Barracuda News & Discussion VII

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Blumel hits Wiesblatt as a retaliation for a hit Ozzy just threw. Ugly hit. Wiesblatt's shaken up but maybe staying in the game. Bellerive immediately dropped the gloves and started throwing hands at Blumel.

Penalties end up being very weird. Blumel gets two for interference and five for boarding, and a game misconduct. Bellerive gets five for fighting and a game misconduct. At least that's what the AHL box score says.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

2-1 win from the Barracuda (Texas scores with 13 seconds to go), and this might've been one of our best performances of the year, all-around. PP looked dangerous, PK went 3 for 3, outstanding goaltending.

One guy who's gone under the radar who's put together some good games down the stretch is Georgi Romanov. Even without the shutout tonight he made 41 saves. Some huge ones, at that. He's leaps and bounds better than he was when this season started and that bodes well considering we've still got him under contract next year.

Thompson was pretty good, definitely looked at his best on the power play and had an assist on the Lindblom goal. He seems like he's still getting used to the team, which is understandable.

Last edited:

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

Wow, Makiniemi is finally playing again.

Same lines/personnel otherwise.

Stars are wearing some sort of anniversary jersey, and they look like practice sweaters. What an awful look.

Last edited:

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Been a back and forth first 11 minutes with not a lot of whistles, but it's scoreless and the shots are just 3-1 Cuda.

I like our puck movement so far, though, we look solid.

---

End of the first. Lot of passing, not a lot of shooting. Makiniemi did have a big save right near the end. 0-0, shots are 7-5 Barracuda.

Last edited:

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Stars score, trickling a weak one through Makiniemi, who got pretty fooled on that one. 1-0.

Pft, and about 20 seconds later, a rebound goes right to Blumel, who makes it 2-0.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Wiesblatt! Wow. That was actually a heck of a drive and goal. 2-1 Texas after the goal from the birthday boy.

Last edited:
Reactions: cheechoo

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
I wasn't going to mention the feed again, because yesterday it kept dying altogether and I spent a while complaining. Today it's flickering, and getting worse as the game is going. This is becoming hard to watch. Like, literally difficult.

Two straight games in Cedar Park and two straight games with technical issues. I dunno if this is a common thing for them, but I'm glad we don't play here very often.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
The Stars have had four power plays during these two games. All four of them have been on penalties to Artem Guryev.

He started throwing punches after an extra poke on the goalie, and he might've hurt his shoulder in the process. Stars score on this PP with seven seconds left in the period to make it 3-1. That's your score after two.

Kind of the opposite of yesterday. Yesterday we got dominated in the first period, turned it around after that. Today we played pretty well in the first, then the Stars just came out and were all over us. Shots 18-4 Texas in that period.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
By the way Guryev has not returned after that incident at the end of the second, so we're down another defenseman.

--

Puck skips over Thompson's stick resulting in a Texas 3-on-1 and a Jack Becker goal. 4-1 Texas.

--

Becker again on a big rebound. 5-1. It's all just starting to pile up a bit.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Knyzhov, from Kaspick, cuts the lead to 5-2. It really does feel like line 4 (Kaspick, Wiesblatt, Bellerive) are the only ones getting consistent pressure going.

Last edited:

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
With the goalie pulled, the Cuda get one more with thirty seconds to go. And yep, it's Sabourin with the goal as the extra attacker, but it's set up by Wiesblatt. Line 4 strikes one more time.

Texas then gets an empty netter ten seconds later anyway to make the final 6-3.

Last edited:

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

You can see the Guryev injury @ around 2:12 of this video. I'm not really sure how he hurt himself.

Barracuda were the better team in the third, but Stars goalie Murray was good enough to keep us from getting back into the game. Shots in the third were 19-7 Cuda.

Makiniemi started well before he fell back into his usual issues, i.e. rebound control and whiffing on one each game. I think at this point I've got him firmly behind Romanov. Not great for him when his contract is up at the end of the year, especially with all the time he's missed.

Wiesblatt does seem to be at his best when he's the most offensively talented player on his line. He did well on a line with Marek and Kemp earlier in the season, now he's got something going with Kaspick and Bellerive. Two points for him today, a goal and an assist. Seems like if you put him on a top-6 line, though, he becomes invisible on offense. Kaspick and Bellerive also had two assists each tonight.

I have to shout out my guy because nobody else will. Final score 6-3 Stars. Ethan Frisch: +2 with an assist (He was +3, but he was out there for the empty netter at the end). I'm really hoping they bring Frisch back next season, even if it's just another AHL deal. He seems to be the only defenseman we have whose specialty is "playing defense."

Last edited:

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
AHL trade, according to the transaction wire: Barracuda trade Jordy Bellerive to the Syracuse Crunch for Joe Carroll.

If anyone's wondering, the AHL trade deadline is actually tomorrow, hence why a trade is still happening down here.

Last edited:

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Was praising our fourth line after last week's game and now two of the three of them are out the door. Wiesblatt and Bellerive replaced tonight by Vincent and Studnicka. Studnicka returning after just two games from an eye injury he suffered when he took that puck to the face at our last home game.

Guryev is out injured, so Kinal draws back in.

New guy Joe Carroll isn't playing.

Last edited:

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Kinal got caught flat footed and Rockford gets a breakaway and goal to make it 1-0 early.

Later Romanov's goal stick flew into the air and got wedged in the mesh above the glass behind him, so he was playing without one for a while. I have never seen that before, that was bizarre. Sabourin eventually went back there and poked it down, during play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad