News Article: Barroway to relinquish role as majority owner

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/barroway-to-relinquish-role-as-coyotes-majority-owner-061515

A philosophical difference in the financial direction of the team has led IceArizona to buy back some of Barroway's shares. The process has been in the works since the end of last season and should be completed soon, perhaps as soon as this week. Barroway is expected to own more shares than any other member and retain his title as governor, but he will not have controlling interest.

Speculation... did Barroway think twice about spending more money on this year's budget?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Good timing. All the attention is on the Arena dust up. Finally a PR department that knows what it is doing.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Pretty sure Barroway wanted lean and full rebuild, and lost out to the appeasement folks.

pfp

Sep 4, 2007
Considering these developments I have zero doubt that his majority share was nothing more than a plan to get better financing and he is not moving to the "true" share originally agreed upon with IA.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Pretty sure Barroway wanted lean and full rebuild, and lost out to the appeasement folks.

Speculation on your part.

Considering these developments I have zero doubt that his majority share was nothing more than a plan to get better financing and he is not moving to the "true" share originally agreed upon with IA.

Again, pure speculation.

I think it has to do with the COG trying to cancel the lease. COG might think that Barroway is loaded and would be more willing to negotiate, and maybe Barroway is just being cautious if the COG does somehow prevails. Again, speculation on my part as well.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Where are you getting that information?

When he first came on, all the talk was about how "lean" things might have to be for a few years. And of course we know how the talk went from 4-5 year rebuild to "we will compete next year."

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
I guess He didn't have as much money as We were told. Or He wasn't willing to put as much in to the Team as We were led to believe.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It just means he doesn't want his name out in front of his hobby that's getting negative attention when his actual business also relies on his name. Let LeBlanc get in front of cameras and file lawsuits. Barroway wanted to buy a toy, not negative attention.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Let LeBlanc get in front of cameras and file lawsuits. Barroway wanted to buy a toy, not negative attention.
Explains why LeBlanc has occasionally been terse, lately. All along, Barroway has ostensibly been the majority owner/head honcho, yet it's LeBlanc who gets to answer all the questions. If I were LeBlanc, I'd be terse too, especially since he has his own reputation to consider.

The whole thing is beyond disgusting. At this point, I don't want to give ANYONE--Glendale, Barroway, IA, the NHL--any more of my money.

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
Explains why LeBlanc has occasionally been terse, lately. All along, Barroway has ostensibly been the majority owner/head honcho, yet it's LeBlanc who gets to answer all the questions. If I were LeBlanc, I'd be terse too, especially since he has his own reputation to consider.

The whole thing is beyond disgusting. At this point, I don't want to give ANYONE--Glendale, Barroway, IA, the NHL--any more of my money.

Not so sure about "terse". Verbose, if anything. LeBlanc has been going off. Barroway is silent.

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
It just means he doesn't want his name out in front of his hobby that's getting negative attention when his actual business also relies on his name. Let LeBlanc get in front of cameras and file lawsuits. Barroway wanted to buy a toy, not negative attention.

Yes. There's likely more, but this is what I'm smelling too.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Again, pure speculation.

I think it has to do with the COG trying to cancel the lease. COG might think that Barroway is loaded and would be more willing to negotiate, and maybe Barroway is just being cautious if the COG does somehow prevails. Again, speculation on my part as well.

...except they've been going through this process since the end of the season, long before the CoG blindsided the team with the vote.

I'm in the camp that thinks Barroway was a temporary white knight to get the financing in place.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
As long as the team is in Arizona and Don Maloney has a reasonable budget, that's all I'm really looking for.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
...except they've been going through this process since the end of the season, long before the CoG blindsided the team with the vote.

I'm in the camp that thinks Barroway was a temporary white knight to get the financing in place.

That's what they say. I guess we may never know.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It was 51 to 30

This happened so fast, I have to believe it was just to get the better financing secured. If he was the 51% owner, why would there be a problem with him not agreeing on anything? He had the power to do things the way he wanted. I bet they just through that story out there as a cover and this was the plan all along after the financing was reset. The truth will come out eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad