Barrie

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Around 35 points. Give or take 5. He is lock to stay up, no doubt. 1 pp unit, maybe. Depends a little on how EJ does there and will they go with thousand forward pp again. I'd like to see him with EJ on pp even if both are RH.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I dont think we are sure on PP units yet but it looks like EJ, Barrie and Benoit will get PP time. I think Barrie and Benoit went together but I'm not certain. No chance Barrie goes down, he's been treated as in the top 4 the entire camp/preseason.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I have pegged around 35 points as well. But it really depends on how much we exceed my offensive expectations, since I see 35 points being his level if we're a bottom half offensive team.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
If our pp is good this year I can see him getting 30 + points, but I have a strange feeling benoit is going to lead our d in points this year.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
After the last few years, predicting point totals for our D is not even something you can accomplish with a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess)...it's just been futile to even make sense of.

I *hope* Barrie is second to EJ in points. He should be getting the even strength ice time and I like his outlet pass and think he has the ability to skate the puck up as well. Our forwards are so good (on paper) the dmen should be getting cherry points for that first outlet pass a lot as I would hope to see a bunch of goals on the rush and breakout. Of course the AVs forwards, dating back to the Sakic and Forsberg days even, always have had a tendency to overpass so that will negate some of those first passes by dmen but he still he should get plenty of chances to cash in off of those.

I believe that with the number and quality of offensive forwards the AVs have it will be possible Roy will end up using them at times on the first PP unit at points. I have a feeling Roy will give EJ an opportunity to be the #1 dman on the PP first but Barrie will most likely see second PP unit time.

I'd like to see 7 or 8 goals and 25ish assists. What I'm really hoping from him though is an increased defensive awareness and stronger work in the defensive zone more than anything. I am very big on Barrie and believe he will be a better dman than Elliott when all is said and done but there is room for growth here. I know it's a meaningless stat when looked at in isolation but only Zannon had a worse plus/minus rating on D last season.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
If our pp is good this year I can see him getting 30 + points, but I have a strange feeling benoit is going to lead our d in points this year.

Why do you think that? I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to understand. I have a feeling I'll be surprised by him when I finally get to see his play live...because of what I've read about him but I really don't know enough to predict how his season will unfold. I've kinda viewed our defensive depth as: EJ>Barrie>=Hejda>Wilson>everyone else. Wilson's health keeps him from surpassing folks in this list but I do believe if he could be fully healthy he'd be #2 on the team.

EJ kinda worries me though. I suppose at worst we have a good defensive dman in him and every team needs those but I really am hoping for a big year from him offensively as well.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I actually agree with avsfan9. Benoit is one of the top 4 no matter how the pairs shake out. He's going to be on one of the PP lines. Without looking up every single boxscore from the preseason I know off the top of my head he scored a goal in one game and had two assists against LA. At one time Roy said he'd be with Barrie, another with EJ. Now either of that may not happen but clearly Roy sees him as a top 4. I don't know why it's been assumed he is one of the 6th/7th defensemen on the team because I don't see any evidence to support that.

I do not see Wilson as the #2 at all. He didn't play with EJ at any point in camp (he played with Elliott a lot) and with him missing so much time it's going to be quite difficult to put him right on the top line. Plus he wasn't on the top line when Roy released those defensive pairings. Roy may have changed his mind by now but I doubt not playing moves Wilson up to the top pairing. I think Roy wants either someone very offensive (Benoit) or very defensive (Hejda) with EJ and is trying to figure that out.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I actually agree with avsfan9. Benoit is one of the top 4 no matter how the pairs shake out. He's going to be on one of the PP lines. Without looking up every single boxscore from the preseason I know off the top of my head he scored a goal in one game and had two assists against LA. At one time Roy said he'd be with Barrie, another with EJ. Now either of that may not happen but clearly Roy sees him as a top 4. I don't know why it's been assumed he is one of the 6th/7th defensemen on the team because I don't see any evidence to support that.

I do not see Wilson as the #2 at all. He didn't play with EJ at any point in camp (he played with Elliott a lot) and with him missing so much time it's going to be quite difficult to put him right on the top line. Plus he wasn't on the top line when Roy released those defensive pairings. Roy may have changed his mind by now but I doubt not playing moves Wilson up to the top pairing. I think Roy wants either someone very offensive (Benoit) or very defensive (Hejda) with EJ and is trying to figure that out.

I really hope he (Benoit) is all that. I really do. Like I said, I haven't been able to see any of his games so I can't judge him in any way, shape or form. I do think you are a bit harsh on Wilson though. Every time I think of him I have two visions in my head:
1. Slap shot from the left point on a rush hitting twine.
2. Either a big hip check coming back into the d-zone along the boards or a crushing open ice hit more in the center.
He's got good skill at both ends of the ice. He's not a world beater by any means but he's solid when healthy. Like Hishon, I have a feeling nobody will every get to know how good he could be...kinda sad.

As for Barrie...I still believe he'll be very solid offensively (although never really hitting lofty point totals.) I just want to see an increased presence in the d zone. I'd like to think of him one day being a solid option on the PK but he's not there yet.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011

He just seems to collect points, he probably is no where near ej, anf barrie skillwise but from the small sample size ive seen from pre season and with ottawa last year he just seem to make smart plays, gets shots through. Maybe hes just lucky but I think thats the key to playing d in the nhl, keeping it simple and not trying to do too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad