barzal takes is ridiculous. All of this talk about "playing heavy" but maybe what we really need is a guy who will be his security. Could you stomach Eberle getting slotted elsewhere or traded if we could get another 25 goal scorer who doesn't take shit?

I'd love to see him add that element to his game, not necessarily taking penalties, but being more physical in general. Sign me up for a guy who can put the puck in the net and also cave someone's face in. There aren't many of those guys around though. Lee is close, but he's not an intimidating fighter.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I'd love to see him add that element to his game, not necessarily taking penalties, but being more physical in general. Sign me up for a guy who can put the puck in the net and also cave someone's face in. There aren't many of those guys around though. Lee is close, but he's not an intimidating fighter.

Yeah, I am not exactly a proponent for Barzal doing that, but I think part of the reason he is doing it is because he doesn't have enough muscle on his wing, especially with Lee absent. Plus, Lee is imposing but a nice guy.

Easier said than done, but I'm thinking of players like Tuch or Wood. Eberle may have finesse, but if there is a guy out there with similar goal scoring ability who would play more of a Power Forward game, I think it could give Barzal some breathing room.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
If you need any more proof of the NHL and refs not treating Barzal the way they treat McDavid and Crosby and Ovechkin and Matthews, there it is. The guy gets cross checked, elbowed, held, high sticked more than anyone I have ever seen, barely ever gets called. And if one time he might slightly embellish it, he gets publicly called out by the league. How many fines for this have there even been this year, I dont remember seeing many, if any.

Reactions: Tres Peleches

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah, I am not exactly a proponent for Barzal doing that, but I think part of the reason he is doing it is because he doesn't have enough muscle on his wing, especially with Lee absent. Plus, Lee is imposing but a nice guy.

Easier said than done, but I'm thinking of players like Tuch or Wood. Eberle may have finesse, but if there is a guy out there with similar goal scoring ability who would play more of a Power Forward game, I think it could give Barzal some breathing room.

I like Tuch's game a lot whenever I see him play. Eberle plays small and is very one dimensional. When he first came here it looked like he was try to shed that reputation a bit, unfortunately he reverted back. I don't think he's as bad as was advertised and I still like him as a player, he just doesn't provide any physical presence at all. I think Barzal is actually more physical.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I like Tuch's game a lot whenever I see him play. Eberle plays small and is very one dimensional. When he first came here it looked like he was try to shed that reputation a bit, unfortunately he reverted back. I don't think he's as bad as was advertised and I still like him as a player, he just doesn't provide any physical presence at all. I think Barzal is actually more physical.

Agreed on all points. Just to clarify, I understand there are only a handful of good power forward types and the cost via trade is likely prohibitive.

As an organization, we should be drafting accordingly.... unless a guy is the clear BPA, I think they should consider the makeup of the team and getting players that compliment our current young core of Barzal, Beauvillier, Dobson, Wahlstrom, etc.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Are they saying he took the stick and held it onto himself to make it look like a hook? That’s the only thing that makes any semblance of sense to me here
That’s what I imagine and what bothers me. There are countless cases of far worse embellishments rhat happen that don’t get penalized (either in game or out of it)

so what makes that this special?

Reactions: impaaaaaact

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Forgive me if there is one, but I searched one via the search function and couldn’t find one and I’m too lazy to manually look

Barzy got fined for diving. Kid can’t catch a break from the Refs or the league. My question is when do they start fining referees for letting him get dragged around like a rag doll by his opponents

Sorry to say, Barzal is 100 a whiny player. He needs to stop

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Sorry to say, Barzal is 100 a whiny player. He needs to stop

Maybe he's whiny because he never gets calls? Not advocating for crying to the refs but it is bullshit how other players get more than him.

Star players getting calls over grinders or rookies is the dumbest f***ing thing in sports. I hate it across the board, a penalty is a penalty no matter who took it or drew it.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
If you need any more proof of the NHL and refs not treating Barzal the way they treat McDavid and Crosby and Ovechkin and Matthews, there it is. The guy gets cross checked, elbowed, held, high sticked more than anyone I have ever seen, barely ever gets called. And if one time he might slightly embellish it, he gets publicly called out by the league. How many fines for this have there even been this year, I dont remember seeing many, if any.

Agree.

And we get the fewest calls in the league and have since Trotz has been here.

Berube publicly called out the officials earlier this year for penalizing their style of play. Hmm

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’m trying to see the dive. I just can’t see it. He’s being hooked and turning in an odd position. Maybe his reputation as a great skater is what hurts him here? Idk. To me that’s not a dive.

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)
I’m trying to see the dive. I just can’t see it. He’s being hooked and turning in an odd position. Maybe his reputation as a great skater is what hurts him here? Idk. To me that’s not a dive.

I agree, although his hand was on the defenders stick which could be the reason the NHL thought it was a dive. The stick looks like it got caught on Barzal and took him down. Didn't see any embellishment at all.

Reactions: SI90

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Maybe he's whiny because he never gets calls? Not advocating for crying to the refs but it is bullshit how other players get more than him.

Star players getting calls over grinders or rookies is the dumbest f***ing thing in sports. I hate it across the board, a penalty is a penalty no matter who took it or drew it.

Unless it's Tom Wilson, then f*** him.

Reactions: MJF and SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad