Waived: Barrett Jackman waived for buyout

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Granberg is kinda scary, but when I think about it he really wasn't much different than Jackman. You factor in that Granny is younger and hopefully improving for cheap, while Jackman is older and declining. When I look at it like that, I realize that Granny probably is the better option while still clearing a little more cap space.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
This move, combined with the Weber/Subban trade, suggests that Poile and the coaching staff are looking to be much more mobile/quicker on D than in prior years.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Is Jack Dougherty in the A this year? If so, he would be the first d call up I would presume. But like someone answered me in the trade forum, we will have just over $10 mill in cap space after these buyouts, not with Granberg or Jarnkrok resigned.

If we have Granberg at 675 or 700K and Jarnkrok at 2 million tops we're looking at around 7 and change or 8 mill left in cap space. If we're spending 5-6 on a forward and 1 to 2 on a defenseman or even less, we'll be close, but fine with the cap.

Looks like we are going to be a cap team, but this kind of goes against what Poile has said, wanting to have flexibility.

Perron could be a cheaper option around 3.5-4 million I would presume.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Looking at the defensemen that are available...

Yannick Weber
Adam Clendening
Stuart Percy
Ben Lovejoy
Jared Cowen
Patrick Wiercioch

All of these seem like cheap options that could fill in that 6th d spot.

Forwards look like this:

Andrew Ladd
Loui Eriksson
David Backes
Eric Staal
Thomas Vanek
Kris Versteeg
Mikkel Boedker
Michael Grabner
Mike Hoffman (RFA)
Lauri Korpikoski

Mileage may very on these forwards.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Is Jack Dougherty in the A this year? If so, he would be the first d call up I would presume.

I think it would be Elliott. Ads Roundtable suggested a Bitetto-Elliott 3rd pairing this year. I won't go that far but Elliott is the type of defenseman that Lavy would love.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
we saved 1.3 million against cap this year. added $667,000 next year. not really that much more room. and added a bit for next season. guess we will see if there is anything more. there's not always dominoes.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
we saved 1.3 million against cap this year. added $667,000 next year. not really that much more room. and added a bit for next season. guess we will see if there is anything more. there's not always dominoes.

When you are dealing with the least amount of cap space you've ever had, every little bit counts. There's just too much smoke for there not to be some fire.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
When you are dealing with the least amount of cap space you've ever had, every little bit counts. There's just too much smoke for there not to be some fire.

Wilson, smith, or ribeiro would actually make a difference. if you can't deal ribs, maybe look at dealing out smith or Wilson. buy out saves a little this year but we lose cap space next year. just seems counter productive if we are talking the difference in acquiring a lucic to a staal ect. I'll trust poile on this one.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Is Jack Dougherty in the A this year? If so, he would be the first d call up I would presume. But like someone answered me in the trade forum, we will have just over $10 mill in cap space after these buyouts, not with Granberg or Jarnkrok resigned.

If we have Granberg at 675 or 700K and Jarnkrok at 2 million tops we're looking at around 7 and change or 8 mill left in cap space. If we're spending 5-6 on a forward and 1 to 2 on a defenseman or even less, we'll be close, but fine with the cap.

Looks like we are going to be a cap team, but this kind of goes against what Poile has said, wanting to have flexibility.

Perron could be a cheaper option around 3.5-4 million I would presume.

I don't think Dougherty is ready at all. This will be his first full year in the pros.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Are-You-Not-Entertained-Gladiator.gif

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

Preds are in on Eriksson, Staal and Ladd. I truly believe one of these guys will be a Pred in the next few days. We will also add a depth D man.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
This move, combined with the Weber/Subban trade, suggests that Poile and the coaching staff are looking to be much more mobile/quicker on D than in prior years.

Yep. If we can get some mobility on the third pairing we will have a scary defense, even if the third pairing isn't exactly all that good. I think guys like Karlsson, Subban, Burns and Letang & Co. have really given GMs the idea that mobile defensemen who can get the puck up the ice for an offensive attack are the way to go moving forward.

I guess we will be testing out that old adage that the best defense is a good offense. This is a huge shift in philosophy from just three or four years ago, but I welcome it. We have the personnel and the coaching staff to pull it off I think, on paper anyway.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Yep. If we can get some mobility on the third pairing we will have a scary defense, even if the third pairing isn't exactly all that good. I think guys like Karlsson, Subban, Burns and Letang & Co. have really given GMs the idea that mobile defensemen who can get the puck up the ice for an offensive attack are the way to go moving forward.

I guess we will be testing out that old adage that the best defense is a good offense. This is a huge shift in philosophy from just three or four years ago, but I welcome it. We have the personnel and the coaching staff to pull it off I think, on paper anyway.

Agreed, in our series with San Jose, Burns gave us fits everytime he carried the puck in the zone.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Certainly not suggesting anything close to scale, but Nystom's waiver announcement came hours before the trade announcement. Just sayin'.

Overall, gaining $1.6 mil this year is really nice. And I agree on the mobility and expense points. Jackman was a decent #6, but not a $2 mil one.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Gotta think we are bringing in a top six forward. Either a second line centre or first line wing.
After nystrom and Jackman buyouts, forsberg deal and the Weber trade, how much cap space do we have to spend on free agency now?

And the only guy left to sign is Jarnkrok right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad