Barroway Led Buyout of Minority Owners - Deal to Close Jun 12

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
Anyone else think

Since IA always promised to stay committed to the Phoenix market, this is the first step in moving? I don't recall Barroway making such claims or commitments

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Since IA always promised to stay committed to the Phoenix market, this is the first step in moving? I don't recall Barroway making such claims or commitments

He claimed commitment to Arizona on more than one occasion but words get you only so far.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

He claimed commitment to Arizona on more than one occasion but words get you only so far.

The NHL will have final say if the Coyotes can move or not. I believe the NHL told
Barroway, before he bought the majority from IA, that they are committed to Arizona.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The orginal crew was going nowhere fast. They simply couldn't handle the cost of their hobby. I'm not convinced Barroway will have any deeper pockets, but we're turning another page which I like. The league no doubt is thrilled to seal LeBlanc away from the limelight.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

The league's committed to AZ until it isn't. Their big play is to continue the paradigm of tax-subsidized sports. As soon as it's clear that will not happen, they'll move. Preserving the paradigm is worth more to them than having a team in AZ.
As soon as they have their ducks in a row one way or another, we'll see the depth of their commitment to the market (I don't think they have one).

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The NHL will have final say if the Coyotes can move or not. I believe the NHL told
Barroway, before he bought the majority from IA, that they are committed to Arizona.

Like I'vs said many times, the NHL determines if and when a team moves, not the owner. We will see another expansion fee paid and team added in the next few years. The coyotes are not going anywhere until at least after that happens.

It will be interesting to see what changes with Barroway in control.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
It will be interesting to see who his partners are.

There are two, as I mentioned before, very minor though.

No. Barroway is committed to the valley. He has moved his family (kids atleast) to a 7M home.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm fairly convinced the kid bagging my groceries would have done a better job getting out of his own way than IA ever did, so I'm thrilled. I hope against hope that Barroway is willing to eat the investment one would need to make to make this market work. That's a big chore, but it hasn't really been tried in recent history (arguably ever).
Even if he's just in it to flip it, I'd prefer the finality of it to the years on life support.

He has a low threshold to clear to become an improvement, either way.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Don't forget Dallas and Nashville... both don't have state tax on salaries and wages. If the Coyotes played on the reservation the players would still be subject to Arizona state income tax.

What would be interesting is if the reservation built an arena and then taxed players of both teams 5%. Would amount to over $3 million a year in income per league for the tribe.

I was unaware of TN and forgot about TX.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Jakey.... know your history ...... the league was claiming the Atlanta Thrashers weren't moving right to the day before they did.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I wonder if Barroway will play good cop to Ice Edge's bad cop and attempt to find common ground with Glendale or if it's still new arena or bust.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I wonder if Barroway will play good cop to Ice Edge's bad cop and attempt to find common ground with Glendale or if it's still new arena or bust.

They need a subsidy. Glendale isn't inclined to give one, not after they've tasted the current arrangement.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Jakey.... know your history ...... the league was claiming the Atlanta Thrashers weren't moving right to the day before they did.

You will probably know more than I, but I thought one of the concerns were the owners did not want a NHL team in Atlanta, or there were conflicts or something along those lines.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
You will probably know more than I, but I thought one of the concerns were the owners did not want a NHL team in Atlanta, or there were conflicts or something along those lines.

The group that owned and sold them wanted them out of their arena..... period.

Even if a local owner had stepped up the lease conditions would have made the original Coyotes lease at AWA look good.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Five days before announcing move of Thrashers:
"When Shultz asked Daly if he could guarantee the Thrashers would still be in Atlanta next season, Daly said, "Nope. I can't guarantee that."

Mind you, Daly did dismiss the many reports the Thrasher owners are already negotiating with True North and a move will be announced shortly.

"There is nothing that has been done, nothing has been planned and nothing has been scheduled," Daly said. "Certainly, no transaction has been agreed to, not that I'm aware of."

Four days:
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman addressed speculation about the*Atlanta Thrashers' ownership situation during his weekly radio show Thursday night

"I mean, people who are reporting on this stuff are simply making it up, and that's unfortunate for our fans. It's unfortunate for the fans who have a club they don't want to lose, and it's unfortunate for building up expectations in other places.

I think everybody needs to take a step back because I think there's been a fair amount of speculation, supposition and even hysteria in the media, which has been largely fabricated," Bettman said during the "NHL Hour With Commissioner Gary Bettman."

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
What I've always found absolutely bizarre during this whole saga is how much

"They could move" or "They might move" or "They probably will move"

...somehow have become...

"They should move" or "They must move" or "They definitely will move"... "...and I know this better than thou!"

I mean, they *always* might move, and perhaps they should and will, but the amount of wolf-crying (and some on both sides, to be sure) is ... :laugh: ... large.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Five days before announcing move of Thrashers:
"When Shultz asked Daly if he could guarantee the Thrashers would still be in Atlanta next season, Daly said, "Nope. I can't guarantee that."

Mind you, Daly did dismiss the many reports the Thrasher owners are already negotiating with True North and a move will be announced shortly.

"There is nothing that has been done, nothing has been planned and nothing has been scheduled," Daly said. "Certainly, no transaction has been agreed to, not that I'm aware of."

Four days:
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman addressed speculation about the*Atlanta Thrashers' ownership situation during his weekly radio show Thursday night

"I mean, people who are reporting on this stuff are simply making it up, and that's unfortunate for our fans. It's unfortunate for the fans who have a club they don't want to lose, and it's unfortunate for building up expectations in other places.

I think everybody needs to take a step back because I think there's been a fair amount of speculation, supposition and even hysteria in the media, which has been largely fabricated," Bettman said during the "NHL Hour With Commissioner Gary Bettman."

That was May 31st. So this would have to be the last week this could happen, right? MAYBE next week at the absolute latest?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad