Staples Twitter: Barry Trotz Interview

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Just putting this out there on a mid-August day...

I'm one of those who feels Trotz IS the replacement for Tavares, so to speak. He's our new star and the guy who can single-handidly make the biggest impact on this franchise over the next three years.

I think he'll have a system of responsible defensive-zone play in place and I think the goalie coaches will have both Lehner and Greiss adding .018 points to their save percentage and easily cutting their GAAs to below 2.90.

That said, I do see more of a "scoring by committee" approach coming and I think a lot of our scorers from last season will see their stats drop considerably.

But so what?

Is not something like the following more than enough to be a playoff team if the Trotz-influenced points above materialize?

DMEN:
Leddy 8-33-41, Boychuk 3-14-17
Hickey 2-17-19, Pulock 14-22-36
Pelech 2-12-14, Mayfield 3-9-12
Aho 1-5-6, Toews 3-8-11
Rathgeb 1-3-4, Wotherspoon 0-1-1
Burroughs 0-0-0

CENTERS:
Barzal 16-46-62
Nelson 22-14-36
Filppula 8-17-25
Kovar 8-14-22
Cizikas 3-11-14
Eansor 1-0-1
Stevens 0-1-1

WINGERS:
Beauvillier 34-21-55
Bailey 14-37-51
Eberle 18-29-47
Lee 24-14-38
Ho-Sang 6-21-27
Ladd 11-14-25
Clutterbuck 9-11-20
Komarov 7-13-20
Kuhnhackl 5-12-17
Martin 4-9-13
Fritz 2-4-6
Johnston 1-5-6
Bellows 4-1-5
Lorito 1-1-2
C. Bourque 0-2-2
Dal Colle 0-1-1
Koivula 0-0-0

Granted, we're talking about slipping into the playoffs in spot 8.

I don’t get it, are the isles top 6 forwards and top 4 dmen only playing 60 games this up coming season?

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I'm thinking that we'll have to assume that Boychuk will miss his 20+ games this season.

He was operated on after the season. I don't know how much that will fix up what he's been suffering from in recent years (leg/knee problems).

Yet if he is, that'll open the door to see more of Aho and Toews.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Honestly was very surprised that he parted ways with the caps after winning the cup, however it also tells a lot about his character and the sheer will he had to play through/coach through during those times, because essentially he was being kind of groomed to leave. His book selection by an ex-marine I believe regarding will power must have been damn powerful because he coached knowing his time, was fairly limited. I am looking forward to see how he coaches you guys now that he has that stability in his hands, and more of a grip of what he can and can't do.

I am hoping Barzal and he get along, seems like they are similar mentality in dealing with things. On paper it feels like it would be a match made in heaven but it doesn't always work out like that, so heres hoping.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Honestly was very surprised that he parted ways with the caps after winning the cup, however it also tells a lot about his character and the sheer will he had to play through/coach through during those times, because essentially he was being kind of groomed to leave. His book selection by an ex-marine I believe regarding will power must have been damn powerful because he coached knowing his time, was fairly limited. I am looking forward to see how he coaches you guys now that he has that stability in his hands, and more of a grip of what he can and can't do.

I am hoping Barzal and he get along, seems like they are similar mentality in dealing with things. On paper it feels like it would be a match made in heaven but it doesn't always work out like that, so heres hoping.
If he left the Caps because he wanted a new challenge, he found it!

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Just picture this. Pulock in the Ovechkin spot on the circle waiting for one timers on the PP. With that shot either he A)scores a beauty B)hurts the goalie or C) scores a beauty
I like it but you forgot:

D) All of the above.

Reactions: Quicklime

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Just picture this. Pulock in the Ovechkin spot on the circle waiting for one timers on the PP. With that shot either he A)scores a beauty B)hurts the goalie or C) scores a beauty

I sure as hell wouldn't want Anders Lee to be on that PP.

Have no problem with it being, say, Nelson on the 2nd PP unit.:sarcasm:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I had to google "whole ass meal". :wally:

That's a pretty groovy expression, whippersnappers.

Reactions: seabass45

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Trotz is going to be great for the Isles team, and for the Isles players in general.

One thing I notice about him, is players have career defining seasons under his coaching. This will auger well for players like Barzal, and for players like Ladd and Komarov who will bounce back.

I have seen in the past how a good coach can have not only a positive effect on a team's record, but on a player's season.

This to me is Trotz's greatest talent.

Reactions: dood

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
I have seen in the past how a good coach can have not only a positive effect on a team's record, but on a player's season.
And on the fans. Have been watching this H of F bound coach walking out on the ice at the Barclays Center from the visitors' room all too often. I look forward to seeing him cross the ice from the home team's room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad